Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • I don't know what surprised me more. Just saw a brand new Trek Remedy 8…..
  • pantsonfire
    Free Member

When he was showing amazement at your ability to trackstand did he show it by making a small up and down movement with his right hand loosely clenched in a fist

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I've got a £3500 bike, I can't trackstand, can kind of bunnyhop small water bars, and can only wheelie/manual enough to get the front wheel up onto a ledge. However I can in my own incompetent way do stuff like the black at Laggan, the Torridon loop, Carn Ban Mor etc so I totally do not accept that these skills are essential.

Would I like to be able to wheelie, bunnyhop small buildings, trackstand all day – yes

At 53 and only seriously MTB'ing for 5/6years am I going to learn – probably not

Do I enjoy my riding – oh yes

MrAgreeable

i can't wheelie. nor i can i execute a manual longer than 1-2m…
    it seems odd to me that this guy has a 160mm full suss puppy's tescticles bike and yet hasn't mastered any basic skills.

Er, how much travel does your DB Alpine have again? 🙄

soobalias
    Free Member

my trackstanding skills leave a lot to be desired.

but one day i managed it for a number of minutes* so that i could allow a slightly nervous but very attractive, female, who was riding in the opposite direction, to pass in her own time.

she knew immediately that i was great in bed

the next day i traded in my £800 hardtail and spend £1950 on a full susser – because im worth it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Would I like to be able to wheelie, bunnyhop small buildings, trackstand all day – yes

At 53 and only seriously MTB'ing for 5/6years am I going to learn – probably not

Do I enjoy my riding – oh yes

Ahhh, never say never…. I can't jump very well, but I learned to jump small doubles (Always had 'The Fear' before) at about 38… 🙂 It can be done!

alpin
    Free Member

corrr, you all been busy, ain't ya?

so what most of you are admitting is that you're shit. end of. i win.

😉

auricgoldfinger

Alpin is now going to post some photographic evidence to prove how good a rider he is, and not shit like everybody else is on this thread……

Gary_M
    Free Member

so what most of you are admitting is that you're shit. end of. i win.

Maybe not shite exactly, but we're clearly nowhere near as good as you. To be honest I don't think there are many that are.

Jezwick
    Free Member

it seems odd to me that this guy has a 160mm full suss puppy's tescticles bike and yet hasn't mastered any basic skills.

The new Remedys are 150mm …

:meow:

MrAgreeable

I wasn't saying that I was shit, I was saying that you're shit.

I have no idea whether that's actually true or not, but I do know I've never broken a set of forks from ineptly riding off a kerb. 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

Alpin – think you got well and truely anilated there ! I can see slightly where your comming from as I assume you meant that you assumed because he was so suprised that someone could trackstand you assumed he also had a low bike skill level for such a nice bike i.e. All the Kit but no idea.

I can manual a bit and trackstand does come in useful for low speed tech parts of the trail if you bodged up the line etc. BUt I think the OP was open to the STW mob – I guess you have a thick skin 😉

alpin
    Free Member

Frau Foxy, that was exactly my assuption. that someone with a decent bike had some skills to go with it. all the gear no idea indeed.

and going back to the ferrari analogy; would you learn your driving skills in a ferrari or would you more than likely not learn in a ferrari (even if you had the cash) and learn to drive something more sedate?

I guess you have a thick skin

thikcer than most……

Gary_M
    Free Member

can see slightly where your comming from as I assume you meant that you assumed because he was so suprised that someone could trackstand you assumed he also had a low bike skill level for such a nice bike

Sorry but where exactly are you coming from?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Devon?

james
    Free Member

"someone with a decent bike had some skills to go with it. all the gear no idea indeed."

You're basing this on just one skill which is arguably not neccessary to go MTBing though?

I imagine a remedy would shine on faster rougher trails too and maybe they like to crash through everything (perhaps more fun than riding around everything), not just slow-techy trails where trackstanding could come in useful

grumm
    Free Member

Trackstands are only useful if you use SPDs, in which case you are an XC weeny anyway and your views are meaningless.

james
    Free Member

Trackstands are useful if you use flats, in which case you lack any skills anyway and your views are meaningless

EDIT: Joking

auricgoldfinger

Is that the sound of Alpin sorting through his photos trying to find some good examples of what a great rider he is…No? Thought not.

In future, perhaps all those who chuckle at those who they refer to as 'all the gear no idea' types could also kindly post up some kind of evidence to show they are truly Gods gift to riding a bike so that we can all judge for ourselves? Thanks.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Trackstands are only useful if you use SPDs, in which case you are an XC weeny anyway and your views are meaningless.

It looked to me like the majority of the world championship downhillers were using SPD's. Are they also "XC weenies"? I also didn't see many of them trackstanding, or the XC racers for that matter – but you can't expect them to all have alpins technical ability…

grumm
    Free Member

Sorry was just entering into the spirit of the thread. 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

Foxyrider – Member

Devon?

Ah that explains a lot.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Garry_ M – Oh Ha ha.

My post was highlighting what the OP was meaning i.e. Aplin was infering that becuase the guy was impressed by a trackstand whilst on a high spec bike then his other skill were lackin. It was not mean't to suggest that I agreed or disagreed with his opinion.

I am of the opinion just beacuase I could probably afford/save up for a higher spec/costing bike than I have already doesn't mean I will or need go out an buy one. Everyone is free to spend their money on whatever they like. Not my concern and there is always another side to a story. Perhaps the bike owner was skillful but not able to do a trackstand? Who knows – we'll never know but it doesn't stop people having an opinion (for or against) the situation surely?

vdubber67
    Free Member

Only here could we have an arguement which is essentially about someone's ability to balance. 🙂

guido

i can trackstand without using my hands or feet. I simply use my kinetic powers of self satisfaction.

BigDummy
    Free Member

This is why I never have an amazing bike. 😀

alpin
    Free Member

guido… bet you can't. even i can't do that….

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Track standing what good is that? I would rather just dab my feet on the floor. Its not even that hard to do, on the few times I have had a go its was not really hard to do for a short period of time. I know someone who can wheelie a bike like you will never see, but he cant pedal up any hills. I would have thought getting up hills would have been much more handy for mountain biking. If I was him I would have though get of my bike you cock and stop being jealous of my superior machine.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Bit of a highjack, but PeterPoddy, how did you manage to conquor "the fear"?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I'm just AMAZED he let you, a total stranger, have a ride around on his brand spanking new, posh bike!

I assume if you had been on a battered old Apollo and wearing a Burberry cap, not a helmet, he might have thought twice about it?

JaceFace
    Free Member

thikcer than most……

Priceless…

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘I don't know what surprised me more. Just saw a brand new Trek Remedy 8…..’ is closed to new replies.