• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • I fell off – do I need a new helmet?
  • andybanks
    Free Member

Had a pretty big off last night after some tit placed a tree trunk across a trail, after a corner and drop off. Couldn’t avoid it and it knocked me clean off with a pretty hefty knock or two to the head.

I’ve always ride with a helmet and it saved me from a nasty injury last night.

So – now I’ve given the helmet a good test, should I change it?

There are no signs of external damage, but it was a heavy hit from the trunk and another one on a brick floor.

simondbarnes

Yes

mcnultycop

Yes

bikeneil
    Free Member

Why would you risk not changing it?

mastakillah
    Free Member

Yes. The helmets done its job. Bin it and go buy a new one.

jonnyv
    Free Member

Deffo.

kudos100
    Free Member

I wouldn’t, but then I don’t buy the idea that one crash means the helmet has had it.

If it is damaged or cracked then of course replace it. If not then I will continue to use it.

You know that downhillers and moto riders often drop their helmets on the floor when new as a superstition thing? I’m not saying this is a clever thing to do, but helmets are (unsurprisingly) tougher than manufacturers give them credit for.

andybanks
    Free Member

Thought as much. Cheers.

TiRed

Yes.

Side of my head hit a car with an impact of almost 20 mph. No obvious damage until a very close look showed that under the outer shell there was compression at the site of impact. Adding a little force revealed a crack that was pretty much invisible.

Helmet served it’s purpose; not even a headache. Six fractures immediately below the helmet line, but above it all was good. Damage can be hard to spot. I’ve replaced it with the same, of course.

Previous helmet-ground interactions have revealed more obvious damage, on and off road.

hora
    Free Member

Any pics/wheres the trail? Glad you are ok

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If it was a bad crash, and the polystyrene saved your life then it would have been damaged.

Good excuse to buy a new helmet if you want one I guess…

MSP

You know that downhillers and moto riders often drop their helmets on the floor when new as a superstition thing?

Moto and downhill helmets are a completely different construction, and dropping a helmet would stress it a hell of a lot less than a crash impact.

If I was in a crash where I slammed the helmet hard, I would be looking to replace it as soon as money allowed, but I wouldn’t be too stressed about continuing to use it in the meantime.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘I fell off – do I need a new helmet?’ is closed to new replies.