Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • I don't know what surprised me more. Just saw a brand new Trek Remedy 8…..
  • alpin
    Free Member

saw some guy up ahead on what looked like nice bike. sprinted off to have a look and it was indeed a very nice looking bike. stopped and had a chat. young guy about 20 or so.

silly lightweight… ~13kg he said. i jumped on and had a little pootle around in circles. then trackstood (past tense of trackstand?) infront of him talking. he was amazed i could trackstand.

3500€ and he can't trackstand…..

nice bike though. prob meet him this week and go for a ride.

racefaceec90

i cannot trackstand either(or wheelie/bunnyhop etc)

njee20
    Free Member

I'm amazed he was amazed that you could trackstand, not that he couldn't.

I have to wonder though, what is achieved by getting on someones bike and doing a trackstand, other than showing off the fact you can trackstand?

Is this a troll, or are you a bit of a pleb?

CountZero

2010 Remedy somewhere around 27lb for the top model. That's three pounds lighter than my '06 Remedy 66, and it's stiffer, too. Now, where are those lottery tickets…

adstick
    Free Member

Amazed you could trackstand? Really? Is it really that impressive or useful on a moountain bike? Mind you I'm amazed how many experienced mountain bikers can't bunnyhop, which you'd think was a pretty essential trail skill.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Hang on alpin, yeah i thought so, put your c0ck back in its waving everywhere, weird that as your missus said it was "Like a button mushroom"

DezB
    Free Member

LOL. Funny thread.
    I'm amazed that people are amazed that you were amazed that he was amazed you could trackstand.
    I do wonder how he expressed his amazement though.

warton
    Free Member

I'm amazed, truly amazed that I've wasted 30 seconds of my life reading this thread…

simonralli2
    Free Member

But surely someone who can afford to spend that much on a bike has to work so darn hard they have no time to practice trackstanding?

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

ha ha ha ha ha ha ROFL Harris.
    I'm a bit lost too on why you would trackstand. a quick out the saddle sprint, ride up a low curb sat down, couple of tight turns, weigh it. that's all i can think of.

johnners
    Free Member

I'm amazed how many experienced mountain bikers can't bunnyhop, which you'd think was a pretty essential trail skill

…and yet somehow I manage.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

alpin is teh G-narly freeride BRADcore dude

muggomagic

3500€ and he can't trackstand…..

so is the amount you spend on a bicycle proportionate to certain skillz?

If he had been on a cheaper bike would he only be able to ride one handed?

alpin
    Free Member

njee20…. why not.

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR…….. no and maybe.

adstick…… yes

ROFL Harris….. funny. assuming you're five years old.

DezB….. think his exact words were "geil, wo hast du das gelernt?"

Simon Ralli …… it would seem so.

muggomagic…… yes.

BRADcore…? what's that then?

Dancake
    Free Member

I am amazed I don't know what a trackstand is…

lcj

I'm just amazed at this thread. Oh for the pre-internet days…

thepodge
    Free Member

please supply a skills to bike value formula. i fear i may be on a bike that is too expensive

james
    Free Member

"3500€ and he can't trackstand….."
    Your point?

People buy ferraris and porsches but can't powerslide* them?

A Remedy is supposed to be an allround MTB, not a trailsbike so why should someone who buys one 'have' to be able to do something not neccessary to ride an MTB?

*both balancing skills of sorts?

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Trackstanding is far more important to me than my inability to bunnyhop/manual/wheelie. It means I can stop, look at an obstacle, get off and walk it and still look like I know what I am doing rather than all these fools who come sailing past in an instant and fly through without spotting the gnarly "not ever rideable by anyone… ever" line I am throwing myself down… on foot.

Toddboy
    Free Member

We need to start an 'alpin (I can trackstand) fan club'. He is a true mtb legend, a god among mere mortals 🙄

alpin
    Free Member

yes but those who buy ferraris and the like are mostly doing so so they can shout "LOOK AT ME!!!". many who own a ferrari aren't in a position to 'prove' their driving expertise. also, i'd be very much not inclined to practice powerslides in a VERY expensive car.

i can't wheelie. nor i can i execute a manual longer than 1-2m, but enough to get me through most sections of trail i encounter.

i would say that trackstanding is a more important 'on-trail' skill than either of those two (bunnyhop being the first)and certainly the easiest to learn. a trackstand allows you time to consider a line without having to un-click or dab or to compose yourself before commiting to something.

it seems odd to me that this guy has a 160mm full suss puppy's tescticles bike and yet hasn't mastered any basic skills.

Toddboy, if you would i'd be grateful 😆

BadlyWiredDog

I'm vaguely surprised that a shop sold him a Remedy if he couldn't trackstand. I suspect it's stolen…

dasnut
    Free Member

so, hes got more money than you, and quite possibly better taste in bikes.

if you are trackstanding all the time on a trail, you aren't riding it anywhere near fast enough

NEXT

Gary_M
    Free Member

Wow all that money for a bike and he can't trackstand, you should have stolen the bike from him as clearly you're far better than him.

silly lightweight… ~13kg pff my bike's lighter than that and I can't trackstand. Shoot me now.

Why did you trackstand anyway, is that what gnarlcore dudes do to test bikes? Could you not just have stopped and got off or were you at a set of traffic lights.

yes but those who buy ferraris and the like are mostly doing so so they can shout "LOOK AT ME!!!". many who own a ferrari aren't in a position to 'prove' their driving expertise. also, i'd be very much not inclined to practice powerslides in a VERY expensive car.

So you know lots of people who own ferraris then?

prob meet him this week and go for a ride. Yeh, I bet he doesn't turn up.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I've never encountered a situation on any trail where trackstanding was an essential (or even useful) skill.

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

Amazing!

falkirk-mark

it might be of use in 4cross,I too must be seriously underskilled for my bike, (who do I speak to so I can find out if I am allowed my bike as I am quite concerned now the skills police might have it off me) 😆

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I've never encountered a situation on any trail where trackstanding was an essential (or even useful) skill.

I have. Once you can do it, you'd be surprised how often it comes in handy. 🙂
    I can also bunnyhop up to about 18in (On flats. Doesn't feel right or safe to me that high on SPDs) For showing off, I trackstand with the front wheel at 90 degrees and both feet on the front wheel to balance, or do back hops, but I'm crap at wheelies.

Not bad for a fat bloke on a cheap bike….
    😉

BlackDog
    Free Member

alpin please tell me you didn't chase after a stranger and ask him for a shot on his bike.

Trackstanding is useful, but I'm neither amazed or unamazed at peoples ability, or lack of, to be able to do a trackstand.

robdob
    Free Member

Trackstanding is very useful, especially round here when you are confronted by yet another huge rock wall and you have to pause to consider the best line. And take a breather!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Mind you I'm amazed how many experienced mountain bikers can't bunnyhop, which you'd think was a pretty essential trail skill.

I find just raising the front wheel and grimacing works surprisingly well 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

<David Attenborough mode ON> "And here amongst the undergrowth we find 'the pack' feasting on Alpins still twitching remains….." <David Attenborough mode OFF>

njee20
    Free Member

it seems odd to me that this guy has a 160mm full suss puppy's tescticles bike and yet hasn't mastered any basic skills.

Woah woah, hang on. I thought he couldn't trackstand? How do you know he didn't then ride of a 30ft cliff and pull a 360 tail whip?

I still find it odd that you asked for a go on a strangers bike, and did a trackstand on it. There's sod all difference whether you're doing a trackstand on a £50 Apollo or a £6000 Pinarello road bike!

I can do it, but I can't really bunny hop or wheelie or anything in a trials-y way. I can do both sufficiently to deal with trail obstacles, ie I can lift the front wheel up a foot or so to get up steps and such. Should I give you my bike?

DezB
    Free Member

I love this forum.

FuzzyWuzzy

Perhaps he bought a decent bike because he wants to ride trails not tool about trackstanding trying to look cool (but failing as every knob on a fixie made it uncool years ago). And yes I can trackstand and no I don't find it a vital trail skill, more just a convenience to stop me having to unclip from time to time.

MussEd
    Free Member

DezB
    Free Member

Lynch mob? Nothing like that really though is it?
    More like

james
    Free Member

"this guy has a 160mm full suss"
    150mm full suss isn't it? (with 160mm forks)

"trackstanding is a more important 'on-trail' skill than either of those two"
    I agree, but i don't think its neccessary/basic skill to be able to MTB.

ChrisF
    Free Member

"3500€ and he can't trackstand….."

Me neither, how much am I allowed to spend on a bike?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘I don't know what surprised me more. Just saw a brand new Trek Remedy 8…..’ is closed to new replies.