Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • I don't know my boundaries (Selling house content)
  • oliverd1981
    Free Member

So at long last I have an offer on the house 🙂

The sales information form ask who owns the boundaries, and to be honest – I don’t rightly know – it’s a modern house and none of the fences have been an issue so far.

2/3 fences are onto public land so I guess they’re mine. If I’d had any issue with the other fence I’d have just knocked on next door and asked. We have the nice side of that fence – if that helps

phil.w
    Free Member

You own up to the boundary line. Any wall / fence spanning the boundary, you ‘own’ the bit inside your boundary line. The neighbour owns the bit inside theirs.

Unless the deeds specifically state the whole of the party wall is owned by you (or the neighbour).

(I am not a conveyancing expert but this was my understanding)

flatfish
    Free Member

If you look at your deeds the edge of your boundary should be marked with a small “T”, the top part being part of the marked boundary.
    The responsibility of the fence/wall lies with the owner of the bottom of the “T”.

Just having difficulties with my s**tbag of a neighbour. 😡

Sometimes the deeds don’t say, in which case it is quite acceptable to answer the question with “don’t know”

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I don’t have access to the deeds right now – I just get the feeling “don’t know” will somehow end up in more delays or expense.

iain1775
    Free Member

Traditionally it was normally the one on the RHS looking towards your house from the front

dooosuk
    Free Member

Traditionally it was normally the one on the RHS looking towards your house from the front

Not true with my parents house built in the late 70’s, so what’s your definition of ‘traditionally’?

The definitive answer

A solicitor will turn “don’t know” into alternative phrases such as “the vendor has no knowledge, or “the deeds are silent”

ell_tell
    Free Member

Don’t answer the door with you’re wang out. Oh sorry, wrong boundaries 😉

footflaps

My deeds make no mention of pretty of boundaries etc, just put ‘not known’ down.

29erKeith
    Free Member

If by nice side you mean its close board, then the owner usually has the rail side for security reasons the rails form a sort of ladder

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Needless to say I’d just sent out the letter to the solicitor when about 6 meters of the right hand fence blew down :S

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘I don't know my boundaries (Selling house content)’ is closed to new replies.