Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • i dont understand…. bike test content…
  • daftvader
    Free Member

evening….

so i have been testing scott carbon fs bikes spark 920, genius 920 and 720. i liked the spark and absolutely loved the genius 920. today i have picked up the genius 720 to test . i have just taken it for a quick shakedown ride and it just feels wrong. it feels cramped and too small even tho it is all near enough the same appart from the wheel size and travel.
    so why do you, of the hive mind, think it feels so wrong?

i will over the next week be taking it for some proper rides to see if it gets better….

cheers

weegi
    Free Member

No idea, is the sizing right? I have the Genius 740 and absolutely love it, once I put a dropper on it. I’ve come from having 29ers and find that it does everything I need it to do.

I have a L frame, am 6ft and did try a medium first thanks to my local LBS getting in both for me to try. Saying that I never did try the 9xx series bike so can’t comment on the difference.

daftvader
    Free Member

i got a medium in both the 9 and 7 cos even tho am 5’11” i have short legs and long body. i am stumped….
    tbh i would probably try and get a large in it but its taken ages to get the 720 and now most of the scott staff are in switzerland for the new produc launch i wont be getting a large any time soon.

roverpig

Is there a difference in seat tube angle? A steeper seat angle could push you forward a bit. Also, what about the bars and stem length?

Northwind

Small differences can have a big impact, the sizing might seem similiar but a minor tweak can give you a different default/natural riding position which changes everything else in relation to you.

JCL
    Free Member

Bar width and stem length would be my guesses.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I think I must be missing something, you love the 920, and don’t care much for the 720… Does it matter why? Just get the 920!

If you are going to be having some time with them both you could get some measurements yourself though to try and work out why.

daftvader
    Free Member

Had the 920 a few weeks ago so having to work off paper… will play around with setup et al and ses how it goes.

edhornby

check the saddle position, if one has the saddle rammed right forward on the rails it will feel odd

Euro
    Free Member

Sounds like the 720 is the flanker thrown in to make up the numbers. Not knowing the bikes i’d also guess it’s the cheapest of the three, so the shop might just reposition the contact points to make it feel a bit weird and subtly push you in the direction of the more expensive options. 😉

andrewh
    Free Member

I think Scott’s geometry is a bit funny. I tried a Genius RC once, really couldn’t get on with it, TT far too short but otherwise great.
    Tried a Spark, wheelbase far too long but otherwise great, c;imbed better than anything else I’ve ever ridden but was hopeless in the twisty stuff.
    I have a Plasma and love it.

slowboydickie

Why are you only trying Scotts?

slowboydickie

Why are you only trying Scotts?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

even tho it is all near enough the same appart from the wheel size and travel.

2 fairly big changes, just seen a pic and the 2 bikes look a bit different. Unless “It HAS to be a scott” then maybe try something else for comparison

DT78
    Free Member

I’m pretty much the same size as you and the large Scott’s feel a perfect fit. But I like a slightly bigger bike, none of this “chuckable” bollox.

daftvader
    Free Member

Im trying scotts as I like them and they are the only bikes from my lbs I like and I really like the twinloc system. I would like to test some niners and santa cruz but the nearest place for them charges £40 non refundable for demo’s. And I would also like to demo a nicolai tr but the nearest dealer is over an hour away and I have been way to busy to get there.
    Dt78 I have really short legs for my height so I need a medium so I can touch the ground…. .that said I will be trying a large just to see….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If your after SC then check out their demo program, they tour with a van full of bikes check the website

daftvader
    Free Member

I keep looking….

BearBack
    Free Member

Geometry is very close between 700 and 900 bikes.
    700 has a longer wheelbase but horizontal top tube length is the same.
    At 5’11” you’re right on the cusp of needing a large. Especially with the long back.. appreciate your standover issues though.
    I rode the media launch 700’s in M and L and knew immediately I wanted a large.
    The only medium sized Scott that fit me was a Ransom (w/90mm stem). (I’ve had Ransom, Spark1, Spark2, Genius V2, Genius LT and now Genius V3)
    At 6′ with long back and short legs I’m undoubtedly a large in the Genius 700.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘i dont understand…. bike test content…’ is closed to new replies.