Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • I know I'm being optimisic but – fast rolling dry tyres
  • molgrips
    Free Member

What’re your favourites? 2.0 should be big enough. Oh and durable for road.

wiggles
    Free Member

Specialized fast trak

nedrapier

Thunder Burts

stevied
    Free Member

2.2 Ardent Race is feels really fast but has pretty good side knobs for a bit of bite when you crank things over.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s either a small ish mtb tyre or something like a Nanoraptor. I wonder if a Nanoraptor would be noticeably faster on road?

bigyinn
    Free Member

I quite racing ralphs on the back, although they are a little too fragile for heavy stuff.

Northwind

Just how fast? Specialized Captain is ridiculously good- as fast as an ardent but much grippier especially with mud. But it’s not super fast, it’s just fast. Small Block 8? Very fast on tarmac, surprisingly grippy, but **** all use if it muds.

AlexSimon

If you need it to be a bit tough at the same time, then Ardent Race EXO is a nice tyre.

Clobber
    Free Member

Rock Razor

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think I need it tough. It’d probably be used if it stays dry so.. hmm.. small block 8 could be good.

beano68
    Free Member

Rock Razors are very fast rolling teamed up with a HD front

kerley
    Free Member

I back that up based on my experience of Race King Protection. Pretty quick rolling and very good puncture protection.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

If you can hunt fown a set of old Conti Twisters they’re really quick.
    Thunderburts likewise and are the modern schawlbe equivalent.

molgrips
    Free Member

Thunderburts look great but what about wear? I’m not going to be racing, this is more about longer rides covering ground.

jam-bo

Ikon’s, did 400 miles in Iceland on them last summer. Fast & tough.

Awful in mud and comical on wet grass though.

aP
    Free Member

Teravail Sparwood – working for me so far.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Dunno yet but of course they’ll be drifty in hard corners and longevity won’t be as much as a deeper treaded tyre.
    I put it on the rear only as expect my front to grip being a racing ralph for example.

If you’re looking to stick a thundeburt on both f&r, I wouldn’t suggest doing so.

rickon
    Free Member

I live in Scotland, so when I want fast rolling tyres for the conditions, it’s sticking on some Trailstar Magic Marys.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Bonty FR3, if you can find any.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m riding a rigid 29er on probably 50% road. I should probbaly be on CX tyres shouldn’t I?

njee20
    Free Member

f you’re looking to stick a thundeburt on both f&r, I wouldn’t suggest doing so.

Disagree, Burts are waaaaay more capable than they deserve to be. Worst thing is their tendency to break away under braking. The actual traction/grip is very impressive.

I’d recommend those. Wear is good IME, on par with other Schwalbes, so not world beating, but acceptable considering it’s a lightweight race tyre!

If you want something tough Bontrager XR1s are good. But they’re heavier, slower and less grippy than Burts, just tougher.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

That’s actually what I meant, they are drifty at times.

Northwind

molgrips – Member

I’m riding a rigid 29er on probably 50% road. I should probbaly be on CX tyres shouldn’t I?

Sounds like a way to make it equally bad at everything tbh

molgrips
    Free Member

Well what would you do with road and hardpack non technical trails? 2.4 is overkill and more draggy, no?

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Ok then sounds like you have your heart set on CX tyres.

Northwind

I’d go a bit bigger but fast, low volume and rigid and low grip is a pretty brutal combo. Not sure what, though. Quite a lot of what I’d go for, is only for 26er I think, like the fat small block. Hmmm.

molgrips
    Free Member

So you think 29er with 40c is going to be worse than a CX in terms of ride?

Bear in mind that if I had a CX I would probably be riding it on this stuff.

Tbh I would probably go 2.0 or 1.8 but they aren’t fashionable nowadays.

Northwind

I think it’ll be exactly as bad as cx probably. I mean, that’s just me, if you’re good with that then ignore me obviously.

wiggles
    Free Member

1.9 renegade?

milfordvet
    Free Member

I ride Thunder Burts, the lightest Raceguard, 440g for XC in the New Forest. Still run latex tubes. Truely awesome speed and acceleration. Race Kings are also good. Tried the protection version, after that rolling resistance test, and there is certainly more carcass too it.

The Thunder Burts dont clog with mud and they give superb traction even in poor conditons. I ride mine through winter, but know that while they are alittle more sketchy i am travelling faster. Almost no hum on the road. Miles better than small block 8’s and about a chainring faster than Rocket Rons.

The continental rubber black chilli probably lasts longer than the Schwalbe, the tests also show that, but thats mileage dependent on what your doing. The Thunder Burts are lighter than Race Kings so acceleration is better.

Just tried XKings and impressed with them, roll very well considering the extra grip provided. More weight with them though.

Thunder Burts seem exceptionally good tyres if your XC with connecting road sections bent. Cheapest in Germany.pp

If you want to go fast, you’ll also need light rims, Crests or equivalent in weight/ bor/ trace etc.

kerley
    Free Member

Well what would you do with road and hardpack non technical trails? 2.4 is overkill and more draggy, no?

Pretty much the surfaces I ride on in New Forest. I ride rigid single speed so find the large volume of the Race Kings to be a help with a bit of comfort. The bigger tread area and small amount of grip also helps with the little steeper standing climbs. They also inspire a bit more confidence than a 1.9 when hitting fast corners, ruts, roots etc,.

Last year I was using semi slick 1.9 tyres which felt faster and felt like they rolled better but Strava says they made no difference.
    Agree with milfordvet that if you want light then you also need to make sure you have light rims. Once my Race Kings are worn out I will be trying Thunderburts though.

dickie
    Free Member

Conti X-King fan here. I tried Maxxis Ikon & Racing Ralphs but these make a hum on hard stuff which to me sounds like drag.
    So went back to Conti X-King Protection in 2.2 which feel much faster & are silent.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I had racing ralphs on the antbem but changed to a ground control up front. V fast but can get sketchy in the loose stuff.

rOcKeTdOg

Crossmark

jonnyrockymountain

bontrager XR1 or XR2 team issue versions

alextemper
    Free Member

+1 for the XR1 Team Issue. Fast rolling and I’m surprised how well it copes in a bit of mud.

Saccades
    Free Member

Reading this with interest, doing a solo at bonty 24/12 and I don’t think fat alberts/nobby nics will be of any help if the course is dry.

BadlyWiredDog

So you think 29er with 40c is going to be worse than a CX in terms of ride?

Bear in mind that if I had a CX I would probably be riding it on this stuff.

Tbh I would probably go 2.0 or 1.8 but they aren’t fashionable nowadays.

It depends on the hardpack to be honest. Cross tyres are fab on smooth stuff, but properly unpleasant on washboard-type ripples and anything rocky because they have no much cushion to them at all.

Reading this with interest, doing a solo at bonty 24/12 and I don’t think fat alberts/nobby nics will be of any help if the course is dry.

On the 24/12 front, I soloed it in the mostly dry a few years back on Racing Ralph 2.25s front and rear and they were good. The extra volume gives you a bit more comfort over roots without slowing you down on rolling resistance.

Ideally have a spare set of wheels with something grippier in case it does bucket down. Beavers work for me if its really wet – grippy but still quick -, but a Nobby Nick front with a RR rear would give you a bit more bite if it’s greasy rather than muddy.

Bear in mind that in the small hours of the morning when you’re tired and spaced out, your line selection may be less than perfect, so it’s nice to have something with a little bit of bite up front – I rode a few laps on my Ragley Ti simply because the slackness made for a more relaxing ride and it was a gas on the downhills too.

HTH

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘I know I'm being optimisic but – fast rolling dry tyres’ is closed to new replies.