Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • I HATE wellington boots!
  • daftvader
    Free Member

But what’s out there that does the same job, but comfortable and warm? After 3 hours of standing on a river bank this evening my feet are killing me!

daftvader
    Free Member

@poopscoop yeah it’s still a welly tho… I need some decent support thanks to flat feet and plantar fasciitis! The joys!

Poopscoop

Ah,I see mate. Hmmm… Not so sure on that one but I bet someone has some suggestions. This is SDW after all.😁

w00dster

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/sh500-x-warm-mens-boots-bla-id_8505390.html

Any good?

I have them for dog walking, kept me dry and too warm so far this autumn.

notlocal
    Free Member

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AirBoss-Defense-4098-CBRN-Steel-Toe-Fire-Fighter-Fireman-Boots-Wellies-A7-SF1-/192897181674
    Issued these for work. Comfy, warm, grippy and steel toe. Go a size up from your normal.

maccruiskeen

How high to the tops need to be – would something like the Grubs Ptarmigan do the trick?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Le Chameau Vierzonord.

Worth every penny.

claudie

Would some fancy walking boot style inner soles help?

rone

Get lined Aigle boots.

Only rubbish ones are rubbish.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Get lined Aigle boots

Also very good. Mrs CFH has Aigle boots and loves them. Le Chameau area better fit for me.

willard

I understand where you are coming from but, as a dog owner, they are a godsend. Having some decent warm insoles will help keep your feet warm, as will decent socks, but just being able to slip waterproof foot covererings on an off when dogs need to poop is so much an advantage.

daftvader
    Free Member

I have tried all sorts of insoles etc… I need the waterproofing as the banks of the relief Chanel on my section of river I tend to fish, break with regularity…. I do use walking boots and gaiters the majority of the time, but need something more for the winter months….

Greybeard
    Free Member

A pair of good waterproof socks, with seals at the top:

https://www.dexshell.co.uk/DEXSHELL-WADING-SOCKS-ADULTS

plus possibly some wool socks under them, and a comfortable pair of walking boots, slightly oversized to allow for the socks. The boots don’t need to be expensive, or waterproof (£25 from Aldi?) but quick drying might be useful.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I use the skee-tex field boots in the winter for my pike fishing. Really comfy, not bad to walk in as I tend to roam along the bank, warm and supportive on the ankle.

https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/skee-tex-field-boots

bikebouy
    Free Member

Muck Boots FTW

franksinatra

Get lined Aigle boots

This.

There is a world of difference between cheap wellies and properly decent, lined, wellies. They couldn’t be further removed from cheapo Dunlops. My Aigles are the most comfortable footwear I own. Warm, supportive, grippy and super comfy. They make dog walking in winter less of chore.

benp1

I’ve walked for miles in my muckboots, and have worn them for hours

Disappointingly the sole has worn down to the extent that I’m going to need some new ones soon, there’s no grip in the slippery mud. I’ve asked about resoling and it’s not an option apparently

Have you tried popping an insole inside?

footflaps

Local mice love my wellington boots, they built a nest in them in the shed….

Boots now stink of mice urine, so not so good for me…

epicyclo

As per Greybeard, but with sandals instead of boots. The less water retained, the better.

Merak

Those Solognac boots at Decathlon have piqued my interest. Nice in brown.

newworldlobster
    Free Member

BOGS

like a welly but not a welly. used by those psychotic canadian fishermen and the like

https://www.bogsfootwear.com/shop/index.html

dashed
    Free Member

I like my Aigle wellies but no good for Plantar Fasciatis. They don’t have enough arch support for me and I can only wear them for short durations. I’d need to fit an orthotic insole, but much prefer my Meindl boots. Much higher than normal walking boots and space to fit a decent insole. I cover some very wet ground with them and been fine (on my second pair now – first pair did about 10 years) With decent gaiters you can cross streams no problem.

TiRed

Buy better long merino socks, and boots that fit. Lined are nice, but my narrow feet still like my original UK-made Hunters. Sadly the heels are worn and grip almost non existent. Chameau lined next.

daftvader
    Free Member

It is looking like a set of high leg hunting/field boot like meindel are going to be of more use to me…

DrJ

Aftrr the last welly question I bought some Aigle ones, but they were almost indistinguishable from the Decathlon Solognac ones. The size fit me a bit better, was all

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Warm in winter, cool in summer

£27 … jobs a goodun

CountZero

Shirley a quality set of orthopaedic insoles are all that’s needed? No boot or shoe, other than custom-built, will have anything other than a flat footbed, none that I’ve bought have, support is supplied by whatever insole is inserted by the manufacturer.
    Even the Meindle Desert Fox boots I wear need different insoles, I find the standard ones a bit too flat and hard.
    On that basis, Muckboots with a decent, properly designed supportive insole should absolutely fit the bill, they’re fantastically comfy, I wear just regular cotton sports socks in mine, with neoprene boot socks over the top, and I’ve walked eight or nine miles in mine.
    Which reminds me, I need to put mine back in the boot of my car, just in case I need them for a wet afternoon walk.

daftvader
    Free Member

i have had insoles made before by the NHS…. they really hurt my feet, maybe i should go to a proper chiropodist and pay for some to be made

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘I HATE wellington boots!’ is closed to new replies.