Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • I know BBC standards have slumped, but…
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

Wimbledon 2day?

FFS!

grenosteve
    Free Member

It’s awful. Just show the highlights and get some expert feedback, that’s all we want!!

ohnohesback
    Free Member

What irks me is the use of textspeak in the title.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Is it not to do with it being on BBC2?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Perhaps so, but that’s no excuse.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh bore off gramps. 😀

fasthaggis

^^mindreader 😉

slowoldman

I agree. It’s the sort of thing you might expect on the commercial channels.

bigrich

In our time is packed full of whimsy these days.

Harry_the_Spider

Wait until the Olympics on Eurosport. That will be an unwatchable advert-fest.

bigrich

Those who complain about the BBC really need to live in a country without the BBC for an appreciable amount of time.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve lived in a country without the BBC for over a quarter of a century. The occasional visit to the UK is enough to remind me that it’s simpering royalist/government propaganda for the compliant masses. I made the effort to get the channels on satellite but erased them some time in Gulf War II when it became clear the BBC was Blair’s puppet and not showing really important things other nations in Europe were getting to see.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I’ve lived in a country without the BBC for over a quarter of a century. The occasional visit to the UK is enough to remind me that it’s simpering royalist/government propaganda for the compliant masses. I made the effort to get the channels on satellite but erased them some time in Gulf War II when it became clear the BBC was Blair’s puppet and not showing really important things other nations in Europe were getting to see.

Like?

bigrich

yeah, nice one.

Edukator
    Free Member

German TV trailed Hans Blix and for anyone who watched the coverage of his many visits it was clear in the final weeks of inspections the Iraq authorities were playing the inspections game and if any WMDs remained they were a few old chemical shells that couldn’t be fired very far.

The BBC showed almost no anti-war argument in the run up to war. Did you see Dominique de Villepin’s prophetic speech to the UN in full when he got as far as the long term consequences?

The “must support the troops” thing was pure propaganda. When European TV crews were trailing the “clearing” operations and reporting a series of atrocities against civilians being committed by British and US troops. The BBC level of civilian casualties being reported was unrealistic given the amount of destruction in civilian areas.

ninfan
    Free Member

Wasn’t this actually a storyline in the last series of W1A?

D0NK

The occasional visit to the UK is enough to remind me that it’s simpering royalist/government propaganda for the compliant masses.

TBH whenever nicholas witchell appears on the news I have an overwhelming urge to switch off, now there’s a man who can turn royalist simpering up to 11.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Too bloody early for the hard workers too. Have caught any of Winbledon so far which is irritating. 😉

Plus one for the gramps badge – oh for a bit of Dan Maskell! Clare balding is normally great but starting to get the over exposure issue now. She will be a national treasure soon.

Loved her at the Olympics with Thorp and Foster, The mixed up sexual tension was brilliant!!!

slowoldman

Strange how the BBC always used to be accused of left wing bias.

timba
    Free Member

Their standards as custodians of the public purse would benefit from scrutiny:

Many of the live feeds that I see on the BBC News have technical problems. Why bother if a live feed doesn’t add anything to the story?

Flying UK news teams out to Nepal (as one example). Use the same budget to fill the same seats with useful supplies for the people AND contribute to the local economy by using local news teams

Use of video shot from an expensive helicopter that adds nothing to the content of the story

Keeping top-earners on TV long past their sell-by date

lornholio
    Free Member

Is Sue Barker still presenting the tennis, and has anyone taught her how to read an autocue without saying “ehhh” 2-3 times per sentence yet?

bigG
    Free Member

Good news, sort of.

DezB
    Free Member

“In a scathing review in the Daily Mail, the show was referred to as “super right-on” and “tooth-achingly trendy”.

i’ve decided to 2 watch it and really like it a lot.

nemesis
    Free Member

BBSwimbledon, anyone?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Balding replaced John Inverdale as the host of the BBC’s Wimbledon highlights show, two years after he was accused of making sexist comments about women’s champion Marion Bartoli.

And now he is trying to commentate on actual tennis matches – what a joke.

What’s wrong with having ex-players or people who actually know about tennis commentating?

Richard Gasquet changing his tournagrip tape several times on a hot and sweaty day isn’t at all surprising – except for John.

And after Gasquet got a foot fault he exclaimed that it is surely time to change such an antiquated rule – Peter Fleming replied “No – Why?” – he took the “there’s not enough time to answer that” option rather than show some more of his ignorance.

molgrips
    Free Member

The occasional visit to the UK is enough to remind me that it’s simpering royalist/government propaganda for the compliant masses.

You’d better tell the government cos they hate the BBC and think it’s left wing. You’re by far the best placed person to tell them this cos you don’t live here and don’t watch it.

The BBC showed almost no anti-war argument in the run up to war

Well I watch BBC news mostly and I was well aware of it. I wonder how that happened?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘I know BBC standards have slumped, but…’ is closed to new replies.