Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • I know it’s awful up there, but campsites in Northumberland and the Borders?
  • IHN

I fully appreciate that it’s an utterly inhospitable, barren wasteland, with nothing at all to recommend it to visitors, but I think we’re going there in the campervan or ten days or so in late June. Lord knows why.

Any recommendations for nice campsites, places, things to do? When I say ‘nice’, I mean, you know, relatively speaking.

Drac

Budle Bay or Warren Mill campsite.

What sort of things do you like to visit?

jon3bvveb
    Free Member

Dunstan Hill near Craster for coast

Clennel Hall near Alwinton has touring site and does britstop in carpark for campervans

GrahamS

Warren Mill seconded. Good site for easy access to Bamburgh:
    https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=2991

gauss1777
    Free Member

I have stayed in a tent at the campsite in Beal, which is inland from Holy Island – it was nice.

ElShalimo

Springhill Farm, Seahouses

Annstead Farm, near Seahouses

Proctors Stead, Near Craster

The Barn at Beal, near Holy Island

There are lots and lots of threads on here about things to do up there.

wallop

Definitely not following this.

IHN

Thanks folks

What sort of things do you like to visit?

Pretty much anything that can be visited with a dog; castles, beaches, general countryside, nice towns, pubs, that kinda thing.

Drac

Pretty much anything that can be visited with a dog; castles, beaches, general countryside, nice towns, pubs, that kinda thing.

There’s a couple of castles Bamburgh allows dogs, countryside you want Ingram or Coquet.

Towns Wooler, Berwick, Almwick and Amble or villages like Craster.

National Trust there is Cragside or Wallington amongst others.

Small animal zoos such as Northumberland Zoo and Kirkley Hall.

Steam train there’s Etal for a miniature one and Aln Valley for the real thing.

Beaches miles and miles of them.

SaxonRider

Dunstan Hill near Craster for coast

We stayed here for a few weeks about five years ago, and loved it. There was a trail we walked down to the beach every day, from which it felt like you could see all along the coast in both directions.

Highly recommended.

IHN

There’s a couple of castles Bamburgh allows dogs

Awesome, we can go and see the home of Utred, son of Utred.

nbt

We’ve used the Caravan Club site at Powburn a couple of times, it’s nice.

bikebouy
    Free Member

inhospitable, barren wasteland

Eeeey, Tek a cooooat an a brolly wit ya.

gobuchul
    Free Member

dog; castles,

Dunstanburgh. Fantastic location.
    Warkworth. Beautiful little castle.
    Etal. Lovely little village not much castle left.
    All are dog friendly.

Lindisfarne Castle, offer a free dog sitting service, they will look after your hound at the ticket office while you explore inside.

The majority of pubs are also dog friendly.

The College Valley in the Cheviots, just past Wooler, has some lovely walks, a good choice of easy low level stuff but you can take in some of the tops either side.

GrahamS

Beaches and castles?

Well there is always the Coast And Castles cycle route (NCN1) that runs along the coast from Edinburgh down to Newcastle. Lots to see along that!

http://www.cyclenorthumberland.org.uk/listing/The-Coast–Castles-Cycle-Route-NCN-Route-1
    https://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/coast-and-castles-south

senorj

“Awesome, we can go and see the home of Utred, son of Utred!”
    Can I come too?!
    🙂
    Bookmarked btw.

lucky7500

I’ll just throw Scoutscroft caravan park in Coldingham in to the mix as well. It’s 10 miles or so over the border in to Scotland. Beautiful part of the coastline, plenty of walking, including long distance paths and no shortage of ruined castles, fortifications and priories in the local & surrounding areas!

hodgynd
    Free Member

If it’s a nice day take a Farne Island trip from Seahouses..

mechanicaldope

Might be controversial but I thought Alnwick Castle was crap. The weird modern tv’s to show the place is lived in etc just took away from it for me.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘I know it’s awful up there, but campsites in Northumberland and the Borders?’ is closed to new replies.