Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • I just hit something in my car and I feel crap
  • Pook

badger, big cat, fox I don’t know as it was a blur as it ran out in front of me. Managed to swerve a touch but not enough and I hit it it. Whatever it was was hefty enough to bend my valance back.

I was fearing I’d brought it to work with me too.

Feel like crap now though :o(

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

It happens, just bad luck

Stoner
    Free Member

the circle of life encompasses roadkill as well

just be glad it wasn’t a badger stuck in your wheel arch.

tazzymtb

you should have stopped….there good of been some good eating with that. You kill it, you eat it….simples

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Look on the brightside – you could’ve swerved into a cyclist or a car coming the other way.

Jamie
    Free Member

Look on the brightside – you could’ve swerved into a cyclist or a car coming the other way.

…but the soon to be culled badger would have been safe, which is the important thing.

Pook

it’d have meant going through a barrier on the central reservation prince john. I think the damage would’ve been a bit worse then!

piemonster

I killed Bambi just outside Braemar a year or so ago, that wasn’t good.

Being veggie I didn’t get a free meal, not being militant veggie I did regret not picking it up and supplying it to those that would have appreciated it.

I’m sure it fed something in the end though

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I hit a deer (just an ickle one) on the way to work some years ago now. I was pretty upset about it as I’d watched it die while I was waiting for the RSPCA to come out.

Anyway, I got to work, and told the lads that were helping me out – I think they found it hilarious that I cared at all. We were all sitting outside having a cup of tea at mid-morning and they were giggling away. They’d been into the kids’ toy cupboard, found the biggest toy horse they could find and strapped it to the bonnet of my car. Har de har.

hora
    Free Member

BADGER MURDERER

lowey

I once nailed a pheasant near skipton years ago. Stopped, in the boot, plucked and hung for 2 weeks in the shed. Man, was it tasty.

Stoner
    Free Member

dd- you reminded me of the time some friends and I eviscerated a cuddly toy camel, placed it into the middle of a country lane with a good basting of ketchup and took to a vantage point to watch drivers brake and swerve. happy days of adolescent annoyance.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Someone on another forum posted about his brother hitting a deer one night. Unfortunatly he didn’t stop to make sure. Turns out it was probably a cyclist 🙁

kayak23

A fair few insects have come to their end on the front of my car God rest their souls.

killwillforchips
    Free Member

Wait….. has anyone seen pooks wife?

😛 😉

nbt

Technically you’re not allowed to take home something *you’ve* hit in the car and killed, though you can take home something that someone else has hit and killed. This is to stop you deliberately driving over things and taking them home, as that would be poaching

2hottie
    Free Member

There’s two things I worry about running over in Australia (other than people) and they’re Kangaroo’s, they make a massive mess to your car and the other is snakes! they don’t always die and wait in the wheel arch so when you pull up at your destination they drop out and bite you back. Karma I guess!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

In my driving history I have run over…

A fox

A Labrador, felt really bad about this one but I don’t think walking it in the middle of the night with no lead down a country lane was the smartest of moves.

A pheasant shock wrecked the front end of my XR2

A teenager.

hora
    Free Member

Reminds me of the time in a NSL – straight road in summer, the only car infront of me suddenly slams on hard as I couldn’t see anything I drove round them- a ickle bunny hopped out from around the front of their car and bump bump bump bump under mine..

In the rear view mirror I could see a couple looking shocked and hurt.

cheers_drive

I kit a monkjack (muntjak?) deer on the way to work once. Killed it instantly and had to get bits of it out of the front grille. Initially I though I had hit a dog and then felt shook up for a few hours. Fortunately I was in a courtesy car and the damage wasn’t noticed.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I ran over a squirrel, properly smeared it into the road leaving it in a horrific mangled state but still moving. I reversed over it to finish it off.

This in itself is no big deal but the c8 year old girl who witnessed the whole thing is probably still in therapy.

Cougar

Think the only thing I’ve ever hit terminally was a rabbit. Being a soft shite card-carrying veggie treehugger, I’d to pull into a layby a bit further on for a quick gibber.

hora
    Free Member

Not so long ago I swerved to run over a Magpie in the middle of the road. I got it :mrgreen:

gonefishin
    Free Member

Technically you’re not allowed to take home something *you’ve* hit in the car and killed, though you can take home something that someone else has hit and killed. This is to stop you deliberately driving over things and taking them home, as that would be poaching

That’s a myth, you can take stuff that you’ve hit and killed. Having killed a fair number of pheasant in the past I’m not sure I’d want to eat any of them after their guts have exploded inside them.

DezB
    Free Member

I hit a fox years ago, not long after I started driving. Was pretty upset. Stopped, checked – it had gone.
    Saw a woman a couple of days ago, stop and pick up an injured pigeon. A pigeon! Didn’t see what she did with it, but thought it a bit strange.

nbt

Having had five mnutes on google, it looks like I was indeed mistaken. But maybe better safe than sorry, looking at this: http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Animals-and-Nature/Question397084.html#answer-1805903

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Here’s a sad story :'(

Driving to work one morning there was a bit of a heat haze and the road must have looked like a pond.

Anyway, two ducks swooped down in front of my car, I hit the female duck, the male duck then swooped round in a circle and landed next to her and I watched him nudge her body in my mirror.

Drove back home that evening and he’d been run over next to her, dunno how long he’d sat there before a car got him.

bigjim

I was watching one of those police camera programs on Dave, they were investigating a cyclist who had been killed in a hit and run in the dark, with only a few bits of headlight to trace the car by, when they got a call from a driver’s parent saying they had hit a deer on the same bit of road…

cheburashka
    Free Member

My kill count so far:
    1 human being
    3 badgers
    Countless pheasants, pigeons and other small birds
    Several ducks
    2 tawny owls

(train driver BTW)

A mate of mine hit a dog one night last week, stopped his train to check what it was and when he went back it was still alive, but obviously in a bit if a mess, and trying to pull itself up over the rail with its good front legs. It obviously wasn’t going to survive but he couldn’t bring himself to finish it off. He continued the journey, reported it asap and asked if someone could be sent to sort/move it (no point ringing the RSPCA, they can’t go on the operational railway).

He’s devastated and it’s really shaken him up, I can understand why – hitting a person who is there intentionally ie to end their life is bad enough but animals like dogs will be frightened and unable to escape. There are loads of dead dogs on the railway at this time of year, maybe from owners walking them near the railway letting them off their leads / gaps in fences or foot crossings etc / loads of squirrels this time of year taking advantage of the trees lining railway lines etc, but whatever, people need educating that if their dog ends up on the railway it’s almost certainly not going to get off again alive. I’d hazard a guess that the majority of dogs that go missing in the vicinity of railway lines are probably gonners, but people just don’t put 2 and 2 together.

Anyway, enough on that cheery subject…!

billysugger
    Free Member

I ran over a squirrel, properly smeared it into the road leaving it in a horrific mangled state but still moving. I reversed over it to finish it off.

You did the right thing.

I’m sick of having to kill rabbits around here who’s eyes are rotting out of their heads because rail company (sorry mods, allegedly) like to introduce disease every now and then to keep their numbers down. Poor little things.

ska-49
    Free Member

My dad ran over a nun on a bike a few years ago in Germany.
    Recently he got run over by a cop in the states!
    Karma..

MrGreedy

OK here’s mine:

Driving up the A1 fairly quickly, pheasant flies out from bushes at side of road straight towards my windscreen, then at the last minute realises the danger and pulls up to clear the top of the car. You lucky bastard, I think, shortly before remembering that there are four bikes on the roofrack and hearing a load thump.

When we stopped at the next services there were feathers everywhere and our spokes were covered in thin strips of pheasant flesh – on reaching our destination a couple of hours of air-drying later we had a large supply of DIY pheasant biltong.

andytherocketeer

Taken out a few lizardy things in French Guiana. They bask in the middle of the road, so you swerve to avoid them. They get up and run straight for the wheels!
    Loads of frogs too (amphibians, not French) in the road driving at night. Could hit one every few seconds on the main road from Surinam to Cayenne. Most jump into the underside of the car.

theotherjonv

I was on a night ride one time waiting to cross a country road when a bunny hopped out in front of a car which ran over its back legs. bunny was still alive and trying to drag itself off the road but clearly not in a good way. I said to my mate that there’s no way we could leave it like that and he agredd – and offered to hold my bike while i did it.

So i picked it up, intending to wring its neck and then realised I had never done it before and had no idea what to do / how hard to pull. And was left with the thought that the next car along the road might be witness to the sight of a fat man in lycra covered in blood and holding two halves of rabbit! “‘Ere sarge, we’ve just had a report of some sort of pervy devil worshipping sacrifice cult thing!”

So i smacked its head hard on a fence post instead. poor little bunny.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Coyote .. and real men apparently dont kill coyote’s.

Driving medium RV towards Grand Canyon, came out of bushes, bang. Stopped, and went back to see if there was anything to do and it had vanished. So left the forest and kept smoking the pot listening to the Doors… ok, the pots a lie, but it was a long drive across desert that day.

… fade to Riders on the Storm…

hora
    Free Member

theotherjonv me and a roadie had the same dilemma in the lakes- he wanged it as hard as he could against a flat road sign. It looked comical bouncing off with its front paws out in the air 😳

toby1

cheburashka – serial killer!

I’d hardly count them as your kills – as you say many of them are the victim of their own plans. Still can’t be a pleasant thing to experience!

D0NK

piemonster – Member

I killed Bambi just outside Braemar…Being veggie I didn’t get a free meal,being a veggie presumably you’re against unnecessary suffering of poor fluffy animals. Seeing as how you’d already dished out the pain wouldn’t the right thing to do have been to cook and eat it so it wasn’t all in vain?

Dad used to bring home stuff he’d hit, seem to recall he nearly rolled a car trying to clip a pheasant 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hit a Badger that was dragging a small haystack across the road, at about 60mph, couldnt find it post impact, but the bastard cracked my bumper and burst the radiator.

wrecker
    Free Member

Feel like crap now though :o(

I think that most well adjusted humans would. Not your fault, just unfortunate. Circle of life applies.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘I just hit something in my car and I feel crap’ is closed to new replies.