• This topic has 64 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Get outta the way, I got places to be!
  • binners

Must make changing lightbulbs a breeze.

Hey Perchy…. how many graphic designers does it take to change a lightbulb?

None!

“I’M NOT CHANGING A ****ING THING!!!!

😀

convert

I see this has now made the main bbc homepage – but with the bingo wings blurred out.

Without trying to exonerate her in anyway now I know where it happened (Hawkers Ave) and where the route goes she would have been unable to get out and been marooned. Quite a lovely spot these days next to a marina but it would have been a gilded cage for the morning. As it’s only a mile or so from both the start and the finish unless they lifted the closed roads for a while in the middle it would have been a problem for her for a good few hours. Easy enough to say park elsewhere if you need car access but from that location it would be a fair hike for someone entitled to a disabled parking badge to an alternative place to park.

When do the needs of a sizeable niche (marathon runners) doing something most would applaud override the ‘needs’ of a member of the public wanting to get on with their daily life? I can think of a few roads near me that get closed about half a dozen times a year for running races, triathlons, carnivals and an annual march. If it was me I’d like to think I’d embrace it as part of living in a happening place but I could see how it could make you grumpy too.

franksinatra

When do the needs of a sizeable niche (marathon runners) doing something most would applaud override the ‘needs’ of a member of the public wanting to get on with their daily life?

Why do the needs of a sizeable niche (car drivers)  override the ‘needs’ of a member of the public wanting to get on with their race by running on a closed road?

kelvin

I can think of a few roads near me that get closed about half a dozen times a year for running races, triathlons, carnivals and an annual march.

Sounds a great place to live.

Why should anyone expect any road to be open to all traffic 365 days a year? Unexpected unannounced road closures (mains water/gas leaks etc) cause chaos… put planned, publicised closures (people enjoying life) should just be worked around, no?

Northwind

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

“I did like that the guy thought placing a cone infont of a moving car would stop it, or pushing it backwards really hard.”

He didn’t stop it but he made it really damn clear that she was being mental, that’s pretty effective.

</div>

convert

put planned, publicised closures (people enjoying life) should just be worked around, no?

So, if you took her disabled badge status at face value (I know – can/worms etc) what would your advise have been if she had to be at work later and reliant on a car? I guess get up very early before the road closure and sit in a Starbucks until she had to be at work maybe. Or take a day of annual leave.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Hey Perchy…. how many graphic designers does it take to change a lightbulb?

Very good . 🙂

How many Quantity Surveyors does it take to change a lightbulb?

It depends. Did you have a figure in mind? I’ll need to get three quotes for the bulb.

kelvin

@convert, yes, she could have either left for work before the road closure, or gone somewhere else before work, perhaps do the weekly shop… whatever… just plan around the (rare) event rather than drive through a race of runners… a no brainer really.

convert

Convert, yes, she could have either left for work before the road closure, or gone somewhere else before work, perhaps do the weekly shop… whatever… just plan around the (rare) event rather than drive through a race of runners… a no brainer really.

A quick google suggests the roads were closed at 4am.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/britains-ocean-city-half-marathon-1581202

Still happy it’s a no brainer and you’d be doing your weekly shop at 4am on a Sunday? Don’t get me wrong – I am not excusing her actions – really stupid but this is an imposition, reasonable or otherwise.

boriselbrus

Meh, try closing a section of trail at a trail centre whilst a team of volunteers repairs it. Then see how many trail warriors ignore the signs, rip down the barrier tape and abuse the volunteers.

It makes that woman seem verv reasonable.

ransos
    Free Member

but this is an imposition, reasonable or otherwise.

That is also true of cars using the road network. It’s a familiarity thing.

convert

That is also true of cars using the road network.

Sorry, you’ll have to explain. I don’t get what you mean.

redthunder
    Free Member

I’ll just stand still here, while the whole ****ing world revolves around me

Or owners of fairground roundabouts 😉

matt_outandabout

Then see how many trail warriors ignore the signs, rip down the barrier tape and abuse the volunteers.

Can you ban idiots, or at least punch them with impunity?

boriselbrus

Can you ban idiots, or at least punch them with impunity?

There might have been a regrettable incident with a mattock…

🙂

spekkie
    Free Member

Not sure about that distances involved for this particular woman but we have friends in a different town who, in order to avoid being trapped in their road for the whole day, park their car the night before on the other side of the road being used for a race. On the “outside” of the circuit so to speak.

That way they can stroll across the road between running groups and go about their business as normal. Probably involves a 500m walk for them.

ransos
    Free Member

Sorry, you’ll have to explain. I don’t get what you mean.

Vast swathes of public space are reserved for the storage and movement of private property, and no-one bats an eyelid. Try and reassign a miniscule fraction of that space, for a miniscule amount of time, and you get reactions like our friend in the video.

matt_outandabout

Ransos is right.

Buuuut, if you’re disabled this may mean a day stuck at home.

dissonance

Buuuut, if you’re disabled this may mean a day stuck at home.

Really?

I suspect if someone truly was unable to adapt and contacted the organisers then some work around would be found. Probably still have some restrictions but less than a complete block.

Northwind

My brother lives in a street that gets completely blocked by the edinburgh marathon every year. He just, y’know, deals with it, like a sane person. You get told in advance, if he needs to drive he can relocate his van to somewhere that’s easy to get it out of without any fuss.

docgeoffyjones

At least she had the good sense to wait till after batman ran past.

theotherjonv

Don’t know this particular case, but having done the rolling road marshalling at the Surrey Half, some people are just a-holes. We had full on hiz viz, riding the course about 5 mins in advance of the runners and had one woman drive at speed right at us, and when we refused to move out of the way, gave us a heap of abuse. It was only when I radioed back about it to the control and got the clear response ‘tell her to sit tight, there’s a police motorcyclist about to come and sort it out’ that miraculously she remembered another route!!

That was also the year we reached one of the static checkpoints and some ‘horsey gentlemen’ (think Appleby more than Badminton) were arguing blue murder about being allowed to drive a horsebox up the road to collect a horse from a field. When told they could walk up and lead it back on a halter to the box, as the marshall’s had no power to stop pedestrians or animals on leads, they vocally ‘agreed’ and then said they were going to walk it straight up the middle of the road and see if they could ‘**** the race up that way’.  Don’t know if they did as we had to carry on but honestly, some folks……

kerley
    Free Member

If that truly was the only way out what did everybody else do that needed to use that single exit?

Whatever it was, she should have done that.

downhillfast
    Free Member

Edit the video!  I got places to be!!!

DezB
    Free Member

if you’re disabled this may mean a day stuck at home.

I agree. ban all marathons.

And er, other things which stop people using the roads… bikes! Ban bikes, those bastards are always in the way.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Get outta the way, I got places to be!’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.