• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • I fancy making a cable cam….
  • DrP

Having read the vlog on the news site, I think it looks like a good bit of fun to do! All the best elements of life – tech, tinkering, bikes, cameras!

Think I’ll have a play around with it using my GF1 (don’t have a ‘sports cam like a go-pro, which look to be the ideal).

Was thinking that if you had the ‘rollers/wheels’ fixed to the trees at either end of the line, then you could move the line (powered using an electric drill perhaps?, rather than have the camera simply ‘roll’ down it?

Anyway – anyone else inspired to have a go at making a cable cam??

DrP

Bedds
    Free Member

I haven’t.. but she has..

Cable Cam

DrP

’tis where I got my inspiration from!

DrP

soma_rich
    Free Member

There must be a way to use a a radio controlled car motor to control speed and to activate the release. Watching this with interest DrP…

bigjim

It would be good fun. I bought a G2 with the idea of taking lots of biking shots and movies, but so far only ever get it out when stopped for a break. Would like to find some patient victims and have more of a go at filming though.

DrP

Rich – was thinking exactly that!! With 2 servos and a motor, you you pan/tilt, AND have variable speed control (up and down the line….)

Thinking about it – if you mount the motor to the ‘car’, then you could have the long line fixed (like her original idea) and simply make the car run up and down the line!!!

Watch this space….

DrP

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Guy in SingletrAction has been doing it for a year or so Mk1 and Mk2, Mk3 will apparently use some sort of RC motor
    ” will use a similar basic set up with motor on one end. To transfer power will be using two wheels (rubber) one fixed and the other sprung so the cable is gripped between the two. Spring should make it grip better and also easier to mount as can seperate. May also make it so it pulls back and can freewheel still.”

He uses paracord, ratchet straps and various climbing slings/snaplinks to set up a taught line

Duane…
    Free Member

I made one a while back;

Test footage;

We planned to add servos/motors/video downlink to it but never got round to it.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

This is Craig’s most recent test footage of Mk2 on paracord from Gisburn. you might want to skip thru it as it’s just test footage.
    [video]http://vimeo.com/38351580[/video]

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

My mate made this..

He got the cable mounts online from some camera store, the tubing from B&Q and the pulleys from some online climbing store. Using a thick dacron (fishing line) for the line.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I think this was MK1 footage last year
    [video]http://vimeo.com/22493718[/video]

DrP

Pretty inspiring builds there – thanks!

DrP

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘I fancy making a cable cam….’ is closed to new replies.