I can't think of any good excuse to post this photo….

Home Forum Bike Forum I can't think of any good excuse to post this photo….

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • I can't think of any good excuse to post this photo….
  • Premier Icon boxelder
    Subscriber

300 sat 200 sunday then snow roads 300 and a 600 from down your way !

Please tell me those numbers aren't in miles!
    I knew audax was madness, but that distance on tarmac would take numb b0ll0x to a new dimension.

I've got the same forks and they've been great. Actually, I've a similar utility bike, except based on an old On One Ti CX frame, with cheaper/heavier parts – dependable!

druidh

Boxelder – I reckon audax is a whole new world of madness!

trail_rat

in kms …

kicks off with 10 UTB and then the following weekends are minimum 200k till mid june …. its my equivalent of winter training for a late season !

druidh

Shame I have the Etape Caledonia the same weekend as 10UTB. I have another couple of Sportives I'm hoping to get to too. Is there a handy calendar of the Audax events, and do I have to register for them early or is it more a question of just turning up on the day?

druidh

goldenwonder – Member
    Light tourer? How can it be a tourer without racks? or even guards?

Did you say guards???

Rik

Druidh – I emailed you but then I did a 12 month advanced search and found this.

How about an update now it’s nearly a year on. Give us a review if you would be so kind…,

druidh

Ah bollocks – found your email, sorry.

You should be pretty clear on the tyre width question now? Basically, massive clearance in there as the photo earlier in the thread shows.

Audax (and various other things) didn’t happen due to family issues. However, I did get out on a couple of wee road tours and the bike has been used 2/3 days every week for a 10 mile (each way) commute.

So far, the only changes I’ve made were to dump the Compact for a Triple (hey – I’m old and appreciate it when it’s loaded up a bit) and recently stuck on a Brooks B17, which has been great.

The bike itself has given me no issues. Once it’s moving it rolls along very predictably, even with panniers etc. The forks look a bit skinny, but haven’t throw up any issues. I’ve yet to load it up completely (tent etc) that will come this year – however, I’m not expecting any problems.

Being Ti, it has survived the year unscathed, road salt etc just isn’t an issue. The graphics on the Top Tube have started to flake off a bit where my thighs are touching them if I’m standing astride the bike. I’m not too fussed about the graphics anyway and might just remove them (nail varnish remover works a treat).

It’s noticeably slower than my carbon road bike (currently a Focus Cayo which will soon be for sale), though I’ve yet to try it with a thinner 23/25mm tyre. I’m also thinking of getting something wider and knobby on it and trying some light off-roading. VN do a CX version of the Amazon but it does have slightly different geometry (including a steeper head tube).

If there’s anything else specific you’d like to know, ask away.

Rik

Cool, cheers for the write up.

Yep the tyre clearance looks huge and just what I’m after, found a few frames with great clearance round the seat stay but not round the bottom bracket area.

Def looking for a comfy ride hence the 35c tyres (although I was surprised how fast marathon supremes are for their size) so if it’s a little bit slower than a carbon superbike that’s fine).

You wouldn’t happen to know the bb height would you?

I’ve just built up a steel tourer with discs and although it’s lovely to ride, I just can’t get over the 26lb end weight of the built. With Ti frame and carbon forks I’m hoping to get the same comfy, stable and sublime ride but drop some of the lard.

What size frame do you have compared to your height? The geometry sheet seems to suggest they are ‘compact’ sized so I was thinking of a 58cm as I’m 6’1 in height.

Cheers again.

Rik

Oh…nearly forgot. Are there any chainline/chainring clearance issues with a normal road external bb chainset due to the huge tyre clearances

druidh

Ground to BB centre on mine (28mm tyres) is 27.5cm.

I’m 5’7″ and have a size 54.

Dunno what total weight is. It’s a LOT lighter than the Kona Sutra it replaced though, that was over 30lbs ready to roll 🙂 I can’t imagine you are gonna drop lots of weight from the overall bike with just a frame change.

Rack-wise, I’ve looked at a few options – including Tubus. By far the simplest is to get the Topeak Super Tourist DX. The widely spaced bottom fittings avoid any interference with the disk caliper, even if it looks a little “ungainly” when bereft of panniers.

No chainline issues whatsoever.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘I can't think of any good excuse to post this photo….’ is closed to new replies.