Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • i got a job in Eindhoven!
  • HansRey

hi,

got a job in Eindhoven for 5 months, working at Philips ApTech! I've heard that Eindhoven is a lovely place, so i can't wait to get started in April.

By the way, if anyone wants to join me on a tour from Eindhoven to Sheffield in September, let me know!

HR

Marge
    Free Member

Hoi en welkom

How's your dutch?
    I drive though Eindhoven pretty frequently between home & customer…

The Dutch like the place. Anyone else? hmmmm

curtisthecat
    Free Member

We used to go on our annual rugby tour to Eindhoven. Friendly people. Very corporate town as everything in owned by phillips. One of the best things is that it is very close to several countries(Belgium, France, Germany and Luxembourg)

tails
    Free Member

I visited for a day seemed alright, preferred rotterdam and utrecht, not exactly mountain biking country but bike friendly. Congratulations.

HansRey

cheers, i've just finished building a marin quake, which going to be oh so overkill…

starting to learn dutch today, but i speak good french and ok with german so it's not too bad.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Smoke and a pancake?

ok with german so it's not too bad.

Don't confuse the two languages. Seriously, don't! Especially if there's any bicycles involved in the discussion.

crikey
    Free Member

Get a road bike; my old team rode in a stage race every year based in Weert called the Rog Tour.

Nice quiet country lanes and hot summers…

iDave
    Free Member

that's a big move from Laguna Beach, unless, wait, maybe…. you're not the real Hans Rey?

HansRey

Don't confuse the two languages. Seriously, don't! Especially if there's any bicycles involved in the discussion.

is there a big cycling rivalry!? I'm pretty good at picking up european languages, so dutch shouldn't be too problematic. Weird pronunciation tho.

I wish i was as good the real Hans Rey!

HansRey

building up a road bike too. Btw, do dutch riders use a different typical gear range to what roadies in the UK use? As seen as it's flatter than kerry katona's EEG…

chakaping
    Free Member

What fork did you get for the Quake in the end? I'm curious.

cranberry
    Free Member

is there a big cycling rivalry!?

No, it's more to do with one lot's grandfathers stealing the bikes of the others.

Personally, I would say that the real crime was that the first lots grandfathers didn't sort out the breweries.

crikey
    Free Member

Well there's not much call for easy climbing gears, but the wind can have a profound effect on your speed. A standard compact with 12-23 will be perfect, but you'll manage with 52-39 and 12-23 equally as well.

We spent one tour staying in the hostel in Valkenswaard, empty when we arrived, then full of 100 thirty-year old Dutch ladies on a school reunion.

Alstublieft!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

is there a big cycling rivalry!?

The Germans stole bikes from many Dutch families. The Dutch have never really forgiven them.

simonm
    Free Member

you sure moving there isnt a bridge too far ?

mefty
    Free Member

It is in the South so you are nearer the Ardennes which is great for cycling. It is "below the rivers" so in what is regarded by the Dutch as the more easy going Catholic part of the Netherlands. The night life centres around one street of bars as far as I can remember which gets very lively. Dusseldorf and Maastricht are both reasonably near and worth a visit. Mind you Amsterdam is only 2 hours on the train.

HansRey

the location seems perfect as a hub to see the western borders of germany, and get to belgium too. Plan it to ride to belgium on the way home, sampling a few of the local brews!….. (last estimated to be in the region of 8000 per annum?)

kennyp
    Free Member

Is there not some big pub crawl there called the Golden Mile or something?

englishbob
    Free Member

Find out if you are elegible for the 30% tax break. Lets say you were earning 50k a year, your tax would be calulated over 35k, the first 30% is tax free. I had this back in the day, you may be eligable.
    I've been here for 15 years, (John Major was in power and Anna Friel had just buried her dad under the patio in Brookside to give you and idea). If you have any questions feel free.

I've ridden around Walre en Valkenswaard under Eindhoven, not hilly but its good single track in the woods. http://www.mtbroutes.nl has a list of marked routes with GPX tracks you can download. Its in Dutch but start with 'kaart Nederland' and work from there.

Oh and congrats on the job!

DrJ

starting to learn dutch today

Good luck finding someone willing to talk to you in Dutch.

Tiger6791

Good luck finding someone willing to talk to you in Dutch.

Yep they just talk back in English bunch of kaas kop pissebeds the lot of 'em 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘i got a job in Eindhoven!’ is closed to new replies.