Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • I fancy a stainless steel hardtail
  • 6079smithw
    Free Member

Reynolds 931 probably. 29er with modern trail geometry. Any companies make one?

rossburton
    Free Member

I think Cotic made one as a one-off prototype and decided it wasn’t worth it.

136stu
    Free Member

Plenty of titanium options if its the appearance that appeals.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    NormalMan

Solaris if 853 will suffice. Very much modern geometry too.

NormalMan

^ didn’t let me edit to say I missed the stainless bit in the thread title. Sorry.

paton
    Free Member

These people might be able to help

https://www.fisherandstitt.com/

leffeboy

I think I saw Shand made one once.  I guess the real question is how you want it finished as if you want it bare you might prefer someone who brazes depending on the look you are going for

nedrapier

Dave Yates should be in your list of people to speak to. He welded up all the test pieces and frames when Reynolds were developing the stuff, IIRC, so he’d know more than most about it.

6079smithw
    Free Member

ta, some of those Ted James bikes are real nice.

tmass91
    Free Member

+1 for the Last FastForwards. I picked my frame up from the buy/sell and built it up over time. I absolutley love it. Super agressive geometry, long wheelbase and it looks awesome.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hasn’t steel reached the point where it’s not making frames that are any lighter?

nicko74

I was quite intrigued by stainless steel, both for the looks and its claimed benefits. But as above, Cy’s discussion of their prototype made it sound like it’s really difficult to work (or work well), and there seem to be very few places that have the necessary skills/ tools/ sub-contractors.

dovebiker

Talbot Frameworks or Rourkes will also build you in Reynolds 931. There’s probably someone in Italy prepared to make you on in Columbus XCR. Because of the harder steel, it takes longer to cut / mitre tubes, wears the tools quicker plus the tubeset costs a lot more than regular steel hence the price hike over normal alloy steels.

qwerty
    Free Member

IIRC the tensile strength of 953 over 853 is huge, giving the option of either lighter and/or stronger for similar tube needs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘I fancy a stainless steel hardtail’ is closed to new replies.