Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • I keep suffering from colds help!
  • lungman

title says it all really now got my third cold in a row.

I eat well, don’t drink too much and hydrate well WTF am i doing wrong.
    I do work with the general public and have a 5 year old who brings home loads of germs but 3 colds back to back is just unfair 🙁

MrNutt
    Free Member

get a grip man its a cold, think yourself lucky your not in a warzone.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Are you in a warzone MrNutt? (Serious question btw)

Lungman, hydration is good. Make sure you take on plenty of vitamins, particularly vitamin c, get adequate rest (tricky with a 5 year old I know) and since this is a mountain biking website I’ll presume you do some exercise…have a week off! Let your body fight off the infection before you suppress your immune system again with a training regime/session.

lungman

cheers roadie

grantway
    Free Member

stay off of red meat and processed meats

brant
    Free Member

Since starting drinking pomegranate juice I’ve shrugged off most baddies.

transapp
    Free Member

Are there any supplements that work? (non homeopathic!)

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ve been prone to colds.
    What helps is good post ride dicipline i.e get warm dry and fed.
    I’m a very very poor sleeper, so getting rest helps.
    Healthy diet, check.
    No alcohol now at all.
    Minimal tea and coffee.
    Keep your bedroom dust free, clean and aired. Just in case it’s dust allergy?
    Don’t cram in things when tired
    And yes having young’uns doesn’t help.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I dont really suffer from colds but I do as my mum said and eat lots of fruit and vegetables.

sniff
    Free Member

Take a multi vitamin and some echinacea and you’ll be fine.

Or get a gas mask?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I found I got more when in a stressful job.

Markie
    Free Member

Regarding supplements, the full-on-hippy-fruit-loopishness that is aloe juice is sworn by by my wife after she broke free of a horrendous cycle of colds with its help…

lungman

cheers all thanks for your help

elaineanne
    Free Member

your swearing thats why ..get a grip. 😉

mintimperial

Are there any supplements that work? (non homeopathic!)

Zinc. (Probably.)

darrell
    Free Member

wash your hands more

oldgit
    Free Member

Don’t pick your nose after scratching your bum 😐

Eyepic
    Free Member

I used to have major problems with colds at certain times of the year…. then I found out that I suffered from tree pollen hayfever… At the moment it is Alder and Hazel that are giving me Gyp.. (just check you will see their catkins are out)… try an anti histamine.

GrahamA
    Free Member

wash your hands more

Came here to say this. Can’t find any supporting evidence ATM other than this

Maybe get one of those little alcohol gel hand washes that clip to your belt.

munkyboy
    Free Member

Wash your hands more and do not touch your eyes or stick a finger up your nose unless you know your hands are clean. I read that the cold can get in through the thin membranes of your eyes and nose. Might be BS but I have found it really works.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Wash your hands more and do not touch your eyes or stick a finger up your nose unless you know your hands are clean.

Yup. I high percentage of cold viruses apparently enter the body through the eyes (not just by touching them but also through coughs and sneezes) I can’t remember but I think it might be the majority….wear goggles ! 🙂

And although it’s obvious don’t allow yourself to get chilled. Better to be a little sweaty when you go out than to get chilled.

Eyepic
    Free Member

I used to have major problems with colds at certain times of the year…. then I found out that I suffered from tree pollen hayfever… At the moment it is Alder and Hazel that are giving me Gyp.. (just check you will see their catkins are out)… try an anti histamine.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Eat you own snot, earwax etc, build up your immune system.

ps: scabs are also a good supplement.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

Everybody must have differing levels of natural immunity, regardless of supplements or other preventative measures that you take.

I work in retail (mobile), in an evironment where I deal with hundreds of people in a week in close proximity. I touch their phones which have been near their faces and in their grubby hands as well as money which has no doubt been all sorts of places. If I get a cold during the year I consider myself unlucky, my colleague gets a cold every couple of months during the season and often brings it to work. We are the same age and lead very similar lifestyles.
    I certainly don’t have an especially great diet. The only thing I do go out of my way to ensure is that I get a decent amount of sleep.

Maybe some people are just more prone to getting them?

KT1973
    Free Member

Beetroot juice is meant to help. Haven’t tried it personally. Sounds like your a bit run down.

Taff
    Free Member

I was going to post something similar earlier. Had a cold every few weeks since November. And it’s starting to get on my nerves. I drink loads and rest when needed. Been taking vitamin c effervescent tablets but have no idea if they’re actually working. I’m on medication and these colds are having a major affect on their effectiveness. May go and see a GP but he’ll probably tell me to MTFU. like the sound of ponegranite juice, someone suggested beet root juice too.

One of the girls in the office suggested something interesting today. She’s a runner and said that drinking too much means you’re diluting vital vitamins in your body. Wondering if there’s truth in this as I drink a fair bit on a daily basis.

rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

If your immune system is down and not picking up even after rest then it could be an immune disorder such as aids.
    My advice would be to see a doctor and ask for a blood test to check your white blood cell count.
    Good luck and i Hope this helps.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Good call that ^^ ……..could be aids.

i Hope this helps.

I can’t see how it could fail.

Taff
    Free Member

could be an immune disorder such as aids.

Well that’s brightening my day already!

Did some research last night, discovered last night that radiotherapy might have an affect on the immune system. Had that 7years ago so not sure if that has had affect. Only thing that gets me is that in previous years Ive had a cold and got over it where as this year it feels like I’m a kid in nursery catching everything for the first time!

Cougar

Yep, as others have said. Vitamin C, Zinc, don’t pick your nose.

hels
    Free Member

Taff – ask that girl in the office if she believes in Homeopathy, I’m curious if that is allowed to stand together with the “drinking water dilutes the vitamins in your body” theory.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Are you in a warzone MrNutt?

worse, much much worse, Swindon.

on a more helpful note green star juicers are very good.

WackoAK
    Free Member

particularly vitamin c

Utter bobbins, it’s been debunked quite a lot but the 1930’s study that said it works is what people use to say it does…

globalti
    Free Member

I get one or two colds a year. It’s pretty simple really; get out of the habit of rubbing your eyes and picking your nose as this is how viruses get into your upper respiratory tract and infect the mucosa.

You can also reduce the chance of getting colds by ensuring that everybody washes their hands as soon as they enter the house from outside; this will reduce the numbers of viruses on door handles etc that everyone touches.

The story about vitamin C is bollocks, it arose because the body temporarily loses the ability to absorb vitamin c during a viral infection. However there is some medical evidence that zinc increases the mucous membrane’s resistance to infection.

Lastly buy a bottle or Corsodyl mouthwash and as soon as you feel that tickle at the back of the throat begin gargling three times a day with it; it is extremely effective against throat infections as well as oral problems like ulcers, gum disease, etc.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Vitamin C isn’t the saviour of cold sufferers that it’s pedalled as. Zinc is suposedly more effective.

From my experience the fundamental thing is getting proper rest and allowing your body to fully recouperate.

It takes longer than you think for your body to completely recover from a bad cold – beyond just when you ‘feel’ better.

justatheory
    Free Member

Carry a rabbits foot, don’t walk under ladders, smash mirrors or put new shoes on the table and you’ll be alright.

supertramp
    Free Member

I had the same problem and for years tried everything and was diagnosed with everything including tree pollen allergy, hay fever, dust, etc. etc. I had antihistamines until they caused problems with my liver, nose sprays, eye drops, antibiotics etc. etc.

Then I was referred to an Immunologist, apparently I had a low level of protective antibodies against ‘Haemophilus B’ Ii just copied that from her letter so don’t quiz me on it!) Apparently you are supposed to develop your own immunity by the time you are around five years old and I didn’t. These days kids are routinely vaccinated but when I was a lad they weren’t.

The result is that I can now breath through both nostrils – most of the time – for the first time in my life and I do feel somewhat better for it.

Though we also discovered I have a low level allergy to ‘perfumes’ which leave me with a constant low level allergic response, so I have cut perfumed products out of my life as much as possible.

My advice is to get yourself referred to an immunologist!

Cougar

It’s been debunked quite a lot

*Really*? Wow. Cheers, I’m not normally one for old wives’ tales, duly noted.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Re: Vit C and the debunking.

To clarify: What has been debunked is the myth that having lots of Vit. C in your system stops you getting colds.

What has also been shown is that having the recommended ammount of Vit C in your system is consistent with reducing the length of time the cold resides in your system.

This in no way suggests that Vit. C is the only thing which will help alleviate cold symptoms.

bruneep

have a 5 year old who brings home loads of germs

There lies your answer, toddlers are nasty things and contact should be avoided at all costs.

I have never been so unwell when my 2 were that age.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘I keep suffering from colds help!’ is closed to new replies.