Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • "I can't give you any, it's illegal" – Fish n' Chip content.
  • benji
    Free Member

I’m surprised at that, and sounds made up rubbish, because how would a supermarket sell blocks of lard, that’s nothing but fat.

KFC use the bits from their fryers in the gravy!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Wetherby Whaler, in Wetherby

No shit, Sherlock

they have shops in York, Wakefield, Guiseley, Pudsey too.

Are you a wetherby local? There’s a chance i might have to spend some time there in the near future (2-3 days/wk, with a view possibly to a long term move), if i bring a bike would someone show a southerner round?

You weren’t out Weds night were you, group passed me as i was staggering back from the Mango indian.

I’d take you out but as you’re a cheeky bastard I’m not going to bother 🙂

No, not local but have family there and I’m there fairly often.

Northwind

Chippy in north bridge used to do custom pies- you got a scotch pie case, and could get anything you wanted in it. Kebab meat, curry sauce and chips… I saw someone order a salad pie once, that was pushing the boundaries.

But the pie to end all pies was the scraps and Little Incinerated Brown Bits Of Chips From The Bottom Of The Frier pie. Nothing could look more unhealthy, or taste better (or do more damage to your gums)

squirrelking – Member

At a wedding a few years ago at The Shireburn in hurst Green, at the time I was a vegetarian and there were veggie meals available.
    Young waitress brings chicken to me as my main course. ‘I’m a vegetatrian’ says I.
    ‘Yes I know, it’s chicken’ she replies. I repeated the fact I was vegetarian and she replied as though talking to a 4 year old, ‘Yesss, it’s chicken’

Spittal of Glenshee hotel used to serve their vegetarian spittalburger with 2 rashers of bacon and 2 fried eggs.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Craps can only be sold alongside 2 litre bottle of blue pop – ckomplimentary goods law innit.

When I was younger & used to be all metal I was told by at least 2 bar staff that serving snakebite was illegal (with or without “black”). 2 halves & a pint glass please 🙂

richmtb

I remember drunkenly trying to order Chips N Cheese from a kebab shop in London a few years ago.

Blokes serving me was having none of it. Chips and Cheese just could no co-exist

Even after I explained it basically just involved sprinkling the cheese from the pizza topping over the chips and handing me the box he still refused.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

on the way to an Audax in York a couple of weeks ago, popped to McDonalds before 4am, they wouldn’t sell me Porridge as it wasn’t time for the Breakfast menu

I’ll do it…

D0NK

Pea wet is indeed a northern thing loads of my mates have it but it has never appealed, but I don’t like chippy peas much anyway. I’m def gravy/curry sauce man. Pie/pasty barm, again, I don’t really get it.

‘Yes I know, it’s chicken’ she replies. I repeated the fact I was vegetarian and she replied as though talking to a 4 year old, ‘Yesss, it’s chicken’

🙂 hehe.
    Veggie starters served on a bed of meaty starters didn’t go down too well on Ton’s tourer weekend either. words were had with the staff.

theotherjonv

Wetherby Whaler, in Wetherby

No shit, Sherlock

they have shops in York, Wakefield, Guiseley, Pudsey too.

I take it back. From the name i thought it’d be a one-off.

I’d take you out but as you’re a cheeky bastard I’m not going to bother

No, that’s a fair cop.

Scapegoat

Where I come from we call them “bits”- “can I have that wi’bits please love?”

Name of the chip shop in Mirfield is “Wi’Bits”

neilthewheel

We called ’em scrubs when I were a lad in Bath in t’1970s.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Wetherby Whaler, in Wetherby, (there are others) does scraps. Go there next time. Fish and chips are also very nice.

Also grossly overrated. (IMO) Even the Frying Pan up the road’s better. Drakes in Knaresborough are spot on though. (IMO)

nealglover
    Free Member

cheekymonkey888 – Member
    another post office conversation

Does your post office sell chips ? 😕

Bregante

nbt speaks the truth. Y’cant whack pea wet on yer babbies yeds.

geoffj

As a recent immigrant to Scotland, this confused me slightly.
    Not as odd as chip shops in Leicester, not selling gravy or baby’s heads though.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR_lgrtxWT8[/video]

kayla1
    Free Member

It’s called batter up here* 😀

Pie n chips, with pea juice and tommy K. Om nom nom. Burp.

* North Shields.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

When my wife was pregnant she had a real thing for Macca’s hot chocolate, so off I went at 3am to get one. Only to be told they don’t serve it at night. They did serve coffee, but not hot chocolate at “that time of night”. Same machine – button for hot choc next to selection of coffees. Made no sense at all.

simmy
    Free Member

nbt speaks the truth. Y’cant whack pea wet on yer babbies yeds.

Too right.

Translation from northern talk :-

Babbies Yed = Steak or Steak and Kidney pudding
    Chip Barm = chips in bread
    Special = potato scallop

Pea wet is called Soup at the chippy near my mates dads in Bolton. When I was skint starting my business up, I lived on chips, soup and scraps every lunchtime, cost £1

CountZero

Down here in Wiltshire when I was a kid, you could buy a 6d bag of scrumps with salt’n’vinegar, and it was a big bag, too!
    Yum!

I remember drunkenly trying to order Chips N Cheese from a kebab shop in London a few years ago.

Blokes serving me was having none of it. Chips and Cheese just could no co-exist

Even after I explained it basically just involved sprinkling the cheese from the pizza topping over the chips and handing me the box he still refused.
    Should have asked for cheesy chips, lots of places down here sell them.
    Yum! 😀

billyboulders
    Free Member

Scraps/bits/batter/scrubs

Screeds in West Cornwall (not illegal round here though, obligatory in fact 🙂 )

ThePinkster

Special = potato scallop

Round here they call patato scallops ‘Smacks’. Couldn’t understand why I kept getting funny looks in the local chippies for ages when I first moved up here.

Cougar

They’re dabs, what’s wrong with you?

MartynS

I remember being in Edinburgh for a new year. We got a chippy tea, and with the haggis (battered) we were offered salt and sauce with the chips. No one could work out what the sauce was..

MSP

Probably gentlemen’s relish.

Drac

The GF eventually strolled in and asked the bloke if he could put some scraps on my chips which he did. I was 26 years old when I learned the alternative word to batter…

I’m born bred NE and I’ve always known them as scraps as has my wife, friends and family.

sparkyrhino

Had fish and chips with scraps 3 times this week,I feel dirty.

bearnecessities

I live in a village with the best F&C shop ever (and I have a bizarre claim to authority on such matters).

Problem is once you’ve had some, you just want a kip.

1-shed
    Free Member

Paaaaaay wet mmmmmmm

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I remember being in Edinburgh for a new year. We got a chippy tea, and with the haggis (battered) we were offered salt and sauce with the chips. No one could work out what the sauce was..

It’s an East Coast thing, basically brown sauce mixed with vinegar.

I’ve often wondered where the salt and sauce border lies, like a sort of West/East great divide – in the west we have salt and vinegar.

When I retire, I may make it my life’s work to visit all the chippys around this ‘great divide’ and produce a map. By that age I won’t be giving a toss about the possible death by chip fat consequences.

squirrelking
    Free Member

As a recent immigrant to Scotland Edinburgh, this confused me slightly.

FTFY

Don’t tar us all with the same shitty stick.

Nobeer – the border is probably the A720, I’ve certainly never heard of it outside of there (besides Fife but that’s bandit country anyway)

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘"I can't give you any, it's illegal" – Fish n' Chip content.’ is closed to new replies.