Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • I just spent £250 on Meccano magazines.
  • The big pile at back left.

Dated 1931 to about 1940. The others are what I already had, smaller, paper rationed, ones from the ’40s and ’50s, then back to full sized in the ’60s.

~£2.50 each is a bargain compared to any modern magazine, but it’s a bit of hit when you buy 103 in one go.
    I’ve had the others for years though and still enjoy looking through them, so I’m trying to think of it as a long term investment.

mattbee

I have a huge stack of 60s and 70s ones that my dad left when he passed away. Love reading them.

yossarian
    Free Member

Captain I’m detecting high levels of geek

Jamie
    Free Member

Apologies. I’ve been drinking…

eskay

My parents had to clear out their elderly neighbours house when he passed away and in the will they were allowed to keep whatever they wanted from the house.

I went over one Sunday afternoon and my dad asked if there were any tools I would like from the outbuildings. I had a good scout around through what was primarly junk (old sacks, various suspect chemicals and gardening compounds). Right at the bottom of some boxes full of sheets was a load of old meccano including two steam engines. Most of it was in superb condition and there were lots of rare little parts in original boxes. An incredible collection that had not seen the light for many decades.

ThePinkster

Looks an interesting read but I’d rather spend 250quid on Meccano and make it up as I went along. 😀

DezB
    Free Member

project
    Free Member

A good read is a book called “Factory of dreams” about the history of MECCANO, Hornby and its sad demise after the death of Frank Hornby, great social engeering happened in that factory, and now all destroyed, look at Binns Road,Liverpool, on Google earth to see.

When youve read the book decide if it was poor management or poor trades union activities or just a change in childrens hobbies that made it go bust.

AngusWells

The Amazon price for Factory of Dreams makes the magazines look like a bargain. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1905472080/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new
    Still, the post and packing looks reasonable.

shermer75
    Free Member

Haha, love the ‘+ £2.80 delivery’

project
    Free Member
    iain1775
    Free Member

£20 for an as new copy on ebay the factory of dreams book
    My grandma worked at the factory for years when I was a kid so will read that with interest before passing it to my dad and uncles 🙂

choppersquad
    Free Member

Always a quality photo when Jamie’s involved. 😀

project
    Free Member

£20 for an as new copy on ebay the factory of dreams book
    My grandma worked at the factory for years when I was a kid so will read that with interest before passing it to my dad and uncles

I do hope youll find it the best 20 quid youve ever spent, so much social history in that book,great story and pictures.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘I just spent £250 on Meccano magazines.’ is closed to new replies.