Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • i find it all very sad and embarressing…..
  • alpin
    Free Member

i like telling people that i’m from london. i like telling them that i think it’s the best city in the world….

…now i’m not so sure.

Kevevs
    Free Member

🙄

alpin
    Free Member

tbh, i’m really shocked. i’ve been living in a van the past week and i only got back home late last night. didn’t even listen to the radio.

i find the situation very sad.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

London has survived worse than this. And it’s still the greatest city on Earth.

And it’s not just London that’s being affected by this violence. Birmingham, Bristol and Liverpool now also.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

i like telling them that i think it’s the best city in the world….

Well that was always bollox, so nothing which has happened tonight should’ve changed anything.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Shut up Ernie why don’t you just go and live in Russia then? 😕

There truly is no greater city than London. FACT. It’ll take more than riots to topple it from it’s perch.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

There truly is no greater city than London.

I take it you’ve never been to any other city then ?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah, a few, and London is the greatest.

Go to bed you’re obviously very tired and are now babbling nonsense. 😐

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yeah, a few

Where then ? You obviously need to see quite a few more if you think London’s the greatest 💡

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No I don’t.

mushrooms
    Free Member

You sound like an american elfin.

rOcKeTdOg

Did they try and torch st pauls last night then?

London is horrible but its innocent residents don’t deserve the “riots” that are happening

philconsequence
    Free Member

London is horrible but its innocent residents don’t deserve the “riots” that are happening

+1

Mugboo

I’ve visited quite a few city’s around the world and Londons one of my favourites. I wouldn’t want to live there though!

And that’s coming from a Bradfordian.

Dobbo

London serves a purpose, that the best I can say. Oh yeah and it has good pubs.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Oh yeah and it has good pubs.”

Now come on thats definately taking it too far.

One of my mates is a Cockney and now lives in the states and posted on Facebook last night how he is genuinely upset about what Londerners are doing to London.

Cougar

Greatest city in the world or not, it seems to have more than its fair share of nobbers in it at the moment. :sadface:

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

When Fred and I agree, you know it’s right.

donsimon
    Free Member

Or just so wrong.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

There truly is no greater city than London. FACT. It’ll take more than riots to topple it from it’s perch.

reason #57 london isn’t the best place in the world; residents who think its the center of the universe.

grum
    Free Member

All this ‘greatest city in the world’ stuff is pure jingoism anyway. Been to every other city to compare it? Thought not.

Very sad what’s going on though, think we will see more and more of it over the coming years too.

philconsequence
    Free Member

hungry monkey +1.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yeah, because being proud of where you live is such a dreadful trait isn’t it?

philconsequence
    Free Member

there’s a difference between being proud and stating something is better than something else as a fact surely?

Edric64
    Free Member

Agree most large cities are horrible .I am very glad to be a country bumpkin living on a farm with the best Mendip riding a mile away

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Where then ? You obviously need to see quite a few more if you think London’s the greatest

Well London pisses all over Sydney, put it that way. And Paris, Las Vegas and Amsterdam. Rome comes in a respectable second though. 🙂

nmdbase
    Free Member

Got to say I can’t stand the place but there is no excuse for what’s happening now.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

great cities, like great cars, don’t burst into flames every so often, and are safe to be in.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

All this ‘greatest city in the world’ stuff is pure jingoism anyway. Been to every other city to compare it? Thought not.

Have you, to qualify your counter?

Thought not….

Inmteresting that in any argument of this type, people spout crap but don’t actually present any other city on earth as being greater…

You can try. You know you will fail. When Flashy agrees with me, you know you are wrong….

richc
    Free Member

And it’s not just London that’s being affected by this violence. Birmingham, Bristol and Liverpool now also.

The Bristol thing is just the BBC being bored, as it was just some wheelie bins in Stokes croft, not much different to every other week to tell the truth.

The Bristol riot is not really comparable to London tbh.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Been to every other city to compare it? Thought not.

Well, not every other city, I will admit, but I am rather (too) well travelled. Work takes me to pretty much every major conurbation (In recent trips, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Singapore, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Seattle, Chicago, New York, Rome, Turin, Stockholm, Amsterdam, Brussels…you get the idea) and to date, I have yet to find a place as astonishing as London.

Jamie
    Free Member

I have yet to find a place as astonishing as London.

….or as combustible.

philconsequence
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

You know you will fail. When Flashy agrees with me, you know you are wrong….

wow… what inflated levels of self-importance.

something not-uncommon for people from london i’ve noticed.

iDave
    Free Member

CFH – Maybe your view of London is clouded by your relative prosperity. Is it such a great city to live in if you’re not as fortunate?

crispo
    Free Member

Its like a bike……there is not just one best bike in the world full stop is there! (except orange 5) 😛

Horses for courses really, I like london to visit, great city, but many others are too.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve lived in or near London my whole life and I’d never claim it was the greatest city in the world.

And I try to avoid the sort of tiresome bores who spout lazy platitudes like that.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I find London a rather unpleasant place – there are many cities world wide I prefer.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Lived there, liked it a lot, but we all grow up. 😉

The combination of excessive self-regard whilst ignoring other people and the social and structural problems around them that many Londoners have is not very attractive.

I’d rather live in Sydney (and have done) or in Vancouver, or Edinburgh. or Bristol. Or Rome or Barcelona etc etc…

Perhaps in order to live happily in London you really have to emotionally commit to it? Like to a perennially losing football team. Not surprisingly you then fall in to some of the parochial tosh posted above.

cynic-al
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Where then ? You obviously need to see quite a few more if you think London’s the greatest

Posted 10 hours ago # Report-Post
    Elfinsafety – Member
    No I don’t.

The same “mentality” applies to a small Scottish town in the Borders, Hawick.

A well known saying among the not-so-well travelled locals is “a day out of Hawick is a day wasted”.

On your “logic”, Freddy-boy, they are also correct 🙄

London is fantastic, to compare cities and argue about which is best is all a bit “Top Trumps” is it not? 🙄

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

wow… what inflated levels of self-importance.

something not-uncommon for people from london i’ve noticed.

So where does yours come from then?

Is it such a great city to live in if you’re not as fortunate?

Erm, yes. As proven by me! 🙂

Perhaps in order to live happily in London you really have to emotionally commit to it? Like to a perennially losing football team. Not surprisingly you then fall in to some of the parochial tosh posted above.

See, I think that’s a load of tosh what you’ve posted, but then we’re all different, aren’t we? Something never more apparent than when in London.

Abnd this:

The combination of excessive self-regard whilst ignoring other people and the social and structural problems around them that many Londoners have is not very attractive.

My personal experience is that it is actually easier to mix with ‘other’ people in London than it seems to be elsewhere. I certainly noticed a greater gulf between different groups whilst in New York.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘i find it all very sad and embarressing…..’ is closed to new replies.