Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • I exploded my gravel bike tyre. What shout I replace it with?
  • el_boufador

Had the wtb nanos on my gravel bike for ages. They felt a bit baggy. I pumped the back one up too hard and exploded tubeless gunk everywhere. What should I replace them with?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Nails and craft knife splinters. 😉

I’m thinking of trying a Gravel King SK on the front and a Gravel King on the rear.

burko73

What size are they and what surface are you mainly riding on?

el_boufador

Sorry I posted this in a bit of a rush then didn’t get around to thinking about it until now. Anyway 700 X 40c. Could / would go a bit wider.
    Looking for something which does a nice mix of road and gravel. I tend to avoid really muddy stuff, but there would be a bit of that in the mix.
    I found the nanos fine for that, nothing to compare them to really though.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Nanos is the obvious answer. Great lightweight allround tyres IME

Why not? They do what you want them to. They lasted ‘ages‘?

You might also look at the 50c Clement X’PLOR MSO? But I’d check around that they go up tubeless as designed, have heard different things. Bit heavier than Nanos but more puncture-resistant

Review: https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/components/tyres/donnelly-xplor-mso-40mm-tire-review/

Bargain if so:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYCLMSOXP/clement-xplor-mso-tyre

didnthurt

I’ve a pair of Gravel King’s SK (although 32mm), they’re very fast (can keep up with my pal on his road bike) but aren’t great on anything remotely muddy and are a little fragile.

I’ve recently bought a set of Vittoria Terreno Mix in 38mm, pretty good on the road for a treaded tyre and can happily cruise at 30km/h (although a little noisy) Off-road I’m still playing around with their limit and tyre pressures but so far I am well impressed with how fast yet grippy they are on gravel, lightly muddy trails and hard-pack. The only thing that nearly caught me out when I first rode with them fitted was how much they quicken the handling of the bike on paved roads, probably something to do with riding just on the narrow centre section. This doesn’t seem to be noticeable off-road.

didnthurt

Next summer I fancy trying the Vittoria Terreno Dry tyres as they look good for more dry trails, paved roads and gravel use.

13thfloormonk

And just to follow up didnthurt’s post – I’ve got the Terreno Dry tyres and really rate them, seem to be fast everywhere, robust, floaty on the rough stuff (I’m running 40psi with latex tubes, 85kg).

For the most part they’re great fun on the muddy bits, sliding around underneath but predictably. Obviously they’ll eventually let go on steep wet grass or steep mud, but typically scenarios where even an MTB tyre might be 50/50

isoo
    Free Member

I can third the Terrenos. I had Drys on my commuter last winter and they are really nice tyres. Fast but with more grip than you’d guess from the tread. I’ve only had the smaller versions (31, 33 and 35 mm) and they all come up 1-2 mm bigger than advertised, so the 40 mm could be a bit oversized too.

el_boufador

Thanks, I’ll check the terranos out

ElShalimo

Schwalbe CX Comp is the budget tyre of choice

13thfloormonk

The Terreno 40s actually say 38 on the side, but measure up as 40mm on 19mm internal rims

harvey
    Free Member

i think nanos are hard to beat, a great, light allrounder. they spin along happily on the road and handle gravel and single track really well.
    mine have worn really well too, but just bought another pair for upcoming gravelgrinder.

rOcKeTdOg

WTB resolutes if you ride off road at all.

darkroomtim
    Free Member

Had been running resulutes which were good but then changed to conti terra speed 40’s – they are ace – roll along so nicely

el_boufador

Just bought some terreno mixeds. They don’t look too far from a nano and have spangly anthracite sidewalls so I’m sure they’ll be lovely. Really I think I would have preferred the dry version, but stock is terrible everywhere, for everything (Vittoria, wtb maxxis etc). Spent way too long looking for tyres this morning!

munrobiker
    Free Member

I like Bontrager GR1 Comps. They’re cheap, go up tubeless nicely and, most importantly, they’re actually robust unlike every other gravel tyre I’ve tried. They come in full fat 40c too- I’d like to try the Vittorias but they’re too small.

Clements and normal Contis don’t tubeless well at all and are very fragile.

paule
    Free Member

I’m currently trying a challenge gravel grinder 38 on the back of my bike, and it’s really good. Rolls nicely, and decent amount of grip too. I’ve got the cheaper “comp” version but it’s tubeless without a problem so far.

trailwagger
    Free Member

WTB resolutes if you ride off road at all.

That depends on your wheelsize. In my experience the 650b version is awful! Mainly because its only 42mm.

OP, are you sure you had the tubeless version on the Nanos and a proper tubeless ready rim? I would imagine you would have to massively over inflate to blow them of the rim like that.

13thfloormonk

They come in full fat 40c too- I’d like to try the Vittorias but they’re too small.

Which Vittorias did you try? My 40mm Terrenos measure… 40mm 😉

I’m currently trying a challenge gravel grinder 38 on the back of my bike

I was really tempted by these but in the end the weight put me off, they seemed too light! I was worried this would come at the expense of robustness somehow…

Just bought some terreno mixeds… Really I think I would have preferred the dry version

Didn’thurt and I did a useful side by side test the other weekend, his ‘Mixed’ Terrenos certainly didn’t seem to be slowing him down any against my ‘Dry’ Terrenos! I’ll just need to throw more tarmac into the route next time…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘I exploded my gravel bike tyre. What shout I replace it with?’ is closed to new replies.