Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • I genuinely want to eradicate every midge on the planet.
  • Ambrose

Persuade me I’m wrong.

My skin swells up with every and any bite from the little bundles of joy. I can either play repellent roulette, because it may or may not work, or I can avoid my garden in the morning and evening if there is no wind. I hate them so much.

andrewh
    Free Member

I met some Norwegians who couldn’t understand what all the fuss was about, nowhere near as many as they get🤷‍♂️
    Also, repellents are hopeless, get a net. Or a lot of bats.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Midges . Great for keeping Scotland from being over run by visitors.

Also I’ve not met a single person who’s blood the midges don’t prefer to mine so as long as I keep a sacrafice near by I’m safe enough from the swarms.

matt_outandabout

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Typically it’s only the women that bite, apparently.

scaredypants

They fulfil an important ecological role.  Without any natural predators, rambler numbers would become unsupportable and village shops across the region would be systematically emptied of their mint cake and ultimately destroyed by angry mobs when supply chains can’t keep up

dyna-ti

oldnpastit

There are far worse things than midges. Current candidates for Tory leadership for example.

granny_ring

🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

I genuinely want to eradicate every midge on the planet

So why do you keep feeding them?

matt_outandabout

And it’s part of the breeding routine.

Just saying.

maccruiskeen

My skin swells up with every and any bite from the little bundles of joy

Keeping an after bite pen handy and using it quick is advisable.

I seemed to hit a point where I stopped reacting to bites. I just get a flat red dot now where I’ve been bitten – like I’ve been dabbed with a bingo marker – but they no longer swell or itch. The turning point seemed to come after a having some really quite bizarre reactions to mosquito bites in the south of France. As in a dffierent weird reaction to to each bit – blisters with blisters inside, that had blisters inside , or  weird radiating scribbly black lines, all sorts of weird shit- old men in the villages would gather round in cafes and pojnt at them with their pipes and mutter  in hushed tones. Anyway after that I seemed to stop reacting to midge bites. So you could try that.

Mikkel
    Free Member

i am a natural midge repellent, scientifically proven and i still hate them.

Aidy
    Free Member

I’ve got one of those traps; they work – but they don’t seem that well built. Especially not for the money. Broke after a few years, I think it’s repairable, but I haven’t got around to it yet.

fasthaggis

Welcome to Scotland,wait till you meet Mr and Mrs Cleg,the midge will pale to insignificance 😉 😀

flannol
    Free Member

I react to them. I take a puritan after any and use anthisan topically on it for a day or so. I find catching it early enough with the antihistamine to be quite effective

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

You take a Puritan? Hard to swallow or do you just rub it on?

martinhutch

I take a puritan after

Sounds a bit sinful.

lister

This seems the right place to ask something I’ve been wondering about for a while.
    Midges eat other animal’s blood and because they are small I assume they don’t need much to fill them up but…
    high on the Cuillen ridge (or other high Rocky Mountain) where there are no deer or sheep there are millions of the buggers. What do they all eat? There aren’t that many climbers and walkers surely?

MrPottatoHead

I’m a midge magnet, my wife is a midge repellent. First day in Banff one summer and they were swarming around me. We stopped counting after 100 bites that night, and she had literally zero. I was covered in deet but didn’t seem to help. I’m itchy just thinking about it.

Ambrose

So… Nobody here has persuaded me that the wee feckkers should survive Anbrosemageddon (TM).

downshep

The wee horrors love me. Did 10 under the Ben one year and counted 400 bites on one leg. I just wear longs in summer now, avoid singletrack and carry a midge hood to wear if I get a mechanical. Clegs and ticks belong in the same fiery pit of hell, wee shites.

markgraylish
    Free Member

So… Nobody here has persuaded me that the wee feckkers should survive Anbrosemageddon (TM).

No, feel free to kill them all off but make sure your solution is applied worldwide and not just the UK…

tjagain

What would bats and swallows eat if you kill off the midge?

Smidge works btw

colournoise

Does Skin So Soft still work?

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Skin so soft works for me

kayak23

I just bought one of these for Glencoe.
    Hopefully it helps along with the Smidge, Avon, nets, Ak47.

Current Smidge-midge-forecast. Where am I heading? That’s right, the only orange bit on the map! 😳🙄

rakas

The smokin’ midge definitely helps but the cones only last 20 mins at a time so you spend a lot of time messing around with it. Good in conjunction with everything else though 👍

funkmasterp

All you need to do is take out the source

kerley
    Free Member

You can get rid of midges if I can get rid of ticks

tjagain

You cannot get rid of them. The poor bats would starve as would swallows. A vital part of the food chain midges are.

Use smidge. Its a game changer

dovebiker

Living on the west coast we’ve been almost midge-free all summer – even this morning where there’s barely any wind, just a couple buzzing around the dog as she’s sat outside. Ticks have been bad as we’ve had a very mild winter.

boriselbrus

I’ll take midges over clegs any day. Smidge and a net and the midges are OK, but I got swarmed by clegs at Culra 4 years ago and it was horrendous. They bite through your clothes and my legs looked like I’d been attacked with a chainsaw.

matt_outandabout

Use smidge. Its a game changer

☝️
    Plus, be careful around where you camp / cafe choice / break spot. I find that a) they’re not that bad most of the time b) you can avoid them regularly and c) smidge, net and thin gloves = bearable.

maccruiskeen

Does Skin So Soft still work?

it works in preventing bites – theres no magic ingredient in it, it just by making you too slippery to bite. What it isnt is any kind of repellant so midges are still a nuisance. Smidge is a bit best of both – has that a bit of that oily quality (but not as strangely unctuous as SSS) but also stops you attracting them so dont swarm around you as much.

pictonroad

I suspect the people happy to live in midge zones treat them as a handy way to keep Southerners like me away.

I react to them, last time I went to Scotland I came back 20% bigger from the swelling, (a quick way to check if I’d look ok carrying some timber) but it does render some absolutely beautiful places a no go for me. 😔

Like the poster up there asked 👆what do they eat apart from tourists? Sheep?

tjagain

Won’t you think of the bats

multi21
    Free Member

tjagain

Won’t you think of the bats

What if we could eradicate the biting species and leave the rest, would that interest you?

thecaptain
    Free Member

What do they all eat? There aren’t that many climbers and walkers surely?

The highland midge is unique (I think) in being able to breed without a blood meal.

So they are biting us just for fun.

johnx2
    Free Member

I’m a midge magnet

me too, if that’s not a typo.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.