Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • I got breathalised today
  • leffeboy

Not very exciting really as the police were stopping almost everyone coming in on the road that I was on. Much more interesting was the machine though. Instead of blowing into it I had to talk into it for 15secs or so. Anyone seen these or know how they work? Is it just still picking up breath?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It can just tell if you’re slurring your words.

MSP

Sounds like a con trick, machine was broke so they got you to talk a bit and see of you gave yourself away 😉

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Why were the rozzers doing mass stops?

jambalaya
    Free Member

I sense a politically incorrect joke or 10 …

allthepies
    Free Member

I thought that to be breathalyzed the police needed a reasonable suspicion that you had been drinking ?

leffeboy

Why were the rozzers doing mass stops?

Not UK, Brussels, so it might be okay here. See it from time to time where they just have a load of cops at the side of the road and pull almost everyone over and check. Takes 20secs so doesn’t bother me and at 17:00 on a Wed not really much risk either. I wish they would do it at night though as cycling back after 11 can be dodgy with some cars definitely weaving and being way to slow to be sober

leffeboy

Sounds like a con trick, machine was broke so they got you to talk a bit and see of you gave yourself away

“Dinking? not me offislur”

parkesie
    Free Member

They ask if you would mind giving a sample of breath, you refuse, now you have to as they have a reason to suspect you have been drinking. Cynic mode off.

leffeboy

They ask if you would mind giving a sample of breath

Or even, “Would you mind giving a breath sample?”
    “No officer, I would rather not”

That’s enough sir, you appear to be okay 🙂

MSP

“No officer, I would rather not”

pfft! The proper response it to try and nut him on the nose, miss by about a foot and fall flat on your face.

You have obviously never played the breathalyser game before.

Bazz

I haven’t had a c**t all night drinkstable!

leffeboy

🙂

sparkyspice
    Free Member

I got pulled over on my way home to Manly (Sydney, AUS) and they were breath testing everyone coming out of the city on that road. If you’d been drinking you had no opportunity to u-turn once you’d realised the cops were ahead.
    I was riding a motorbike at the time and pulled up and raised my visor… “Been drinking?” Said the cop. “On a 900cc with a pillion? Not bloody likely!” I replied. “On your way then.”
    Seemed sensible enough to me.
    Then again there was the Aussie urban myth….
    A guy stumbles out of a bar, staggers to his car, fails to get the keys in the door, drops the keys, spends ages looking for them, fails to get then in the door again, but eventually manages to get in the car where he remains for a while. Meanwhile everyone else has left the pub…. After a while he gets the car started and finds first gear. Blue lights come on and he gets pulled. After being blowing into the breathalyser, the cop is amazed to find the guy doesn’t even register. The cops are dumbfounded. “I’m tonight’s designated distraction!” Says the bloke.
    Class!

Cougar

Fixed your joke so it makes sense. (-:

endurancenut
    Free Member

Epic breathalyzer fail 😀

Dales_rider
    Free Member

I was breathalyzed on entering Holland, straight off the ferry. It would appear to happen regular, as does the number of people they pull over.
    The device they use is a multi use jobbie you dont actualy touch it just as they said “talk” to it. I think their translation was slightly wrong and they meant to say just “Breathe” into it

leffeboy

I think their translation was slightly wrong and they meant to say just “Breathe” into it

It’s definitely ‘speak’ as I was asked to say a few words. Should have gone for a drinking song really

mudshark
    Free Member

Refuse everything except a urine sample.

hora
    Free Member

I’m guessing it was a Scouse’o’meter. Did your moustache and hand movement get you pulled over?

Dales_rider
    Free Member

leffeboy – Member

It’s definitely ‘speak’ as I was asked to say a few words. Should have gone for a drinking song really

🙂

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Lots being stopped last Friday evening near Merry Hill, Police officer apologised and said it was their summer drink driving awareness campaign and had I had a drink recently? They checked number plates and tax disc also.

sbob
    Free Member

allthepies – Member

I thought that to be breathalyzed the police needed a reasonable suspicion that you had been drinking?

They do.
    Though if you refuse you’re guilty anyway.

legend
    Free Member

mudshark – Member

you taking the piss?

Alternatively, just don’t drink & drive.

thegreatape
    Free Member

This is excellent advice. A Section 7 charge is by far the easiest to prove. The police and CPS will be most grateful.

hora
    Free Member

If I was breathalised in road stops once a day it wouldnt bother me. It’d remove the dangerous, the nutters and the downright illegal/uninsured from our cycling roads.

Maybe then we’d trust the roads for our childrens bikes/presence.

MSP

Maybe then we’d trust the roads for our childrens bikes/presence.

There are fare more accidents/deaths caused by perfectly legal drivers than those caused by the drunk and uninsured.

It’s just mundane ignorance and lack of attention that is the biggest danger.

mudshark
    Free Member

It’s a quote from a film 😉

hora
    Free Member

MSP disagree. Habitual evening middle-class drinking n stress = early am impatience..

thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s a quote from a film

Ah 🙂 Forgive me for assuming it was STW asshattery!

freddyg
    Free Member

Wasn’t it ‘Withnail and I’?

CountZero

Not sure about the UK, but I believe it’s about the same as the US, drink-drive accidents constitute about 30% of the total, which means that 70% of accidents are caused by sober drivers. Tired and stupidly irresponsible drivers are the biggest cause of motoring accidents.

zokes
    Free Member

Much more interesting was the machine though. Instead of blowing into it I had to talk into it for 15secs or so. Anyone seen these or know how they work? Is it just still picking up breath?

They seem to use these down here in Oz and NZ a fair bit (well, the two times I’ve been RBTed anyway). You talk into that device, and it gives a qualitative yes/no to alcohol. If you get a qualitative yes (I’d had a pint prior on one of those occasions), out comes the real breathalyser which they then take a quantitative sample with.

Guess it saves time and mouthpieces compared to using the regular breathalyser for everyone.

bruneep

Wasn’t it ‘Withnail and I’?

Withnail: [on the way to the cottage] At some point or another I want to stop and get hold of a child.
    Marwood: What do you want a child for?
    Withnail: To tutor it in the ways of righteousness, and procure some uncontaminated urine.
    [holding up a Fairy Liquid bottle with a strap and a tube]
    Withnail: This is a device enabling the drunken driver to operate in absolute safety. You fill this with piss, take this pipe down the trouser and sellotape this valve to the end of the old chap. Then you get horribly drunk and they can’t **** touch you. According to these instructions, you refuse everything except a urine sample. You undo your valve and give them a dose of unadulterated child’s piss and they have to give you your keys back. Danny’s a genius. I’m going to have a doze.

leffeboy

Zokes is the man in the know – thanks

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘I got breathalised today’ is closed to new replies.