Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • I hate to say this but HOPE = RUBISH
  • SOAP
    Free Member

So me and mrs SOAP had this little trip planned for a while now.
    Day 1 Llandegla
    Day 2 Cannock

No one local has a 10mm axle for sale 🙁

Anyone near Cannock got a rear wheel they can lend me for an hour or 2.
    Pretty please….

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Just put it back together. The frame will keep it together.

grahamt1980

Bugger. That’s a Wierd place for one to fail. Shouldn’t be loaded through there.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MTB-Rob
    Free Member

I have seen some dirty (hope) freehubs in my time but that is one of the worst I seen!

SOAP
    Free Member

Lost the penny washer. Doh!

weeksy

Looks more like neglect to me than HOPE being rubbish.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

So what’s wrong with it?

The axle has snapped.

Try cleaning yer bike once in a while btw….

jam-bo

The axle has snapped.
    Try cleaning yer bike once in a while btw….

Would cleaning it have stopped it from snapping?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Of course it wouldn’t, merely an observation on the howling state of the wheel.

Rorschach
    Free Member

definitely.

Rosss
    Free Member

Have you spoken to Swinertons on the Chase? They usually hold a lot of hope stock

ktmblag
    Free Member

i had a nightmare getting my cassette of the freehub after only about 2 week..not happy with hope.changed for a steel freehub and that’s well notched too

transporter13
    Free Member

Suck it up, these things happen. Why get all bent out of shape over a snapped axle?

Now if it was the the ratchet ring that failed then I’d be more inclined to agree 😉
    How can you let you bike get that minging? Disgraceful

SOAP
    Free Member

Tried One Planet and swintertons but it’s a 10mm axle so not really a stock item.
    Will try leisure lakes in Wolverhampton tmr morning, but not expecting a result.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Surely Swinnertons or OPA will have a normal QR axle kit in stock. Just put on of them in and refit a normal QR, sorted.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Penny washer?

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Yes I think cleaning/maintaining would help, I reckon one (or more) bearings have seized on the axle (and freehub) causing over loading twisting action on the axle, making the axle snap.

jeff

I rode my bike with a broken axle like that for weeks.

And got an immediate warranty replacement from Hope / my LBS

EDIT – not saying that’s a good thing, but it didn’t stop me riding and it was sorted out.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

i had a nightmare getting my cassette of the freehub after only about 2 week..not happy with hope.changed for a steel freehub and that’s well notched too

I used a cheap cassette and it notched my freehub shocker…….

ktmblag
    Free Member

mine was xt cassette..are these no good

singlespeedstu

wysiwyg – Member

Just put it back together. The frame will keep it together.
    Maybe with a qr holding it all together but not with a bolt in axle like that…

jeff – Member

Not with that axle you didn’t…

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I ran a broken axle with a maxle for 6 solid weeks in France. So why not?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Me too.

And got an immediate warranty replacement from Hope / my LBS

Me too.

EDIT – not saying that’s a good thing, but it didn’t stop me riding and it was sorted out.

Me too.

If you’d been arsed to clean your bike you’d have noticed. That axle’s probably been busted for ages.

singlespeedstu

mmmm ignor my comments, beer stoped me seeing the details of the picture. 😳

😀 for beer.

PJ266
    Free Member

Nahhh hope are great. I’ve battered my hubs all over Scotland/wales/alps for 4 years with no issues.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

I used a cheap cassette and it notched my freehub shocker…….

What a stupid and particularly unhelpful thing to write.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Slightly OT and not going to help the OP but can someone point out the problem. It just looks dirty to me, obviously it’s snapped but where in the pic?

SOAP
    Free Member

Rode BPW on the 27th and it was fine only noticed a sticky freehub, chain slack on the jumps after the B-line today.
    Dirty freehub = quite Hope 😉
    But I’m sure that has nothing to do with it snapping

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Back of the FHB. Basically where the parts mesh in the pic

khani
    Free Member

I opened the thread expecting more, and there’s not one comment about the title, standards are obviously slipping..
    That’s rubish…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It’ll be an alloy maxle. I snaped a tapered one (see what I did there?) & a straight one, both replaced FOC & finally to a steel one. No issues since.
    Hope are defo not rubish! (& not even rubbish)

flowerman
    Free Member

Soap why don’t you buy some bike soap and give your bike a clean before posting a part up on here!. And yes o am sure you could at least ride one day with a snapped axle

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So something broke and in the few days between christmas and new year there isn’t one available on your doorstep. Shit happens. The LBS probably don’t stock the bits as most people just order online so they would just end up with lots of parts gathering dust…

kimbers

Poor maintanence leads to failure which Hope will probably replace FOC and you are complaining ?

enigmas
    Free Member

Am I the only one who doesn’t see the problem with a bike with some mud on it?

5 minutes down the trail it’ll be splattered in mud again. I only ever give mine a brush down, unless it’s going in a mates car or to the lbs, the less water it’s exposed to the better imo.

kimbers

I think the issue is that it has mud in it !

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I think the reference was to the state of the internals of the hub. Grease isn’t usually that colour as stock..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

is that grease?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

the less water it’s exposed to the better imo

That’ll rule out riding for about 10 months in this country. If you don’t keep a reasonable handle on cleaning your bike, you are not maintaining it properly. I’d rather find a potential issue when cleaning/maintaining, than when I’m in the middle of the highlands.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Ya can’t over maintain owt !,ya can however under maintain !, then blame everyone !.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘I hate to say this but HOPE = RUBISH’ is closed to new replies.