Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • I have created a Monster(cross)!!
  • LimboJimbo

It seems that, on every ‘what gravel bike’ thread, someone chips in with “what you need is a rigid 29er”. Well, I have one of those that has been sitting there, all steep angles and obsolete standards, that has been utterly neglected since the purchase of my Solaris.

So in order to mark it’s 10th birthday I thought I would cobble together something that could be used to explore my not-very-gnarly local countryside.

Parts are a combination of stuff I already had in the garage and internet bargain scouring.

Edited spec highlights;
    New bits
    Apex 1 HRD Brakes via that Planet X offer
    Apex 1 Derailleur
    11-42 SRAM cassette/Superstar narrow-wide 38T chainring, giving a road friendly usable range
    Cheapo 440 gravel bar, again Planet X

@JoB
    bar tape ‘cos I’m a nineties teenager

Recycled stuff
    Hope Pro 2 on Stans Crests
    X-Fusion Hilo dropper
    Thomson 80mm stem
    12 year old Stylo cranks
    14 year old SDG saddle
    Onza Canis Amber walls (again, the’90s), will probably swap these for something a little less draggy.

Please feel free to pick apart my spec choices, poor taste and lack of logo alignment, but bear in mind, that’s not my fence so it would be weird if I painted it.

slackboy

Yes, like that. A lot.

MrSparkle

^ wot he said. 👍

finbar
    Free Member

tres chic

LimboJimbo

tres chic

Murky buckets

damascus
    Free Member

@LimboJimbo what’s it like to ride?

As it fits proper tyres there’s not much not to like. (apart from the tan wall 🤮)

You just need some salsa woodchipper bars now. I’ve a used set in my box if you’re interested.

singlespeedstu

Welcome to 2008. 😉

2008_0101nyd20080022

2008_1102penmachno0026

LimboJimbo

what’s it like to ride?

I’ve only managed a quick mooch on it but first impressions are pretty positive. I was worried the reach would be a bit long with drop bars, but with an in-line post it’s actually okay.

There is a rutted BOAT near me that is a bit dull on an MTB but sketchy on my road bike with 28c Gravel Kings. It monstered it’s way through there so I’m thinking it will be ideal for exploring Cannock Chase and the Forest Of Dean when we can go further afield.

timbur
    Free Member

Is it really far away……

……or just very ickle?

LimboJimbo

Welcome to 2008

Pfft, not enough pink. 😉

LimboJimbo

Is it really far away……

……or just very ickle?

Ha, well that depends where you are I suppose.

You have triggered my Napoleon complex now, thanks.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Love me some monsterX thanks for sharing. Looks fun. I’d probably flip the stem but I’m a slowboat…

hardtailonly

Here’s mine. Genesis Fortitude frameset. Set up SS currently. 29er X 2.2 tyres. It trucks through stuff pretty well, but feels a bit cumbersome. It’s a kind of overlap with my SS steel 650 HT, and my Ti gravel bike. I like it, but not entirely sure about it, it feels like it combines the worst aspects of both the above bikes rather than fitting that sweet spot in between …

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG2F5C_FRe3/?igshid=1hht9htxjiij1

epicyclo

It’s hard to beat the satisfaction of making up a bike with all the spare bits lying around the garage.

The old Scandal is a very versatile frame.

It also makes a great gravel/rough stuff bike, and with a smooth 60mm tyre like a Big Apple it rolls really well on road as well…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘I have created a Monster(cross)!!’ is closed to new replies.