Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • I fancy a toasty for lunch 🔥😋
  • stevie750

I fancied just a bit of toast with some butter but unfortunately the dog ate all the butter

Cougar

How dairy.

theotherjonv

am I missing something. Our air fryer has a sort of paddle thing that rotates slowly and turns the chunks of potato so they cook evenly (other things can be cooked but it’s mainly potatoes in ours)

I have a feeling a sandwich would jam the mechanism and lead to smashed toastie and an extensive clean up. I could leave the paddle out though but will that lead to uneven crisping?

Cougar

The power of advertising.

Cougar

am I missing something. Our air fryer has a sort of paddle thing

Mine does too. Some do not.

binners

If you’ve not taken the skin off the roof of your mouth, it never happened? 😉

sharkbait
    Free Member

Some do not.

*puts hand up*

Mine’s only a cheap one!

ojom
    Free Member

100% you need a breville to make the triangles and crusty edges. Use mayo rather than butter on the outside and go with kimchi and cheddar as the contents.

Also recommend spicy mi goreng as a filling.

kelvin

I had classic cheese and onion.

We use those black bags that go in the toaster (and then the dishwasher). Cheap, clean, and take up no room.

EDIT: Damn. Binners The shiny-headed crayon jockey beat me to it. Obviously.

longdog
    Free Member

Reminds me I need to add corned beef to the shopping list! I love corned beef savoury,pies and pasties 😋

Not a toastie as such, but french bread with tuna/onion/sweetcorn/cheese/mayo mix on top and then extra cheese, and then toasted under the grill today. Was very nice 😊

theotherjonv

sardines on toast under the grill was a staple Saturday night tea as a kid. Still like it now, wonder what a sardine and cheese toastie would be like

toby1

‘Grilled’ cheese FFS and by grilled I absolutely mean in a frying pan, so essentially fried bread and cheese.

shiny-headed crayon jockey

Beautiful

b33k34

Breville owner here. Cheddar and KimChi combo was enough to get me making my own kimchi.

But last night we had

HAGGIS

ojom
    Free Member

Haggis and HP with some mozzarella would be a good shout actually.

RustyNissanPrairie

The works canteen has a panini press – everything edible gets squashed in it, or it did until Greggs opened a branch nearby and now I go with the healthy beige option👍

ransos
    Free Member

Had paninis with cheese and beans

“Panini” is the plural of “panino”. Though Binners calls them “panini’s”.

Oh, and Lancashire sauce FTW.

Cougar

everything edible gets squashed in it,

I spy, Sheldon’s Oven Bottom Muffins.

kayak23

Seeing as we’re all falling out with ‘who recommended what and when and why’, may I just fall out with Kayak23. Nobody should be having ‘just CHEESE’ in a toastie. The imagination and list of ingredients available nowadays in a toastie recipe, is huge.

When one compliments the conductor, does one forget the orchestra? Of course I add other delicious ingredients but obviously, the cheese is ranked above all else and deserves mentioning 😉

How in the fresh hell do you seal a toastie in an air fryer?

Stapler.

Cougar

Ah, I see.

That answers Jon’s question about the paddle stirrer thing too then. You need to keep it stationery.

(Or, the toastie is part of your staple diet…)

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Bless you peasants with your humble paraphernalia. We do ours on the Aga. Or we would if we could afford to turn it on.

chakaping
    Free Member

The works canteen has a panini press – everything edible gets squashed in it, or it did until Greggs opened a branch nearby and now I go with the healthy beige option

Put the stuff in the lower pic in the panini press, and post a pic for us.

eyestwice
    Free Member

You need to keep it stationery.

I took your advice but my pens melted and the paper caught on fire.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Shall I use the new airfyer or just go with pan fried?

Well to answer my own question…… pan fried is better and cheaper.
    (this is based on a cheese and branston toastie fried in a carbon steel pan with a very small cast iron lid on top to apply pressure.
    According to the hob I used about 70w in total inc warming up the pan)

Cougar

I took your advice but my pens melted and the paper caught on fire.

velocipede
    Free Member

What’s that? Mayo instead of butter? Wtf 😬

(Goes off in search of mayo – got to see what that’s all about)

mrjmt
    Free Member

Although there’s constant confusion when Australians talk about chips (at last my Aussie partner has learnt to call crisps crisps to avoid any mis-haps), at least they have their toastie language sorted.
    Toasted sandwich = open sandwich done on a press
    Jaffle = sealed sandwich done in a toastie maker (although the call it a jaffle maker)

But then some people call the toasted sandwich a toastie so who knows what’s going on.

Top toastie tip though, make home made pizzas one day, next day use any left over toppings for toastie filling excellence. And never underestimate the value that avocado brings to a toastie.

Bunnyhop

Did anyone see Mary Berry making an ‘eggy bread’ toastie on her baking telly programme?

It was a sandwich containing, cheese, ham and avocado. She whisked 2 eggs and poured them into a tray. She then soaked the sandwiches on each side. popping the toasties into a heated frying pan with a knob of butter and a spoonful of olive oil until golden brown. Voila, yummy toasted eggy bread sandwiches.

binners

Why in the name of all that is holy would you infect a cheese and ham toastie with avocado?

*adds Mary Berry to the kill list*

jonnyboi

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Why in the name of all that is holy would you infect a cheese and ham toastie with avocado?

This. Avacado tastes like mud. Fact.
    Try some mud made with decent garden soil & you’ll agree.
    If you haven’t tasted mud when you were playing out as a kid then you’ve never had a proper childhood.
    Tories will have never tasted mud.

slowol

Eggy bread toasty does sound good, sort of like a simpler to make croque monsieur. I’ll reserve judgement on adding avocado. Won’t it just be like warm sludge when cooked?
    Cheese and pickle eggy bread toasty could be a winner.
    Please report back as to whether adding the egg is worth the extra work or just to stick the egg on toast.
    In fact you’ve just inspired me. Egg on toast for late breakfast. Thank you 🙂

walowiz

Life lesson here. Don’t read any more toasty threads on STW early before eating. Finally caved at 5:30 am today and bought a toasty making machine, naturally this being STW I didn’t buy the STW approved model, but this Breville VST026 4 Portion Sandwich & Panini Press

Can’t pick it up until later today, so our return to toasty heaven will have to wait until tomorrow.

No corned beef will be involved tomorrow either.

MoreCashThanDash

Why in the name of all that is holy would you infect a cheese and ham toastie anything with avocado?

We have no bread to make a toastie when I get home. 😢

But as eldest spent his summer working in a pannini factory, we do have a bin bag full of “factory seconds” in tne freezer and I think that will just have to do

singletrackmind

Eggy bread filled with bacon and cheese could be amazing, or ham and cheese in eggy bread.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ok, my fave.
    Fry some smoked bacon till it’s crispy, put it on lightly toasted toast, spread lashings of Marmite on the other slice, put grated cheese on bacon, melt under grill, assemble.
    Enjoy.

bigdean

Ok so I now am definitely out of touch with kitchen appliances.
    Didn’t know panini presses were a thing and only found out about air fryers ’cause of some BBC news article saying they were selling fast.
    Mum struggles with me not having a microwave and keeps trying to push the “spare” my way.

For me toasties bring memories once soft bread compressed and heated to hard brittle state containing cheese so hot and sticky that it becomes a war crime.

duncancallum

Aga cooked haggis and cheese toasty for the win!

singletrackmind

I have a pannini press. Cheap crap from lidl but it uses magic to thoroughly heat the interior of lunch sandwich to near magma temperature, whilst not cremating the bread in which its encased

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.