Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • I fancy a toasty for lunch 🔥😋
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Shall I use the new airfyer or just go with pan fried?

MoreCashThanDash

Do you not have a pannini press, you monster?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Do you not have a pannini press, you monster?

No!
    It’s truly shocking 😩

(Are airfyer toasties even a thing?)

edit: I’m now feeling even poorer than I actually am – and that’s saying something!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    zippykona

A handy hint in my mum’s magazine was to make cheese on toast by turning your toaster on its side.

MoreCashThanDash

Can you not do your own artisan ones with an old-fashioned flat iron?

(Coming to a festival near you in a converted horsebox next year. I may be offering franchise deals)

franksinatra

No Panini Press? Government need to offer immediate and meaningful support to marginalised sections of society such as these. Levelling up should start with parity of kitchen essentials.

#thoughtsandprayers

Bunnyhop

That’s funny ^^^

We took our toasty maker (Salter as recommended by the king of toasties – binners) into the garden last week for lunch. Had paninis with cheese and beans, then cheese and tuna. Plugged in at the outdoor socket and a long lead.

sharkbait
    Free Member

A handy hint in my mum’s magazine was to make cheese on toast by turning your toaster on its side

Well I could utilise the toasty cages in the toaster…. but sometimes the outside is done before the inside is suitably cooked/melted.
    So I was wondering whether the AF might do a better job.

Can you not do your own artisan ones with an old-fashioned flat iron?

Nope… but I have numerous De Buyer carbon steel pans and some bricks if that would help?!

Bunnyhop

Awaits to find out the outcome. Send photos of an airfryer toastie and its filling, please.

IHN

as recommended by the king of toasties – binners

Ahem, hello! I think you’ll find it was me that started the lockdown toastie mega-thread, not that shiny-headed crayon jockey.

In praise of the toasted sandwich

sharkbait
    Free Member

Plugged in at the outdoor socket and a long lead.

Seeing how brilliantly the AF did sausages the other morning I was wondering if, in the future, I could do the same instead of lighting the BBQ!!

Awaits to find out the outcome. Send photos of an airfryer toastie and its filling, please.

I think that’s just made my mind up on this occasion.

houndlegs
    Free Member

I made a cheese and onion toastie in the air fryer the other day. Very good, it came out sort of like a fried bread toastie.

Bunnyhop

Nettles you did indeed start The Toastie thread, however you Shirley will agree that binners is the king for recommending the Salter toasite maker (still not made waffles yet with the irons), you therefore can be the Prince.

tthew

My daughter bought a little device called a Crimpit for making little toasties in a traditional toaster. Surpingly effective, but 2 Crimpit = 1 proper toastie.

IHN

however you Shirley will agree that binners is the king for recommending the Salter toasite maker

I bloody recommended it! Page three of said thread.

#andIthoughtwewerefriends

*harrumph*

binners

At the opposite end of the recommendation scale, could I also suggest…

Toastabags

A different toasty experience but equally as valid. Ideal for post-pub faff-free cheesy treats

#horsesforcourses

kayak23

I can confirm that air fryer toasties are lush.

Butter your bread on the outside, much as you do in a sandwich toaster, put your filling in with lots of cheese. Press it all together a bit then in the air fryer, turning once until golden, crispy and emitting molten cheese.
    😍

matt_outandabout

I’m left feeling like a snob after eating my toasted cheese and Marmite bagel….

trailmonkey

No Panini Press? Government need to offer immediate and meaningful support to marginalised sections of society such as these.

#thoughtsandprayers

Couldn’t agree more. The great Hummus shortage of 2022 was another scandal that the govt chose to ignore and hit many hard working Waitrose shoppers very hard.
    Just another example of one rule for us and another for the rest of them.

binners

My daughter bought a little device called a Crimpit for making little toasties in a traditional toaster. Surpingly effective, but 2 Crimpit = 1 proper toastie

The crimpit is another great little device, but rather than toasties you can create mini-pies

I’ll just leave this here for the crimpit users…

thepurist

#pedant

The one you linked to was Russel Hobbs. Bunnyhop specifically mentioned a Salter toasty maker, so I believe your claim to the throne is questionable. But I haven’t checked if Binners actually recommended a Salter later in the thread so there’s a chance Bunnyhop is mistaken and you are in fact the king of the toasties after all.

Cougar

How in the fresh hell do you seal a toastie in an air fryer?

doomanic

I can also confirm that air-fryer toasties a thing. A delicious, crispy thing.

binners

Can I just say that I am prepared to fight to the death all challengers to my crown

But thanks for my new title Nettles, which I shall now be using on my social meedya…

shiny-headed crayon jockey 😃

Cougar

however you Shirley will agree that binners is the king for recommending the Salter toasite maker

No you didn’t. You recommended a Russell Hobbs.

And you’re wrong either way. 😁

Cougar

I can also confirm that air-fryer toasties a thing. A delicious, crispy thing.

In which case the answer to the OP’s question is clearly “one of each.” Have a toastie-off.

franksinatra

I’m just back from making myself cheese and chilli panini for lunch. Chilli to cheese ration was slightly off so I’m only awarding myself 7/10 for lunch.

chakaping
    Free Member

then cheese and tuna

Had this yesterday, bloody lovely with a bit of chipotle Tabasco and oregano added.

binners

Cheese, onion, corned beef and Worcester sauce is still the daddy of all toasties

doomanic

Good god man, have a word with yourself! It’s claims like that that lead to regicide and the dissolution of the monarchy.

IHN

Cheese, onion, corned beef and Worcester sauce is still the daddy of all toasties

You see? This. This my friends. This is why that chrome-domed colour-inner is no Toastie King. Corned beef FFS? *gip*

No you didn’t. You recommended a Russell Hobbs.

I will admit that I’ve just made myself a toastie* and, on removing the toastie maker from the cupboard, immediately thought “oh, balls”.

*cheese, onion, brinjal pickle

Cougar

Oh, also,

(still not made waffles yet with the irons)

You need to rectify this, Ms Hop. Toastie-machine fresh waffles are amazeballs.

binners

Don’t knock it til you’ve tried it

Corned beef is the way forward as it acts as a savoury sponge for the Worcester sauce. Add cheese and onion and you have toastie heaven

The corned beef/Worcester sauce combo isn’t my idea BTW. This one comes from the queen herself…

Are you going to argue with Delia? ARE YOU?!

CORNED-BEEF HASH WITH FRIED EGGS

Bunnyhop

Seeing as we’re all falling out with ‘who recommended what and when and why’, may I just fall out with Kayak23. Nobody should be having ‘just CHEESE’ in a toastie. The imagination and list of ingredients available nowadays in a toastie recipe, is huge.

fasthaggis

Spectacularly well timed toastie thread.
    I just had to have a father and son chat with son#2
    As I fired up our toastie behemoth for a lunchtime special of leftover frittata (trust me,it works),
    son asked ” Dad,does the toastie machine use a lot of energy?”
    As I looked out at the rain lashing down,I replied “Child,in these hard and testing times,there is no price too high for quality comfort food..hit that on button” 😆 🤣

sharkbait
    Free Member

Have a toastie-off.

Well I’m half way there – cheese, salami and tomato AF toastie constructed,cooked and eaten.
    Sorry BH… no pictures purely because I haven’t made any bread yet this week so I was left with just plastic sliced… oh the shame!

My conclusion thus far is that the AF makes a mean toastie – nicely melted interior which the bread was {as already mentioned} very crunchy but not overly so.

BUT…… I have a question mark hanging over the economics of running the AF for 10 minutes (including preheat) when I could probably achieve mostly the same in the pan a bit quicker.
    This fact will not stop me trying again though ‘cos Binners suggestion of corned beef is firmly planted in my head!

How in the fresh hell do you seal a toastie in an air fryer?

Not needed shirly?

weeksy

Do toasties still need the bread buttering on the outside ? or am i behind the times

Cougar

I am beginning to suspect that there is a difference between a ‘toastie’ and a ‘toasted sandwich’.

mogrim

Surely to be a toastie it must be sealed into two triangular pieces? Nothing wrong with a toasted sandwich, of course, but it’s not a toastie.

rogermoore

Agreed, a glossary is needed here.
    Toastie – pinched edges made in a breville or similar.
    Toasty – the warm, fuzzy feeling after munching a freshly made toastie. 😁
    RM.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.