Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • I hate to say this but HOPE = RUBISH
  • SOAP
    Free Member

I’m a 100% sure HOPE will replace the axle FOC.
    It’s just shite we drove for 4.5 hours today to stay in a hotel with no riding tomorrow.
    That’s what’s made it rubbish.

ampthill

So i own a hope rear hub. I have never ever maintained a free hub ever. All the others have been Shimano. What exactly should I be doing to maintain it. I assumed it was all sealed

Artillerydave
    Free Member

The muck on the wheel looks like a wheel that has been ridden, some on here should try it sometimes rather than talking about it all the time, or mocking those that do ride.

Re: the axle snap, it is a known problem with the thru axle hubs, 10mm and 12mm for Hope hubs that they often snap at this point, I’ve snapped 4 over the last couple of years, always replaced by Hope. The last one they sent was steel replacement, then the hub shells started splitting after that.

They reckoned they solved the problem with the Evo hub, but I didn’t persevere to find out and switched brands instead.

Hope customer service is excellent, but I’d rather products that didn’t fail in the first place.

dan1980
    Free Member

Can someone explain how a bit (OK a lot) of mud could snap a 10 or 12mm tube with a 2.5mm wall thickness with an assortment of bearings, seals and spacer rings separating it from the outside world, as I’m at a loss to see how that’s possible….

It seems to me to be a manufacturers issue rather than user neglect.

takisawa2

The OPs bang in the middle of a 2 day trip with his Mrs…
    And he’s being chastised for for daring to post a pic of a dirty bike… 😕

Priceless.

Op, being a 10mm bolt-up, I’d run it. Just make sure it’s tight. I reckon it will be fine.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Hope kit is fantastic. Your thread title is sensationalist nonsense

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The OPs bang in the middle of a 2 day trip with his Mrs…
    And he’s being chastised for for daring to post a pic of a dirty bike…

Priceless.
    Really more that something broke and now Hope are spawn of the devil because he can’t get a specific part by clicking his fingers. If your going away for a special trip check things over first. There are countless parts on a bike that can snap and leave you unable to ride if the specific spare is not in stock.

plus-one

Sometimes bike kit breaks… Them’s the breaks(pun intended) luckily hope are great to deal with 🙂

Have a day off the bike and spend some quality time with the good lady 😉

kimbers

I had an lx rear mech snap as I was changing gear once SHIMANO = rubbish

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shoulda bought Shimano!

dan1980
    Free Member

Seriously, how many people would actually go as far as dismantling their hub to check their axle? To my mind it’s the part I’d least expect to snap on me.

Karl33to
    Free Member

Couple of other local bike shops to try are ‘run and ride’ and gnarly cycles, both very local to the chase.
    You could hire a bike from swinnos if all else fails too, not cheap if you want something decent though I’d imagine.

RustyNissanPrairie

admittedly I’ve snapped a few Hope axles over the years hence now running ‘greaseguard’ XT rear hubs. The rest of Hope stuff is good though.

ansdy

Sorry what has snapped here? The photo appears that the freehub has come out. The freehubs are only really held in by the engagement of the pawls and the seal, surely in their current state this could account for this?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

The axle. You know the bit the fhb slides on so the bearings do stuff

dan1980
    Free Member

It looks like the axle that runs through the hub (not the thru-axle which is removable – and is sticking out from the wheel) has snapped, and this runs into the freehub

So it should look like this with the freehub removed…

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/drivetrain-shifters-derailleurs-cranks/247620d1175310480-hope-pro-ii-rebuild-pics-dscf1451-small-.jpg

ansdy

Oh i see this now, thought the 10mm axle was in contact with the bearings

kimbers

if you look the axles has snapped off (around the bolt thru) at either end of teh 2 sections

the problem is there is so much crap in there irs hard to see whats going on

On at least one of the pawls either the spring has snapped or its just seized and wont be engaging!, its so dirty its hard to say

hope hubs do require a bit of maintenance ut an annual strip and regrease is well worth the hassle for something that will happily last for a decade(and still be relevant- pro2s can be converted to evos internally etc)

nedoverendsmole
    Free Member

God knows what the rest of bike rides like if that’s how you keep it. I would draw a line under the poor old horse, send it to glue factory and buy a new one to **** into the ground.

Mugboo

Had a 135 x 12 mm axle snap this year on Pro2 with a DT Swiss RWS maxle. It must have snapped while riding but I didn’t know till I removed the back wheel and the cassette rolled away. It’s gotta be worth bolting it up tight and seeing if it works.
    Hope obviously sorted it Foc as they did my 3 yrs old Vision 2 battery that stopped connecting. Great company, great serviceable products.

tomd
    Free Member

Looks like possible seized bearing has something to do with it. For balance I’ve had quite a few shimano freehubs and axles break AND they didn’t replace them for free at 5 mins notice.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

@tomd, scandalous, I hope you started a thread about it

paceface

Think I’ve got that axel in my shed. Let me know if you still need it. I’m based in Telford so not far away.
    Rich

globalti
    Free Member

Hope axles have been known to snap. So what? They’re lightweight. I’ve also had other axles snap. Hope will replace it free of charge, their after-sales service is excellent. Better clean the axle up though; when they see your almost criminal neglect of the hub they might not feel so generous.

….and it’s RUBBISH not rubish.

SOAP
    Free Member

How dose the rest of the bike ride you ask
    I think it’s ok
    http://youtu.be/zJQGd0j_KKM
    It’s a common fault with the 10mm and 12mm through axles and has nothing to do with dirt or seized bearing.
    Hope are a GREAT. Company but the axle in the Pro 2 is shite hence the Pro2 evo.
    Rubish or Rubbish who gives a toss ( get over yourself and ride your bike)

Rich if you could sell me that axle I’d come and collect it.
    GchippetteATmsnDOTcom

br
    Free Member

Buy a new wheel, then you’ll have a spare.

Macavity
    Free Member

paceface

Sent you an email SOAP

Rich

jekkyl

there’s a specialized shop in stafford, you could try there:
    Eastgate St, Stafford ST16 2LZ
    01785 220060

Failing that there are several good bike shops in stoke, 35 mins away.

Brian Rourkes:
    194 Waterloo Rd, Stoke-on-Trent ST6 3HF
    01782 835368

Swinnertons: (the same people of the shop on the chase)
    67-73 Victoria Rd, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire ST4 2HG
    01782 747782

Goldtec:
    Croft Road, Newcastle under Lyme, Staffordshire
    ST5 0TW
    01782 629462

hebridean
    Free Member

Why don’t you hire a bike for the day….that might be better than a ruined biking weekend?

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘I hate to say this but HOPE = RUBISH’ is closed to new replies.