I can wheelie but crikey I can't do a manual….why are they soooooo hard?

Home Forum Chat Forum I can wheelie but crikey I can't do a manual….why are they soooooo hard?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • I can wheelie but crikey I can't do a manual….why are they soooooo hard?
  • rockhopper70

Just can not get the nack of this cool move……
    essential on the trials of course…… 😯

they are hard cause you do not practice enough, simple.

hmmm,

They are tough, the only tip I can give is to try them going down a hill? I think it makes them easier to pop up and hold.

rockhopper70

tried that but still no joy…..It’s the feeling of the bike rolling out from under me i can’t get used to

AJ

you know what practice makes? Afraid that’s the only way to nail this. I think even Jedi doesn’t have a mind trick for this one.

could try one of these! :-

Well I can wheelie since a kid. But not to the standard of coastkid etc. But ok – ish. Manualing took a lot longer. I’m still far from getting it mastered, but the key things so far on my journey are:

0: Look ahead (plan the move and what comes next).
    1: Its not about hands / arms / pulling.
    2: Preweight the front and move back.
    3: Heels down!
    4: Learn how to skim your ass over the saddle (just) as it passes toward the rear wheel.
    5: Push your feet forward toward the front axle (THIS IS THE CRUCIAL BIT).
    6: Maybe a wee twist on the bars with both wrists as you get as far back. Keep the bars straight.
    7: Cover the back brake with a finger. When it does work it can be really scary!

8: Practice.
    9: Again and again.
    10: Repeat 9.

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

Even I can manual (or I could at one point a while ago when I last tried), and I’m an XC Jeyboy. It does take practice, though with the right instruction surprisingly little. I picked up the knack whilst on holiday when the bike guide offered a “wheely and bunnyhop” clinic – given I was the only taker (it was a sailing holiday with a bit of biking, so not many into it) I got one-on-one tuition and largely picked it up in an hour. Not sure if I could still manage a bunnyhop without being clipped in though.

rockhopper70

is it easier on a slight downhill gradient? or a steep ish slope. Steeper seems to give the feeling that the back wheel is going to overtake the front.

Rockhopper – I’d say you’re nearly there. That’s the feeling you want – but just under control! A slight down slope helps a lot. When you get used to it you can do one in post places, except climbing.

Just to add: here is a chap on a fixie who does a manual, then a bunny, to avoid a crash, in a race, with no warning etc. He just jumps over the rider who crashes in front of him. Its just subtle movements over the saddle, and pushes with his heels. I dont know how to show this in slow motion but here it is (at 18 secs in):

rockhopper70

Chriss Akrigg isn’t it. He is OK on a bike I suppose and he does get to pracrice a lot I understand.

Premier Icon bigjim
    Subscriber

thats barely a manual, more a quick front and rear hop. pretty sure he used the guy as a ramp too

Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

Rockhopper:

do you struggle getting it up? or holding it there?

what bike are you trying it on?

(some bikes are easier/harder than others)

Tracker1972

Isn’t a fixie the only bike it is actually impossible to manual, what with the fixed thing and all that?
    No footed I suppose…

wrightyson

Some of the bikes people use round our way would hinder any man in getting it up!! 😉

rockhopper70

Rockhopper:

do you struggle getting it up? or holding it there?

😯

rockhopper70

what bike are you trying it on?

a full suspension xc.

Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

i guessed as much.

a well designed, correctly sized xc bike will do a good job of resisting wheelies – to keep the front wheel under control on steep climbs.

it should have a longish top tube and or stem, which positions your weight well in front of the wheelie balance point.

it can be quite tricky to overcome this, not impossible, but tricky. especially so if you’re not really sure what you’re doing anyway.

chances are, you’ve got the technique more-or-less right, borrow a bmx and give it a go on something much, much easier.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘I can wheelie but crikey I can't do a manual….why are they soooooo hard?’ is closed to new replies.