• This topic has 40 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • I hate decorating….
  • MoreCashThanDash

Home alone to get the bedroom done. About an hour’s work to get the first coat finished. Then I reckon a quick blast on the Soul and a Cafe lunch to ensure it is dry before I start the second coat 😉

teef
    Free Member

I never do more than 2 hours a day decorating – that way you don’t get sick of it. After a few days it’s finished and it never seems too much of a chore.

jamiep
    Free Member

do you not have the ceiling or white bits you could be doing? 😉

jekkyl

get some tunes on, nice n’ loud. try this for size, new muscis from Technimatic.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-I5FDlNNHI[/video]

rone

Agreed. Hate it.

Do little bits myself, but pay a pro to do it properly.

Friends I know take weeks of work to do this sort of thing. I’d be on holiday or on my bike.

rocketman
    Free Member

Decorating arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

hooli

I never do more than 2 hours a day decorating – that way you don’t get sick of it. After a few days it’s finished and it never seems too much of a chore.

I think the opposite, with the mess, dust and smell I just get the room clear and blast it in the shortest time possible (without rushing and doing a crap job of it). Then you can sit back, have a beer and admire your work while the wife tells you it is the wrong colour, there are some roller marks on the ceiling and your cutting in is poor.

theotherjonv

I’m the opposite. If i’m doing it, I do it. Clear the decks, send the family out, I’m having a run up.

I’ve just done my daughter’s room, including new coving, skim coating the ceiling with textured paint to blend in where a built in cupboard came out, new lining paper (same reason) and built new furniture. I also took the chance to do hall stairs and landing including sanding the laminate back to remove some major scratches and refinishing that. And then door frames and doors x5, although to be fair some of those are still waiting a second coat of gloss.

Family dispatched to MiL on friday after school, i got home at 6 and was on the prep by 7, plus a bit of actual work like the lining paper and the coving. Finished at 1am.

Saturday – up at 6; sanding with tea and toast in the other hand shortly after. Had an hour off to walk the dog at 10-ish but worked through to 11pm.

Sunday – up at 5am, so i could watch the GSW vs OKC playoff that I’d recorded the night before, and then on it by 730. Hour off for dog walk again, but otherwise pretty solid until about 4-ish when the family came home.

I can’t bear to have things dragging on. Do, or do not do. No in between. Helps if you can put TMS or the Olympics or something on the radio, and just settle in to do it.

[edit – just counted up, that’s about 28 hours 😯 ]

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Pay someone else to do it?

woody74

I don’t mind doing any DIY apart from decorating, hate, hate, hate. Find someone that you can pay to do it. Life is too short.

leffeboy

Pay someone else to do it?

Or do it yourself and spend the money saved on c&h

or even better find one that can decorate?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Coats and Hats?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I hate painting indoors.

Outdoors doesn’t bother me. odd.

fasthaggis

Don’t mind decorating,just finished an attic conversion and enjoyed doing it.
    As said..get some tunes on ..sorted.

alexpalacefan

Hate it too.

Which is why I’m on here instead of grouting.

APF

avdave2

I hate painting indoors.

Outdoors doesn’t bother me. odd.

I’m the same with spiders.

As for decorating it really is a tedious job but I just have to do it properly, the result is satisfying but the process grim.

lambchop
    Free Member

Love it. That’s why I do it professionally. Any Dec haters near Milton Keynes, I’m very reasonably priced!

MoreCashThanDash

I wish I’d married theotherjonv…..

lambchop
    Free Member

Love it. That’s why I do it professionally. Any Dec haters near Milton Keynes, I’m very reasonably priced!

theotherjonv

I wish I’d married theotherjonv…..

So does my wife, probably.

I had to get this done; it’s been 9 months since the doors went on and the cupboard came out, but I’ve been struggling to be honest these past few months with work and life in general and hence they’ve been stepping over stuff in boxes and my daughter’s been in a room with 2 bare walls, a damaged ceiling and peeling wallpaper and they’ve barely made a comment. They deserve better.

MoreCashThanDash

I’d been putting it off for months since we chose the colour and bought the paint. Life and issues either got in the way or became good excuses.

Just had a fantastic bacon, cheese and mushroom flat bread at a cafe 5 miles as the MTB rides from home, and about to head for home now the Cafe is filling up with extended families having their first dry day out of half term. Second coat this afternoon, and touch up the tiny patch of ceiling that I missed in the gloom last night, and then glossing tomorrow.

falkirk-mark

Decorate in winter (shit weather) garden outdoor stuff in summer.

theotherjonv

Now i **** hate gardening……..

ourmaninthenorth

Last lot of decorating I outsourced to my BIL. I figured it would be a good way to supplement his student income. Mistake – freshly plastered walls now have permanent paint splodges and roller lines.

I’ve also outsourced to professionals. I’m pretty sure they take ages because they’re all off riding their bikes like you lot.

One of the happiest times of my life was decorating the first flat Mrs North and I owned.

When we finally get the work done to our house, I’m going to do the decorating myself.

jam-bo

while the wife tells you it is the wrong colour, there are some roller marks on the ceiling and your cutting in is poor.

do a consistently shit job and you’ll only ever have to do big easy rollered areas. at least that seems to work for me..

DezB
    Free Member

Still haven’t started mine. Just can’t decide on a colour, so given up.

NZCol

Outsourced to a professional now, hate it with a passion.

SiB
    Free Member

It is such a dull job that my mind goes off on a tangent and I have some pretty weird thoughts that make me laugh/cringe/cry/worry!!

Keep your mind busy…..don’t decorate!!

mogrim

Last time the dining room needed doing it took me 3 years from buying the paint to actually get round to using it. Hate it.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I’m with the OP.

Least favourite DIY job ever.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Like ironing until you play some music, podcast or radio.

mrsfry
    Free Member

I find it very relaxing. Just cover the windows and get your kit off, saves getting paint and paste on your clothes

colournoise

Don’t really like it, but once I start I have to do it properly and get proper perfectionist about it.

fattyre500
    Free Member

Bloody hate decorating so last time i was let loose with brushes and roller i made a pigs arse of it on purpose and now the only thing i’m allowed near with a paint brush is fence panels at the far end of the garden!!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Mrs cloudnine does it.
    I do all the prep and, sanding filling etc. She normally does the painting.

kimbers

Lambchop Dec hater in MK, I’m bookmarking this thread !

anagallis_arvensis

I hate it. Whenbever its mentioned I just tell the Mrs to get a man in a go forca bike ride!

Wally

I spent the best 4 weeks with my dad, as we progressed through the whole house. Precious times.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Nearly got divorced over a single drop of lining paper once. We hadn’t even got married at that point!

We now pay someone, she’s brilliant, fast and very reasonable. Recommendation in Sheffield if anyone wants it, drop me a mail.

DrP

When we finished the loft conversion we had a WHOLE house to repainted as we’d had the existing rooms replays termed with new ceilings.
    Literally, everything was bare wood or plaster.

I don’t think there’s enough “coasts and hats” in the world to have convinced me not to get a decorator in!!

I can just about tolerate doing the tiny wc we’ve just had done…the whole house idea gave me nightmares…

DrP

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘I hate decorating….’ is closed to new replies.