Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • I knocked myself out falling off my bike!
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

On the grassy descent off Moughton Scar yesterday. I was following the others after stopping to take photos of them. Next thing I knew I was surrounded by laughing people when I asked a newbie for the 10th time who he was 🙂 I must have landed on my camera pack as my chest is sore and the lens hood is broken. All I have to show for it is 2 small grazes on my knees! I think I lost about 15 minutes altogether, though they had to stop me getting back on my bike while still semi conscious, and when I returned to nominal lucidity I had no idea where I was 🙂 I think I must have a "glass jaw", as I've never seen anyone knocked out by a fall, and it's happened to me twice now.

ashfanman
    Free Member

You were out for 15 minutes? I'd recommend going to A&E to get yourself checked out. Particularly if it's happened twice…

jwr

That sucks. Only knocked myself out once. Came off a very small jump at the wrong angle, went over the bars and binked my head. Not fun at all. Felt separated from reality for a few days, but no long term damage (not sure how you'd actually notice though!). I've had plenty of worse crashes (including ones where I've hit my head harder), so I'm not sure if it's the angle or type of impact that's important.

Take it easy for a few days.

-j

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

lol i guess its its a good thing if you don't remember falling, i hate being mid air thinking shit this is going to hurt! lol

Woody
    Free Member

15 minutes is a long time to be 'out of it' and concussion can be nasty. Have you had any other problems since eg, blurred/disturbed vision, nausea, memory loss, more tired/sleepy than usual since the event. If so, definitely worth getting it checked out.

duntstick
    Free Member

Tch, and no-one else had a camera handy?

mafiafish
    Free Member

I had my first knock out the other day, very strage feeling just after comming round and for the next day. definately go to A+E though!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

A&E is way too boring unless blood is coming out or bones are broken! Anyway, I'm seeing a consultant on Wednesday after the possible TIA I had last month so that will have to do 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Have you had any other problems since eg, blurred/disturbed vision, nausea, memory loss, more tired/sleepy

no after effects at all – straight back to what I laughingly call 'normality' 🙂 I don't think I was out for more than a minute, but it took me a while to become lucid…

Dales_rider
    Free Member

The thing you may not want to think about but could be the case……

You were unconscious before you fell off the bike.

Happened to a friend of mine a couple of times, it was only when it happened when he was walking and didnt have a helmet on that he was diagnosed. Sorted now.

Wont say what it was as its several things it could be, I'll leave that to the consultant.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

i hate being mid air thinking shit this is going to hurt!

IME it usually doesn't – pain comes later. None of the serious injuries I've had hurt at all at the time – collar bone, wrist or finger.

ashfanman
    Free Member

I really would suggest you go to A&E. You were out for 15 minutes – the point at which brain injuries are considered 'moderate', as opposed to 'minor' – and suffered post traumatic amnesia. It may be boring, but surely less boring than not going to A&E when you really should have…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I tested myself by seeing if I could stand on one leg with my eyes closed and touch the tip if my nose 🙂 And there's no gap in my memory other than that exact period, I remember all the rest of the ride before and after…

TooTall
    Free Member

Now if only someone had positioned the comatose sfp properly and inserted a bunch of wild flowers where the sun don't shine, we could have the photo of 2010 right there. Wasted opportunity there.

dasnut
    Free Member

christ – amusing story turned into "you're going to die" thread by the miserable stw users.
    go get a life

RustySpanner

I've read that a knock on the head can lead to changes in personality.

Fingers crossed then, eh? 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I've read that a knock on the head can lead to changes in personality.

no such luck :o)

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

i must of had a right knock n the head then lol

RustySpanner

More importantly, is the camera OK?
    I said you'd end up landing on that thing sooner or later!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

the camera is still working fine 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

glad you are ok SFB look after your health glad your mind is unnafeected -that is not a complimnet just saying you are still an arrogant c0ck 😉

yetiguy
    Free Member

what we needed was a shot of you going down like all the sequence shots you get of everyone else.

Seriously though 15 mins is a long time to be out. Glad you are ok !

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

that is not a complimnet just saying you are still an arrogant c0ck

you'd have to knock my head right off to stop that :o)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

if only someone had positioned the comatose sfp properly and inserted a bunch of wild flowers where the sun don't shine

but I'm always asking people to do that…

rOcKeTdOg

you've had 2 concussions? this explains a lot! 😉

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

What Dales-Rider said. +1

A third-rate quack writes…

Unless you have a definite bit on your bonce which you know you hit, you must be presumed to have fallen because you lost consciousness rather than vice versa.

If you did hit your head with that length of post-injury effect I would want at least consideration of whether you need a brain scan today.

If you didn't hit your head, and you are already under investigation for a possible TIA (which these days should involve scan and consultant appointment within 7 days of the possible TIA) you should be rather worried, certainly not driving or cycling and probably admitted to hospital.

Drac

Simon it is a good knock so have take a little cautuion for a few days, if I recall you live alone so bit more tricky but read this anyway and seek help if any of the problems occur.

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Head-Injury-Instructions.htm

christ – amusing story turned into "you're going to die" thread by the miserable stw users.
    go get a life

I like spending my life caring for others, I make a pretty good living from it.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Thanks Drac, I arranged for my g/f to pick me up and spirit me away to her tower. I have none of the symptoms described in that link, although for a while this morning I experienced synaesthesia, where various physical sensations had a colour, but that has passed now, though she says I also have a lingering inability to grate cheese…

ton

clumsy old hobbitt 😆

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Ton, Chris & Nicky are the hobbits. I reckon myself a ranger (or if you're being unpleasant, Gollum). Since you are disallowed Bombadil that only leaves cave troll…

ton

😆

hora
    Free Member

I'm laughing at my own tags 😆

Drac

No worries Simon just keep an eye for them the next couple of days.

mud-dodger
    Free Member

What a shame.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Is this your latest attention whoring ploy Simon?
    😕 🙄

hora
    Free Member

Oh here come the SFBfanettes fawning over Simon 😉

5lab

actually *out* for 15 mins, or just lost 15 mins of memory?

The former would be rather worrying, the latter is probably ok. after this flight of fancy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzOAWHsS6xs I was only out cold for 2 mins, but lost about half an hour of memory (no way I was getting back on a bike, for starters)

crazy-legs

actually *out* for 15 mins, or just lost 15 mins of memory?

SFB's post up there says I don't think I was out for more than a minute, but it took me a while to become lucid…
    Shame no-one else thought to take pics of this…

zaskar
    Free Member

Always seek medical attention, knocked out will be pretty hard blow and make you feel dizzy for days.

lowey

though she says I also have a lingering inability to grate cheese…

I lol'ed at that. Glad your ok mate… I'd miss your pics.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘I knocked myself out falling off my bike!’ is closed to new replies.