Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • I fancy a steel road/all round/cross bike. Whats any good?
  • stever
    Free Member

*Any* bike that’s not built from neurotica will handle a bit of fireroad surely? Strong wheels, bit of tyre width, decent innertubes, avoid the drop-offs. Things were much easier when we all had less choice 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

OP – get in touch with this lot: RSF

FWIW, for road bike capable of riding on towpaths/fireroads, read “road bike”.

Both my alu winter bike, and fancy-dan carbon job go fine off road. Both have rattled across the cobbles and farm tracks of Flanders and closer to home on many an occasion. In fact, I consider it a normal thing for road bikes to be taken off road.

What you want is something like a Rivendell.

Sam

Singular Osprey possibly? Will handle tyres up to 34mm (without guards) but is more road bike than cross. Rack mounts, mudguard mounts, looks nice, pretty light, rides nicely….

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Oh the shame. From BMX to touring bikes. Next you’ll be asking which pipe and slippers

Oi! You’re always taking the piss. I cant get the miles in on a bmx can I!

Anyway, thanks for the ideas, at the moment its looking like either a Kaffenback, Cross Check or Casseroll I think. Reason being, I’ll be trying to keep the costs down, and I dont think those Singulars ever crop up for sale 2nd hand.

kudos100
    Free Member

Oi! You’re always taking the piss. I cant get the miles in on a bmx can I!

Sorry mate, I can’t help it 😆

You know I’m only pulling your leg. Ride what you like gramps 😀

monstermarrow
    Free Member

…at the moment its looking like either a Kaffenback, Cross Check or Casseroll I think….

I was not familiar with the Casseroll until it cropped up on this thread today. I’ve just been to the Salsa site to check it out… and in terms of geometry, it is alomst identicacal to the Kaffenback.

In size ‘Large’ (Kaffenback) vs 57cm (Casseroll), there is virtually no difference in geometry.

Head angles and seat tube angles are within half a degree of each other, effective top tube lengths are within 5mm of each other, and the chainstays are both the same length. The only difference I can see between the two is the Casseroll has a slightly taller head tube and seat tube, which gives it a more ‘traditional’ look with its more conventional high cross-bar – compared with the Kaffenbacks’ ‘compact’ style sloping crossbar.

The critical geometries however, are pretty much the same for both frames. Likewise, they both have stupid names, and come in a similar wierd sand colour…

I’ve got a Small size Kaffenback frame and fork up for grabs just as soon as I find myself a replacement in Medium… just in case you are interested??

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Thanks monstermarrow, I hadnt really bothered comparing geometries as of yet. I think I’d be looking for a 2nd hand Kaffenback (not keen on the new dropouts and I’m not fussed about disc brakes)

However, Im 6’2″ so a small would be…..too small.

Anyone know how they size up compared to the planet x road bikes?

I had a carbon sl in X-Large which worked with a 90mm stem and a layback post, or a 110mm stem and an inline post. It was probably a touch large, but I enjoyed the long TT length for out of the saddle climbs.

The Kaffenback is shorter by the looks of it, but the angles are slightly different. What does this mean exactly? Im assuming they’re shorter as they’re supposed to be more relaxed. So would the XL size work? I’d probably be looking to run a layback post and a 100mmish stem I’d guess.

Ta

rosser73
    Free Member

rode a roadrat in a single ring cx guise for a while, but the racer in me wanted faster acceleration after i messed a corner up and overshot an exit.
    so i went to a longish chainstay cx bike from kona in alloy..kicks me about a bit too much at slower pace but the faster you go off road the better it gets so i guess pace or aggresion needs to be considered too..whatever you choose, there’s nowt like a two wheel drift (and save) on 35mm rubber!

rosser73
    Free Member

just spotted..6 foot 2 on a steel frame bike..compliant is the word

Bez

…at the moment its looking like either a Kaffenback…

Hey, cynic-al, EAT SAMURI’S WIN.

😉

BadlyWiredDog

Have a look at the Soma Double Cross – or the Double Cross DC if you want to run discs. Pleasingly unheard of on here, but really nice in a skinny-tubed, proper steel sort of way.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ha Bez 😀 *munches*

DTF my Casseroll would be ideal, I’m 6’1″ and it was spot on. I got disc mounts put on though. I have brake calipers, seatpost, headset, mudguards to match…

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘I fancy a steel road/all round/cross bike. Whats any good?’ is closed to new replies.