• This topic has 43 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Del.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • I dropped my hand grenade
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And broke it. 🙁

So, what’s the rear light du jour then? Needs to be stupidly bright, flashing/strobing and constant, as well as having good side visibility (Something the mighty hand grenade excelled at)

Budget? Up to around £50, I reckon.

wwaswas

exposure flash (or is it flare)?

woody2000

Couple of cheapo ones instead and change for a bottle of Bolly? 🙂

lazybike
    Free Member

I was expecting a you tube clip of some hapless soul blowing himself up….

davidrussell
    Free Member

your wish is my command:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Kjj-jsWfU&feature=related[/video]

soma_rich
    Free Member

I’m using one of these at the moment, it says visible up to a mile away.
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/LISMRTR2/smart_lunar_r2_rear_light

Well made waterproof and tough.

Stoner
    Free Member

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/LISMRTR2/smart_lunar_r2_rear_light
    “Brilliant”, bdum tish.

A fine replacement for the holy hand grenade

EDIT: Gah! Beaten by richiesmartiepants.

transapp
    Free Member

Yep, same as above Great little units and if you loose one, not the end of the world in cost. They’ve doubled in price since November though (which is when I bought a pair)

fasthaggis

I just got
    these
    to frighten/warn car drivers 😀

BTW £50 budget for a rear light ,are you serious?
    You can get an army of lights for that money 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Rich, Stoner, what’s the bracket/mounting like on those? Smarts haven’t really impressed me on that front before….

BTW £50 budget for a rear light ,are you serious?

Fully. If it takes £50 to buy the best, brightest light I can find, and that light means I’m seen in the visual maelstrom that is London traffic at night, then I’ll pay that much. Maybe even more.

soma_rich
    Free Member

It has a belt style clip which is what I wanted to clip onto a bag. This then slides into a secure seatpost or seatstay bolt on mount.

phiiiiil

I’ve never been impressed by how to get the batteries in and out of smart lights… I like the gently-turn-the-end opener on the hand grenade, I don’t like the hope-the-clips-don’t-crack-or-break-off opener on all the smart lights I’ve seen. My hand grenades have lasted years, I would be surprised if my smart ones last that long.

(Unless there’s a knack I haven’t mastered?)

Speshpaul

that youtube vid is great.

brassneck

Poundland had some surprisingly decent ones. Need a bit of weather proofing but have held up so far.

Get 50 and go Tron-a-like.

lazybike
    Free Member

your wish is my command:

Thanks for that…all is now right with the world…

loum
    Free Member

Get another hand grenade, and then you’ve got a spare mount for your other bike.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

loum – Member
    Get another hand grenade, and then you’ve got a spare mount for your other bikeS.

That’s a very good point.

Phiiiiiiil, I agree on the flimsy feel of Smarts, hence my question about the bracket. Will have to try and have a look at one. Just as well I have a back up light with me today! (Shitty little Knog thing I got as a helmet light. It’s rubbish)

brakes
    Free Member

rear smart lights do seem to be the brightest, but their waterproofing is poor, especially if your light gets all the spray from the rear wheel.
    I saw a guy the other day with a light on his helmet – it appeared to be attached to the back of an Exposure Joystick-type light and it was EPICALLY bright – I tried to catch up with him to ask what it was…
    might have a search…

brakes
    Free Member

might have been an Exposure Flare – I could see this guy through the traffic from about 200m away

fasthaggis

rear smart lights do seem to be the brightest, but their waterproofing is poor,

They can be ,but it’s not hard to waterproof them up.

Captain
    It’s was the idea of putting out £50 on one unit.

I would always go for the multiple lights/reflectors
    stopping short of…

Get 50 and go Tron-a-like

😀

FuzzyWuzzy

Prefer fibre flare’s myself, not stupidly bright (but that means you don’t make drivers shut their eyes as they drive past you…) but they are very visible

njee20
    Free Member

I saw a guy the other day with a light on his helmet – it appeared to be attached to the back of an Exposure Joystick-type light and it was EPICALLY bright – I tried to catch up with him to ask what it was…

If it was plugged into a Joystick it’s more likely to be a Red Eye the Flare is a self-contained unit.

Really like my Flare, get the rechargeables though.

wallace1492
    Free Member

I too lost a Hand Grenade on the way to work, though not today. Replace it with another the same, but better secured.

They are a good light!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’ve just broken the bracket for my grenade, so I’m using a Cateye Rapid 3 at the moment and pretty happy with it. Relatively cheap too. But it does seem to be missing a mode (central LED on steady and the other 2 flashing).

Not the brightest out there by a long way I’m sure, but if you’re not interested in the arms race it’s bright enough.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I expected a story of a disgraceful incident in the cubicles and resultant Johnny Cash tendancies!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I have the deal Extreme rear light, it pisses over anything else and they’re available for £43 here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magicshine-MJ-818-Rear-Cycle-Light-Insanely-Bright-/140667906375?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_Bike_Lights&hash=item20c075e947.

If you have a DX light, you’ll now have a spare battery for it and if you buy the y-cable also on ebay you can just plug the light unit into your existing setup.

TiRed

Cateye Rapid 3 (£20) plus a B&M Toplight mounted on the rack. Plus a Topeak Alien on the seatpack for a bit of fun. That lot comes to about £50.

Rapid 3 on full single is as bright as the Flare and half the price. It also takes a single AA battery.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I would avoid the Cateye Rapid 3 mine was awful, rattled out of the mount and when in the car its broke in half and I lost the batteries.

TiRed

Ah, good point. I use the older mount from previous Cateye rears. That seems to hold it more firmly.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mulletus, that looks really good! I like it! 🙂

Cheezyfeetedone, I can only apologise. 🙂

bruneep

Speshpaul – Member
    that youtube vid is great

Yeah! It took the logo clean off his t shirt 🙄 the build up was better than the end result.

Candodavid
    Free Member
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Hand Grenade is dead! Long live the Hand Grenade!

Found an ex-demo light hanging around my LBS, so have scavenged it for parts. End cap/battery retainer had broken on mine, so I now have a spare, as well as a full spare body to go with it. Which is nice.

However, thought I’d treat myself to a new helmet light anyway, and got one of these

Frankly, it’s offensive. I had it on epileptic-fit-inducing-strobe mode today on the ride to work and another rider came up behind me at the lights and said two things;
    “(Expoletive deleted) that light’s bright! Any chance you could turn it off at the lights, it’s damn near blinding me!”

And then, after a little chat,
    “Where can I get one?”

🙂

Del

so are you going to tell us anything about it? 🙄

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If you insist! Moon Shield 60. USB recharger (Sadly not the same lead as my phones, but no real hassle to carry!)

Three different settings on constant – Bright, Really Bright and OH MY DAYS THAT’S BRIGHT!
    Then, two flashing modes. One is a subtle on/off flash at the latter of the above settings, and the other is a franky mental strobing effect, also at the brighter setting. All seems very well screwed together, pretty weatherproof (yet to prove/disprove that, though). Bracket is a rather clever strap-on that works well with my helmet (Giro Xaaaaaaaar), but would also be a good emergency strap on to put on one of the other bikes. There’s also the clip-on option, but that looks pretty small and therefore not one I’ll be using.

Retail is around £45, I think.

Stoner
    Free Member

so are you going to tell us anything about it?

like, the name of it, you div!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Now now, Stoner, no need for that! 😉

sobriety
    Free Member

emergency strap on

fnarrfnarrfnarr

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘I dropped my hand grenade’ is closed to new replies.