Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • I just ran over a cat…
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

A mate of mine had a horse run into his car in the centre of Middleton (town near Oldham). All over the bonnet, thrashing around, owner screaming. The horse was fine but his Capri 2.0 Laser was written off. Good result in the end I think.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I hit a squirrel, right over him with the brakes locked. Squeezed his insides out like a tube of toothpaste. (grey one).

I was ok with this but there was a young girl sat in a parked car at the side of the road who witnessed the whole thing and I could see she was scarred for life. I still feel bad for the girl.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Anyone else managed to hit a bird with their windscreen?

An old colleague of mine hit a cow on his motorbike. Went straight through the middle of it. The cow and the blokes shoulder were never the same again.

sobriety
    Free Member

Guy I know hit a seagull at 70 on his motorbike, it cracked his helmet and gave him a pretty major concussion. He managed to stop, get off, put the bike on its stand and turn the engine off before he collapsed. He has no recollection of this.

Another friend hit a rabbit, whilst giving a lift to a rather lefty, militant vegan girl whose pants he was trying to get into. His cry of ‘my baby!’ as he hit the said rabbit rendered that quest forlorn.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

haha… I hope he swerved to get it 😈

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Hit a dumb coyote once. He just wouldn’t shift and stared at me as a headed downhill to run into him. Over the handlebars and he left the scene, didnt even leave his name and address! Pah. It was in the states on the great divide. Narrowly missed a grizzly on the same trip. Am happy I missed him!!!

slowclimb
    Free Member

Me and a load of mates were driving through to Edinburgh many moons ago in our ex Police Sherpa van, which for some reason we called Vernie, clattered a pheasant on the way there. Never thought much more of it but as we got further into town we could smell a weird cooking meat smell. We parked up on George Street (for any of you who don’t know Edinburgh George Street is right in the centre and this was during the festival…) as we were looking for a space we saw loads of people pointing at the van in a disgusted fashion, which we couldn’t understand, Vernie was a fine if somewhat utilitarian looking van. It turned out the pheasant had got jammed in the smashed headlight and was being slowly broiled in its own blood on the roasting proper old school headlamp that was still churning a quite incredible amount of heat… 🙂

portlyone

I hit a seal once. A job’s a job

Twin
    Free Member

I narrowly missed a group of sheep that ran out in front of me on my way home from work about 10 years ago. Unfortunately I didn’t miss the ram that was chasing them, if he’d kept running he would have made it but he stopped dead and just lowered his head. Dead ram, though my crappy old Seat Ibiza was untouched.

scruff9252

That was I believe a phesant

hughjardon
    Free Member

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb338/hughjardon8/007.jpg?t=1305712221

Cat may look run over, but the scrumptious little baby is only snoozing 😀

weedwizard
    Free Member

My boss ran over a rat once. It was in the middle of the road and he just kept driving assuming it would move out of the way. It didnt and got squished. He pulled into a supermarket carpark which was where he was heading, and the person in the car behind him was an old lady who witnessed it all and proceeded to tell him off in the carpark.

McHamish
    Free Member

I had to kill a lot of birds, mice and sometimes rabbits after my cat brought them home. I found a shovel was sometimes the best option…particularly if the cat had chewed it a bit and it was a bit bloody.

I once had to kill a mangled blackbird that the cat put on the end of my bed…I missed and scalped it.

When I was young a friend hit a pheasant, we got out and wrung it’s neck and i had it in a bag between my legs. I looked in the bag and it winked at me…much fumbling and ‘re-wringing’ ensued.

Did you know hitting a game animal and stopping to collect it is technically poaching…although you can pick it up if you’re the car behind.

When I was a boy my dad was driving and a deer jumped out in front of a mini going the other way…the deer went flying and the front of the mini was all stoved in.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Think I caught or just missed a rabbit the other day . . .

I came around the corner to find 3 rabbits having a conflab in the middle of the road, they didn’t seem at all bothered and only half-assed moved when I was past them!

With all the fields around in Shropshire, makes you wonder why they decide to sit in a very dangerous position, . . . . maybe it was some kind of game of chicken, . . . or a suicide pact!!

Crazy . .

Oggles
    Free Member

Tag teamed a pheasant with a Stobart lorry once. It was running across the road, glanced by my bumper then was stumbling around dazed in the road as it walked into the path of the lorry heading the other direction. Cloud of feathers. Comedy.

IdleJon

The Southern Yeti – Member
    Anyone else managed to hit a bird with their windscreen?

20 years ago driving through Southend in my old LHD Beetle, I watched as a pigeon slowly flapped down towards the road in front of me. It turned to see my green machine bearing down on it.

I would never have thought that pigeons’ faces could show panic but this one defintely did.

It missed my windscreen but bounced off the rounded bonnet in a blizzard of feathers. I never saw it again.

The panicky pigeon face still haunts my long nights…..

(I also drove into a pheasant in Yorkshire once. It lodged in the grille and filled the car with the pleasant smell of cooked pheasant.

I rode over a male peacock’s tail once. Just loss of dignity for the bird.)

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Got it proper good, went back to check it was dead but it’d scarpered.

can’t have been that good a hit if it survived. good hit = clean kill and no witnesses

anyway – once hit a deer. killed it and my mondeo was written off. score draw.

workmate once hit a gull with his 205 gti – it came straight through the windscreen. took a while to peg out and there was blood and guts all over the car. he was panicky when a gull came near his car for about a year afterward

also, a much, much younger version of me on a scooter headbutted a transit. repairs to transit headlight and my head needed sewn back together.

use for roadkill

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Fair point. I did go back to finish it off. Pretty sure it won’t be alive my sundown.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

own up, who was it?

rocketman
    Free Member

Have had the misfortune to collide with several creatures while motorcycling. A little sparrow-type thing hit me on the head and made quite a mess and a blackbird once flapped lazily out of a hedgerow and caught me square on the shoulder it was like a good thump from an 11-year old. Various rabbits/squirrels have literally run between the wheels they are very nimble and/or have a death wish. Mate had a Mustang and we hit a pheasant you think American cars are tough the pheasant was toast but so was the Mustang’s grille and bumper.

Have also hit a cat it exploded like a wet paper bag not good, not good at all.

Tiger6791

I hit a rabbit once. It smashed my front bumper 🙁

I had to swerve several times as it kept darting about but eventually I got the bugger!

philconsequence
    Free Member

my cat was killed by a car 🙁

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

It’s not all bad news Philly. Female colleagues love a story about a cat being killed. 🙂

Tiger6791
    TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Ouch!

I give you Chicken v’s Porsche..

philconsequence
    Free Member

i lied…. it was severely mangled, had to have it skull wired back into shape and efferyfing! he lived for another 12 years though cos he was, like surfmat, awesome.

couldn’t tell his skull was funny just looking at him, but if you looked at him in the mirror it was instantly obvious… very odd.

hit a cat with a mini once on the way back from a date in guildford, it was in upper-hale and the thing darted into the road – slowed down – darted back up onto fence – sped up- darted back into front of car 🙁 knocked ona few doors (was 3am, no collar on the cat… gave up after the nth angry person told me to go away). felt terrible!

martymac

hit a pigeon once, doing 62mph on the bus up the A1,
    i saw it flying towards me, but it veered upwards at the last second.
    i didnt hear any thud, so i assumed i had missed it, but about 5 seconds later it came sliding down the screen.
    it was a double decker bus, when i glanced at the upstairs passengers they looked a bit white!

philconsequence
    Free Member

ohhh as a kid we had a pidgeon type thing explode on the windscreen at 140mph on the autobahn… made us all jump and using the windscreen wipers to clear it off just spread blood and guts everywhere

sobriety
    Free Member

What about this…. Bambi in a Beemer

I though Bambi was actually a fox, remember reading the original story, apparently it happened at silly speed on an autobahn, and lit up every single light on the dash like a christmas tree!

Oh and I was a in a hire that me and my boss hooned around canada for 3 weeks at silly speeds, we hit a sparrow sized bird hard enough to leave a crease type dent in the roof, which we were pretty proud of…

matt_bl
    Free Member

FuzzyWuzzy – Member
    A cat hit me recently (honest, it looked like it was going to cross in front then panicked and ran along side the car and then I guess panicked again and ran into my car, luckily it just bounced off the wheel and then ran off :p ) but I did wonder what I’d do if I squashed one. It’s unlikely it would be from the houses immediately around so I guess it would be a case of me taking it to the vet but then who pays? Call me callous but I don’t fancy paying £100’s for someone else’s cat that had a death wish…

Hundreds of pounds! That’s either a cheap vet or all your doing is burying it.

Four grand the vet charged to rebuild our cat after he was hit by a car. Mind you he is mostly titanium now 😀

Matt

uphillcursing
    Free Member

1 x pigeon on the windscreen whilst on the A1. Was a glancing blow rather than head on but was still an explosion of feathers.

Had the standard issue Pheasant in the grille more than once. Not always a whole pheasant once I had noticed though.

Nine suicidal bunnies on a 3 mile stretch on road early one morning took some believing though.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Four grand the vet charged to rebuild our cat after he was hit by a car. Mind you he is mostly titanium now

Bugger me! You could get a new bike for that!!

McHamish
    Free Member

Jamie
    Free Member

…what did we do before Google image search.

superfli
    Free Member

I hit a cat with the car a number of years back. It was dark, cat was black with no collar, I hit it in the head. I stopped and checked the cat – big gash/hole in head, very nasty head injury.
    I picked it up, took it to the side of the road and rung its neck. Not nice, but hopefully a quickish death. Although the worst thing was, its not like a chicken’s neck, a lot thicker and tougher, I really struggled, but eventually the light faded from its eyes. RIP poor kitty.

austen

Killed a hare a couple of years ago on my way to work. It decided to run at top speed straight up the lane and under the front wheel of the mighty Kaffenback.

It was being chased up the road by another two, so guess I saved it from some kind of three-way-non-consensual action. Several holes in me and a lightly bent Open Pro was the outcome, think I can safely say that I won on that occasion.

Hit loads of things in the car, most gruesome was having to extract the back end of bird from the grill at the end of a long journey in NZ.

giantalkali
    Free Member

pigeon flavoured carnage ensued after I hit a flying rat at just over 100mph. Clipped it with the very top of the windscreen, all I saw in the rear view was a cloud of feathers. hey ho…

Was a passenger in a car that hit a fox, again at an offensive speed. My mate said ‘I think we should go back and check it’s alright, I’m in the RSPCA you know’. Despite this being around 15 years ago, he still pays his £10 per month RSPCA donation. We didn’t go back…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Just for the other side – I swerved to avoid a bird (feathered) on the road, rolled the car corner to corner leaving it with no body panel undented and no glass in it at all. Bird was untouched.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

TJ – I was taught never to swerve away from an animal. I guess that’s why.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Knew a girl who did something like that once. Put the car into a hedge swerving to miss Mr Floppy ears in the road. Silliness of the highest order.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘I just ran over a cat…’ is closed to new replies.