Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 134 total)
  • 'I fell pregnant' or turns of phrase that I have known and loathed.
  • Peyote
    Free Member

Webinar – Isn’t that a seminar conducted over a telephone and live internet link? So, yes a seminar, but without necessarily being in the same building, town or country?

Anyway, I digress. I find my boss and colleagues using “incentivise” far too much at the moment, the problem is I can’t find a word to replace it. The whole sentence/statement needs rephrasing to use avoid the use of the word. Get’s on my nerves that does.

arrpee
    Free Member

“Pen stick”, used to refer to a pen drive or memory stick. The fact that the speaker blythely leaves out the operative word gets right on my nipples.

Bez

I love the fact that the vast majority of posts on this thread contain errors of punctuation, spelling and/or grammar. Glass houses and all that.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jonb
    Free Member

Has anyone mentioned pacifically yet?

Cougar

I find my boss and colleagues using “incentivise” far too much at the moment, the problem is I can’t find a word to replace it.

Encourage? Promote?

Cougar

“can I ask you a question?”

Evidently. Would you like to ask another?

Travis

quite unique, almost unique.

Well, it’s not.

DaRC_L

The current overuse of the word journey to describe an emotional experience.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

“Get out of my garden!”

Hate that.

molgrips
    Free Member

quite unique

That’s the slightly older use of the word ‘quite’ as an emphatic.

restless
    Free Member

….is “under the doctor” I hate that saying 👿

and the facebook favourite “me thinks” 🙄

emsz
    Free Member

I use loads of these. 😳

Lush, Literally, Random, Actually. Chillax is so 2010 though.

sturmey
    Free Member

“Almost exactly” gets right on my tits its wrong and the last time I heard it was in a news article relating to education.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

“Off of” as favoured by Scott Mills, as in “so-and-so off of that band”. The C0ck.

“Guestimate”, especially when used as a technical term by people who really ought to know better. Its “GUESS” or “ESTIMATE”. Not both!!!!

However I do like “Gnarcore to the power of Rad”

PeteG55
    Free Member

I want to slap Scott Mills round the face for “actual whoever off of actual whatever”.
    The annoying thing is, I think he started it trying to be ironic but its stuck now.

bol

Blimey you lot. Language is a fluid and evolving thing. There have always been slang, colloquialisms and trends. While I must admit to being annoyed by bad use of grammar and unwittingly misused words, I actually really like a lot of new use of language, new words and new phrases. Boils my piss is a recent fave picked up off here.

surazal
    Free Member

“It’s six of one and a dozen of the other” – so, completely different, then?

People who say that are clearly retarded, the saying is, “six of one and half a dozen of the other” which makes sense.

Personally I find ‘innit’ very annoying, l can’t believe I’m the first to mention it.

Oh, and people who say “cheap at half the price”, surely it should be twice the price.

bol

Oh, and people who say “cheap at half the price”, surely it should be twice the price.

No, I think they are saying that is isn’t actually that cheap. In an amusing fashion.

djc1245
    Free Member

What about proper? As in “i was proper drunk last night”

djc1245
    Free Member

I quite like playing cliche bingo at work and try to get as many clches in as possible during a meeting.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Back to pregnancy…

“She got hereself pregnant”

julianwilson
    Free Member

When someone says ‘to be perfectly honest with you’ I just can’t help wondering how honest they are the rest of the time…

And I have seen lost of folk doing the ‘quotation marks with fingers’ and saying ‘lol’. 😕

chomp
    Free Member

‘what’s occurring’

Where the **** has this sprung up from, as there’s about 10 people in my office who use it at every possible opportunity (in place of hello, what are you doing, or just for the **** sake of saying it)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

what’s occurring’

Got popular from Gavin and Tracey
    I quite like it.

sssimon
    Free Member

anyone from anywhere but the island of ireland talking about “the craic” particularly

having the craic
    having a bit of the craic

or worst of all

the crack

and telesales people who call me “Si” again mainly an southern english thing but generally prompts me to realise it’s time to hang up

rob-jackson
    Free Member

what’s occurring’

Got popular from Gavin and Tracey
    I quite like it.

or even Gavin and stacey!

scaredypants

I don’t much like “hive mind” – have never come across it apart from here

ir_bandito
    Free Member

yeah, yeah, alright. 😉

live2ride
    Free Member

“close of play” – even worse when abbreviated to “COP”

Well I’m glad you consider work to be play but personally I don’t find much time to play whilst sitting at this desk all day. What’s wrong with “the end of the day” or “close of business” if you must.

arrpee
    Free Member

“Not being funny, but…”

gecko76

Chapeau.

splatz
    Free Member

“on a daily basis”……f*”k me….that’s every day or just daily.

Please stop it!!

roger_mellie

“It’s a big ask.”

It isn’t. It maybe a task, test or trial, but it certainly isn’t an ‘ask’.

molgrips
    Free Member

You people really listen to yourselves.

You really are against creative use of language.

scaredypants

molgrips – aren’t most people on here objecting to the increasing repetition of certain phrases as opposed to the creative use of language ?

resisted
    Free Member

“If you’re going downstairs…..”

Which is the Mrs way of saying “I’d like a cup of tea”

+1 for “aks” too, I almost fly into a nerd rage when I hear that banded around by wannabe hoodrats.

Edit: Oh and “ghetto” too – in any context ie ‘ghetto tubeless’ (sorry, but your cut up innertubes are in no way related to a slum area often populated by those who society has deemed ‘undesirable’) or ‘my ghetto’ you’re from a middle class, suburban breeding ground, not **** Compton!

molgrips
    Free Member

molgrips – aren’t most people on here objecting to the increasing repetition of certain phrases as opposed to the creative use of language ?

Some of them are new ways to express existing ideas, and are therefore creative use of language. You could argue that the catch phrase mechanism itself is part of the forefront of linguistic evolution.

‘my ghetto’ you’re from a middle class, suburban breeding ground

This is called irony or sarcasm.

scaredypants

Some of them are new ways to express existing ideas, and are therefore creative use of language

Only when used by the originator, surely ? I could prob teach a parrot to say “sick to the power of rad” but the parrot wouldn’t be being creative (and nor would I – though I like the term, and of course I live the dream 😉 )

You could argue that the catch phrase mechanism itself is part of the forefront of linguistic evolution.

Yes, and you would likely be right, but don’t mistake this for creativity

molgrips
    Free Member

I would say it’s creative to use different words to say the same thing. Regardless of where those words were originally coined.

If you are simply parrotting things then that’s not too clever, but if you are enjoying playing with a neologism and using it for comic effect, that’s fine.

Innit.

scaredypants

but if you are enjoying playing with a neologism and using it for comic effect, that’s fine

Use of specific words or phrases already in fairly widespread use hasn’t been funny in itself since bum & boobies before I left junior school

If you’re repeating a neologism for comic effect, aren’t you implying that you and your audience are superior to those that might use it in good faith? (and yes, that is the subject of this whole thread)

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘'I fell pregnant' or turns of phrase that I have known and loathed.’ is closed to new replies.