I dispair

Home Forum Chat Forum I dispair

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • I dispair
  • Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Subscriber

I’m sat in Wantage in a pub After an evening sorting out the elderly parents. At the bar are a bunch of 60 year old men and two young barmaids and all of them are starting every sentence with “I’m not a racist but… ” followed by every stereotypical statement of ignorance.
    Arghhhh!
    There will be shouting.

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Subscriber

Arse. Despair innit!

wysiwyg

Walk up to him say “Im not a kickbooxer but.. ” and roundhouse him in the face.

Road House..

rickt

ignore it.. problem solved. 🙂

I’m not a racist, but….is there a point to this thread?

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Subscriber

I would if I could. But I can’t so I won’t. (_© Sheldon Lee Cooper.)

jambourgie

I’m not a racist, but… I am Adolf Hitler.

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Subscriber

Cool Movember!

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Subscriber

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member
    I’m not a racist, but….is there a point to this thread?

I’m old and intolerant oof the elderly and intolerant

CountZero

Humans: can’t live with ’em, can’t shoot ’em.

Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

To be fair, they’re probably not racist, just afraid of airing their views without being accused of being racist, hence having start every sentence with “I’m not racist but”

oldnpastit

Which pub are you in?

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Subscriber

Town square. The Bell. The ‘end’ is obviously silent.
    Time for bed.

yunki

Love it, change it or leave it

Advice that works for most situations from bike maintenance to women.

eskay

It’s a generation thing I am afraid. The number of times I have to tell my old man off when talking about things in front of the kids. Not just race , disability etc. Same with people at work who are of a similar age.

rudebwoy

Its not a generation ‘thing’– its a consciousness thing !

globalti

I despair of poeple who don’t know how to spell despair.

Premier Icon Esme
    Subscriber

And I dispare of poeple who don’t know how to spell people.

Junkyard

To be fair, they’re probably not racist, just afraid of airing their views without being accused of being racist, hence having start every sentence with “I’m not racist but”

Really I never have to say this at all – perhaps its because I really am not racist ? Its something, generally, said by someone who then go on a rant about a race/religion/group that is broadly racist/bigoted/ill-informed/ignorant

Premier Icon jimmy
    Subscriber

But a lot of people are afraid to mention the word Black or Chinese without being thought of as racist. A pal said the other day “Not wanting to be racist, but he was *some nationality other than British, I can’t remember what*”. Wasn’t bitching, moaning or being aggressive, it was actually irrelevant but felt he had to precurse pointing out someone’s nationality with that. Sad state of affairs IMO.

project

Some people are racist, some vote conservative, some go to church.

Get over it were all different and allowed our own thoughts,ideals and views, its when those thoughts etc, turn to aggresion then thats the problem.

And surely its the people at the bars conversation and NOTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH YOU.

rudebwoy

go to a different ale house..lumpenheads are not worth engaging in–they can provide mild entertainment but its usually fairly limited…they not very good at being mocked..

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

project – Member
    And surely its the people at the bars conversation and NOTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH YOU.

You know where the word ‘Pub’ comes from, don’t you? 😀
    Imagine that a pub is like an open forum…..etc etc.

jimmy – Member

But a lot of people are afraid to mention the word Black or Chinese without being thought of as racist.

Really? It’s a black day if that’s the case.
    Peresonally, I reckon it’s just a case of Chinese whispers.

I can guarantee that 99% of people who use the phrase ‘I’m not (insert prejudice) but’ are the kind of tossers who really miss the good old days when people knew their place and how to ‘take a joke’.

grum

But a lot of people are afraid to mention the word Black or Chinese without being thought of as racist. A pal said the other day “Not wanting to be racist, but he was *some nationality other than British, I can’t remember what*”. Wasn’t bitching, moaning or being aggressive, it was actually irrelevant but felt he had to precurse pointing out someone’s nationality with that. Sad state of affairs IMO.

Can’t say I’ve ever worried about having to ‘precurse’ stuff like that. I guess I’m not very sensitive about if, what with not being racist and all.

Subscriber

I really don’t want to get involved in one of these shit-slinging threads, but

I can guarantee that 99% of people who use the phrase ‘I’m not (insert prejudice) but are the kind of people who really miss the good old days when Kikes, Paddies, chicks & queers knew how to take a joke.

Tossers, in other words.
    They’ll all living in the past & will be dead soon.

Sorry, but

I can’t guarantee, but that probably applies to around 20% of folk, IME that use it, and even then they’re mostly just bores themselves looking for attention.

Everyone else says it without thinking now, because of the near-limitless avenues that any comment touching on someone’s race/religion/sex/ can be twisted to infer whatever the accuser’s particular agenda is.

Or they may not have an agenda, just like taking the moral high ground to show their peers how great and enlightened they are.

If it was that bad, then OP would have said something, instead he randomly posted on an internet forum.

Nothing against the OP by the way; the whole thing is bloody mess.

Subscriber

I’d edited my previous reply as I was slightly worried that one or two people might not get the irony implicit in my statement.
    But then I thought, ‘Nah, no one’s that daft, are they’? 😐

Amazing isn’t it, I actually managed to overestimate the intelligence of the average STW’er. 😀

Junkyard

Everyone else says it without thinking now, because of the near-limitless avenues that any comment touching on someone’s race/religion/sex/ can be twisted to infer whatever the accuser’s particular agenda is.

Never experienced that I guess it must be because I am a not a racist have not met those agenda ridden folk looking for an excuse to be offended.

Its a common tactic to both say it then say you have to say it because of other folk. Its BS on both counts they say it because they know what they are about to say is , generally, socially unacceptable and a bit racist.

just like taking the moral high ground to show their peers how great and enlightened they are.

Who does not mock those who challenge racism for their moral high ground 🙄

wysiwyg

ROADRUNNER!

Subscriber

RS, I was not commenting on the ironic part of your post and didn’t quote it. It was your guarantee that 99% people say it because they are racist.

..and yes, I’m thick as pig-shit. 😉

Subscriber

bearnecessities – Member

RS, I was not commenting on the ironic part of your post and didn’t quote it.

You did, you know. 🙂

It was your guarantee that 99% people say it because they are racist.

Really? – I’ve genuinely only ever heard it used by bigots – every one else seems to be able to convey the fact that they aren’t racist without having to spell it out.

..and yes, I’m thick as pig-shit.

Ah, but obviously not as thick as me, who misunderstood YOUR post 😀

Subscriber

You did, you know

You’ll have to spell it out to me; no idea which bit is ironic!

*wonders if this will turn into a debate of the term racist ironic*

EDIT: ..and I agree, the bigots which we can all envisage do use it as an excuse to launch into some cringe-worthy (often slurred) drivel. However they are so painfully obvious and have you wandering away with such disbelief, they are the folk that stick in your head when you think of the term “I’m not racist but..”

Then there are the others, the ones that are genuinely petrified of someone jumping down their neck, those that are not racist but grew up in a different time and know what’s right and wrong yet struggle to talk about race/sex etc without using language they have been used to for 50 years, those that just automatically say it because they’re genuinely not…

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘I dispair’ is closed to new replies.