Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • I forgot how angry I can be…..sacking the Sertraline.
  • Premier Icon funkmasterp

Really glad for you OP. It’ll probably take a while for you mood to settle down I reckon. I’ve been on Citalopram for about seven years now. Tried coming off it last year as I was fed up of the emotional numbness, tiredness and lack of drive. It didn’t go well and I was thinking of doing something stupid as a result. I’m now back on it at a 40mg dose and starting to reluctantly accept the fact I’ll be staying on it.

Premier Icon h4muf
    Free Member

Twelve years now on meds.Started off on Citiapram and after a couple of months came off it and hit the Sertraline.loads better!
    Tried to get down to 50mg from 100 but struggled.
    If I miss a couple of days I get incredibly light headed it’s unreal!
    Good luck chaps!!

Premier Icon footflaps

I’ve been on 20mg Citalopram a day since 2008. I suspect I could come off it but I just prefer myself on it, just takes the edge of my personality so I’m more ‘normal’ and less angst. Although it’s been so long now, not sure I’m really the same person I was when I went on it any more!

Premier Icon i_like_food
    Free Member

Thanks all for the contributions. I’ve been on 50mg for 18 months now, really interesting to hear about losing interest in reading. I haven’t read a book to the end for… 18 months. I was blaming my phone… (Which, to be fair, probably is a contributing factor).

My tricky bit is that the key stimulus for the issues that needed medicating has been resolved, but I start a mega stressful new job in September. I’ll need to be fully switched on for it. Stay on, or not?

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

I’ve been 50/100 alternating for about a fortnight, will go to 50 shortly as feeling fine.
    As others have said, life changes and the problems are dealt with/removed, at which point it’s right to try and go without the crutches.

No one here is weird. I say you’re brave to face the problems and deal with them, and brave to come and admit it to help others, well done gents!

Premier Icon olly2097

I came off 50mg 8 weeks ago.
    Was on it for 12-15 months.

I’m already unbearable again.

Snapping at the kids.
    Snapping at the wife.
    The snapping is usually because my mind is reeling and my thought process (anxious thought process) is interrupted. I can’t give my kids time when I’m too busy thinking about the potential failings and disasters that may occur around me.
    It’s funny because I have insight into my behaviour but I can’t change without drugs.
    I’ve been on and off ssri meds for 20 years.
    Same patterns but these days I’ve got more people to consider.

For me:

Positives:

I’m much more tolerable. Even to myself.
    I’m nicer to my family.
    I’m less bothered by trivial crap.
    My mind doesn’t reel and repeat.

Negs:
    It’s just masking.
    Weight gain.
    Tiredness.
    Lack of interest in art forms (can’t watch a film, series, read a book etc, not interested).
    Sometimes you just want to feel something no?

I’m 90% certain I’m going back on it next week. I’m ok with that.

Premier Icon shedbrewed
    Free Member

@olly2097 I feel you.
    I’ve been on and off ssri’s for 3 years now. I was on Sertraline at 25mg after my ptsd and depression got so bad after being knocked off and back broken that I had two occasions where I contemplated suicide. I lost my late father the same way and there were uncomfortable parallels going on in my head. I needed the help the Sertraline gave me. Stayed on it 18 months then came off. No taper. Went back on it last April after serious stress and anxiety from the ‘rona and juggling a 3 year old and a full time job. Came off again late autumn. Back on again this year after a round of antibiotics absolutely rinsed my gut and my body went into a full on anxious reaction for several weeks. Genuinely terrified of what was happening. With hindsight I can see it was gut anxiety but at the time I was convinced I had been ‘floxed’. Anyway I’m back on the 25mg Sertraline now for 2-3 weeks and at the moment struggling with feeling fatigued a lot of the time. I have to remind myself that I couldn’t be doing the riding in doing if I was genuinely fatigued or suffering but the mind is a wicked master.

Premier Icon Cougar

Apropos of nothing,

I was talking to a mate last night who over the years has been on and off just about every SSRI and SNRI going. He said that Sertraline was one of the worst to try and come off. I’ve watched someone come off Citalopram and that was a car crash, he likened Citalopram to “My First Antidepressant” by comparison so I can scarcely imagine what this stuff must be like.

Everyone’s different though I suppose.

Premier Icon dannyh

He said that Sertraline was one of the worst to try and come off

Given the peaky-troughy nature of levels with Sertraline (mostly due to its short half life in the body), I can believe it.

If and when I try to give it a go I am going to buy a good set of pill cutters so I can microdose more regularly to achieve a smoother taper. I may even do a spreadsheet of anticipated hourly levels to work out a regimen. 😳

Premier Icon fazzini

No one here is weird. I say you’re brave to face the problems and deal with them, and brave to come and admit it to help others, well done gents!

+1

Premier Icon funkmasterp

I’ve watched someone come off Citalopram and that was a car crash

Were you hiding in my garden this time last year? We’ve talked about this Cougar

Premier Icon Cougar

Have we? I’m bad with usernames, sorry.

I was referring to my partner of the time. Two of them in fact.

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

Wowsers I’m a lucky sod then that I neither have bad side effects, nor found it hard to come off first time.

For Completeness I was on fluoxitene for err. 9 or so months iirc, about 9 years ago now, equally I found that a very helpful drug with no bad Side effects and easy to come off.

Premier Icon vickypea
    Free Member

I’ve taken SSRIs (mostly fluoxetine) a number of times over the past 20-odd years and they’ve been a lifesaver at times. In my experience it does take a few weeks to get back to normal after stopping them. I’ve also found counselling to be a huge help in dealing with anxiety, anger etc, which has helped me to spend more time off the meds than on them.

Premier Icon vickypea
    Free Member

Grapefruit interacts with an enzyme that’s important in the metabolism of certain drugs, that’s why there’s a recommendation not to consume it when on certain meds. It alters the concentration of drug in the body, effectively changing the dose.

Premier Icon ernie
    Free Member

This has been a really good thread. Good luck OP.

I’ve been on Sertraline for something like 5 years. The peaky – troughy comment was informative as that is certainly how I feel sometimes. And don’t mention the weight gain, I’ve gone from a 73kg racing snake to 80kg mamil (granted 80kg is not heavy as such but I do find it really hard to control my weight). I can read and enjoy a book, but do find it hard to stay focused on TV (I blame the quality of programmes tbh). I have also learnt to talk about my feelings (still really hard but I try) with the people that matter to me.

When I look back at my behaviour pre S, I was just an angry little bastard: at work, on the bike, at home, everywhere. I **** hated even the smallest most insignificant thing, something that now does not even register on my radar. For me this is a definite plus, I don’t get aggressive with my family but can enjoy myself with them.

When I was at my lowest point my marriage was on a knife edge and genuinely don’t think I would have coped with losing my wife and kids.

Premier Icon Cougar

Were you hiding in my garden this time last year? We’ve talked about this Cougar

Sorry, I was half asleep when I replied to this last night, I thought you were chastising me for forgetting a conversation. I see where you were going with it now. (-:

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

The weight gain is interesting…. Guilty, but it’s c-19 WFH not cycle commuting, plus a baby boy a year ago. The sertraline isn’t too blame, but I hope it doesn’t make it even harder to shift!

I’ve been unable to concentrate on TV for years, DEFINITELY because so much is rubbish. The occasionally good thing I will watch and enjoy.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.