Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • I don't get this dying helping raise lots of money…
  • neil853
    Free Member

i think that folk see it as brave that the young lady died trying to raise money to help others.
    she died helping a good cause didn’t she?
    i dont see a problem with wanting to donate to a cause that someone died trying to help.
    and i reckon anyone who does is a bit of a toss pot to be honest

This pretty much hits the nail on the head.

In response comment about donating to just any charity, I’ve both donated to friends that done specific challenges for charity and I’ve done a few myself, what people chose to support should be encouraged not questioned. In this case it was tragic that she died trying to raise money for people less fortunate than herself, people are just recognising the sacrifice that she ultimately made.

Maybe we should set up a justgiving page so that we can donate when we see a poorly thought out trolling attempt.

I’m hoping ^ this is the case 🙄

D0NK

this year it happens to have been. a photogenic young lady, and suddenly the media are reporting on it

I thought that too.

phil56

No doubt this incredible generosity is helped by the media exposure, but I’m sure the reason the media latched onto this story so quickly is they realised, just as thousands of people all over the world have done, that Clair was a remarkable young women. All the stories tell of a beautiful, larger than life personality who directed her boundless energies into enjoying life to the full and also using these opportunities to raise substantial sums for various charities.

Having first met Clair over ten years ago when she worked in the local pub, I can tell you first hand all the stories are true. Boundless energy, the loudest laugh you’ve heard, and always ready to enjoy life to the max. She was glamorous in the extreme, but just as happy covered in mud on an assault course or some other madcap adventure.

Claire has three sisters, and one of her brother in laws started the mountain bike group I ride with every Sunday. I spoke to him yesterday, and while the family are completely devastated, they are absolutely overwhelmed by this phenomenon and it’s providing huge comfort at such a desperate time for them.

Over £300,000 now, absolutely amazing and truly uplifting to witness.

messiah
    Free Member

A few quid to the persons charity of choice is way better than this kind of littering landfill tossfest…

D0NK

A few quid to the persons charity of choice is way better than this kind of littering landfill tossfest…

+1000

Ro5ey
    Free Member

My thoughts are that…. I hope it comes as some solace to her family and friends that she past away surrounded by Love.

Having run London on Sunday I can tell you that the support, encouragement and genuine love shown by the crowd to all the runners be they family, friends or strangers is something to behold, a truly wonderful thing…

(maybe it’s that spirit is now being show again on her justgiving page)

A hundred meter before she came to rest she would have past Big Ben, one of the highlights of the course, I hope she felt as I did… super happy that she’d nearly completed her marathon and had time to take in the wonderful atmosphere of the crowd and fellow runners.

My race went perfectly, I had the most amazing day and I feel even more lucky to have had such a great time in light of this sad news. So I’m going to do a little tribute run, at lunch time, to a fellow London Marathon runner…. down embankment, right at Big Ben then down Birdcage to place a flower somewhere appropriate.

hels
    Free Member

Pass me a bucket…

Duggan

re: the OP, I really don’t see a problem with this.

grum
    Free Member

OP, feeling like a bit of a churlish arse yet?

I spoke to him yesterday, and while the family are completely devastated, they are absolutely overwhelmed by this phenomenon and it’s providing huge comfort at such a desperate time for them.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“OP, feeling like a bit of a churlish arse yet?”

No not at all, I was never questioning the womans motives, her personality etc etc. I just dont get why so many people are suddenly giving money to the Samaritans when they wouldn’t have done if she hadnt have died.

compositepro
    Free Member

“OP, feeling like a bit of a churlish arse yet?”

No not at all, I was never questioning the womans motives, her personality etc etc. I just dont get why so many people are suddenly giving money to the Samaritans when they wouldn’t have done if she hadnt have died

I dont believe you should feel churlish

there are kids with cancer who are trying to raise money and will never get a look in I know of one very very heart renching story and that little girl has been trying to raise 500k for nearly a year to save her life, which will probably be too late

some bird dies running through her own choice and raises 300k in 2 days

lemonysam
    Free Member

So I’m going to do a little tribute run, at lunch time, to a fellow London Marathon runner…. down embankment, right at Big Ben then down Birdcage to place a flower somewhere appropriate.

In a litter bin?

grum
    Free Member

If the money raised was for some dubious cause (like Kony) you might have a point. I don’t know much about the Samaritans but it seems like a good thing unles s you know any different?

some bird dies running through her own choice and raises 300k in 2 days

Yes, it’s simply awful isn’t it?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Yes, it’s simply awful isn’t it? “

Yeah just like last weeks news when it was simply awful that rich people donate money to charity for tax releif purposes.

Cake and eat indeed.

grum
    Free Member

Eh?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Not aimed at your personally Grum, but theres a lot of, its all for charity whats the problem, which in fairness there isnt a problem.

However for some reason rich people giving money to charity is bad.

samuri
    Free Member

there are kids with cancer who are trying to raise money and will never get a look in I know of one very very heart renching story and that little girl has been trying to raise 500k for nearly a year to save her life, which will probably be too late

As far as I can tell from recent events, if she times it right and dies while doing it, she’ll easy hit her target.

neil853
    Free Member

As far as I can tell from recent events, if she times it right and dies while doing it, she’ll easy hit her target

What truely awful thing to say 🙄

dogbert
    Free Member

Jeebus, this place never ceases to amaze. People felt compelled to give some money after a young woman dies trying to raise some money for charity, only this forum could somehow turn it into a moaning fest about people giving money to charity.

🙄

grahamt1980

There are some properly twisted people on here at the moment. But like the poster a bit further up said having all these donations come in are helping the family deal with the horrible reality of losing someone then send more donations. And I agree with ton.

D0NK

not sure of anyone elses motives/opinions on this but I’m intetrested/bemused/dissapointed in the disparity between good looking lass dies during a televised event and get’s a fortune donated v.quickly, poor kid dying in anonymity has difficulty raising money (as per compositepros example). It’s a media thing innit?

Both valid cases not saying either deserve more or less money/media than the other.

Some things just “click” with the general public and everyone a lot of people are empathised/peer pressured/whatever into giving money and there’s an outpouring of emotion. Is it just the media leading the public or vice versa? or bit of both?

Dickyboy

I’m running the london marathon for Samaritans because they continuously support others

That’s from her just giving page, that’s all she stated no pleading, no look at me aren’t I great, just a pure & simple altruistic action for which she paid the ultimate price.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

I was just called cynical. Fair point maybe I’ve turned into a cynical man.

I said the only reason this has got legs is because she is a woman, young and pretty good looking.

Terrible thing to pass away. But I doubt the rest of the world would have donated as much had she not been as pretty.

samuri
    Free Member

What truely awful thing to say

personally I think it’s truely awful that people donate money in memory of a dead woman instead of towards a young girl who could live. But hey, perhaps that’s just me.

toppers3933
    Free Member

there really are some arseholes on this thread.
    lets all have a good laugh about the dead and the dying. good on you guys.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

It’s inevitable that given the publicity the deceased runner would earn some extra donations for her cause, and it’s not a bad thing.

The BBC quoted some people as saying “she’s an inspiration”. I hope this isn’t really what they meant…

Houns

I would, well would’ve

Duggan

personally I think it’s truely awful that people donate money in memory of a dead woman instead of towards a young girl who could live. But hey, perhaps that’s just me.

You do realise that the money donated isn’t actually going to a dead woman and is in fact being giving to The Samaritans? Who support an enourmously wide range of causes, no doubt including, directly or indirectly young girls coping with difficult or life-changing circumstances?

The whole point of charity is it is inclusive and goes to everyone in need, not a few select causes.

Blackhound

Found out a short while ago I was at the same wedding as this young lady in Portugal about 18 months ago. I was also watching the race very close to where she died but was unaware until later.

The groom at the wedding did some mtb. I recall a number of the tables had Welsh trail centre names. Looks like a relative of the unfortunate young lady was on the Llandegla table:

P8070455 by blackhound59, on Flickr

stever
    Free Member

Real people, people. Real people with family, friends, lives that have been touched. A bit soon isn’t it? Tough crowd on here.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“So I’m going to do a little tribute run, at lunch time, to a fellow London Marathon runner…. down embankment, right at Big Ben then down Birdcage to place a flower somewhere appropriate.

In a litter bin? “

Nope … sorry to disappoint.

Found some other “littering landfill tossfest…” so added to the collection.

There really are some charmless whelks on here

piha
    Free Member

Some pretty harsh comments on this thread 😕 and I agree completely with Ton.

McHamish
    Free Member

My suggestion of a just giving page for when trolls frequent this forum was missed.

But this thread is full of it so we would have hit our targets already.

Can I make a suggestion to the mods though, do you think it would be a good idea to remove any names or specific references to the lady who died? I’m sure you don’t really want to end up high on the search rankings for any related search strings…wouldn’t be a good publicity for the forum or magazine for people to see the dregs of the STW society in this thread.

tyredbiker
    Free Member

I’m glad so many STWers agree that this thread is disgusting. I assume that the ‘trolls’ or callous human beings have not lost someone, and certainly not lost someone so young. I hope you never have to feel that pain.

If for one moment you can try and empathize with another person, with a family that has just lost a young woman, then maybe you would understand that although a death is a tragedy, that there is some small comfort if some good can come out of it, such as money towards a charity.

If this is a troll I suggest you get it deleted.

hels
    Free Member

This thread is great. The Sanctimonious Sentimentalists vs The Callous Cynics. I’m just sorry I don’t got any popcorn.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

As the OP can I just say that some of you are missing the point I was making. Yes its sad for the friends and family of the woman (not me, I didn’t know her) and it must be a truly awful time for them. But I have not once said anything for or against the woman.

However, the point I was making that I think its disgusting that some one dies and then people start dishing money out to charity. The fact is if she hadn’t of died she would have raised about £500 !

I still think Diana PoW has a lot to answer for though with the UK’s passion for dead people.

wwaswas

The Sanctimonious Sentimentalists vs The Callous Cynics

[harry hill voice]

But which is best?

[/harry hill voice]

legspin
    Free Member

Nice thought rosey.
    I was down there on Sunday as my wife ran the marathon, a great event. I’m glad I still have my wife around, one family is not so lucky.

ahwiles
    Free Member

The overall mortality rate from the 20 years is one in 67,414, or roughly one death for every two million miles run:

2 million miles, at 10mins/mile = 20,000,000 minutes = 333,333 hours.

be interesting to know what the mortality rate for the same number of hours lived of non-marathon runners might be?

660,000 hours.

wwaswas

660,000 hours.

so, in that many hours how many people under, say, 50 might be expected to die?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘I don't get this dying helping raise lots of money…’ is closed to new replies.