Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • I bought a Series III Land Rover project – Will it run again?
  • Premier Icon mcmoonter
    Free Member

When I stayed up in Orkney, I drove an early 60’s Series IIA Land Rover along with a Volvo Amazon estate of a similar vintage

The Land Rover was an ex civil defence vehicle. I bought it for £400 as a non runner due to a frost plug having popped out. I checked the head, replaced the valves and it ran beautifully.

I used it for towing mostly, I harvested peat for fuel in my croft

When I left Orkney, I gave it to a good friend who’s sons were Land Rover mad.

Twenty years on, I still miss its simplicity and character. So I randomly bid on a project I found on eBay

Another ex military Land Rover, but this time a 109 Series III FFR

It was sold as parts. A new chassis, rebuilt bulkhead, MOD reconditioned engine and a host of new, still boxed genuine panels.

I won it and drove just south of the border a couple of weeks ago to collect it all.

It had stood for eighteen years as a project the owner realised he’d never complete. I hopeful I can piece it all back together as a truck cab pickup

I’ll add some links to my Instagram page so folks can follow progress in case I fail to update things regularly here. I know there are a few Land Rover fans on here

Premier Icon mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’m hoping to end up with something like this

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Pfft, here’s the real challenge…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dJX5S1]7/365[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

Premier Icon DickBarton

Is that the one in Torwood?

Premier Icon big_n_daft
    Free Member

If it was 62KB00 in military life it went off the end of a bailey bridge then had the back end ripped off by the recovery truck

Premier Icon plus-one
    Free Member

It’s a no from me !!

Premier Icon stevie750

all you need is the right hammer and that will be good as new

Premier Icon willard

Super-jealous. I would love a project like that, but have no garage and not so much time. Will follow with great intrest!

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Is that the one in Torwood?

Nope – Ardeonaig.

Premier Icon breninbeener
    Free Member

OP im really excited to watch your progress. Im even considering joining Instagram to follow you.

There is an ace thread on here detailing an XLWB van conversion….i would love that level of reporting!

Good luck

Ian

Premier Icon chrishc777
    Free Member

Very nice!

My uncle did a full build of a series II when I was about 9. I ‘helped’ alot and it’s what started me on a passion (and career) for engineering. One day hope to do one, once the space is available

Enjoy the build and keep motivated, music and podcasts have always helped me through big hands-on projects

Premier Icon reluctantjumper

As with all of your various projects you’re making me jealous and you’ll no doubt do it justice!

Following with interest.

Premier Icon mcmoonter
    Free Member

I posted this a few weeks ago, not sure if anyone noticed it

My neighbour asked if I could help him with his Series One Land Rover. It’s gearbox was making unhealthy noises.

I’d randomly seen it first years ago in town. I was struck by its originality, battered panels, chipped green paint, field repaired but complete. It had period stickers from Zimbabwe on the rear. No one was around, I took a couple of pictures, and forgot about it. Until I happened upon it’s owner who happens to be a neighbour.

He said he had bought it from a forester who had worked in Zimbabwe, he had bought it from an African mechanic who had cannibalised other Land Rovers to keep it running.

As I lifted the hinged panel under the central seat to get to the gearbox I noticed and gasped that it was painted a pale blue.

My gasp needed some explanation. I relayed what I remembered of this video clip.

Oxford was painted a dark blue – Cambridge a paler blue.

When I was under the floor, I noticed the whole underside was the same pale blue. No one would respray the underside a different colour.

The First Overland was I’m in ‘55, our understanding is that my neighbour’s is a ‘57. Cambridge was last seen in Morocco.

Land Rovers would be routinely stripped for parts in Africa. It made us both pause for a minute and ponder the what ifs.

Premier Icon walowiz

That is definitely a project. Subscribed and looking forward to this.

Would love the opportunity to do this, but no garage and I’ve been advised I can only do this if I sell all my bikes and my Disco, which I’d rather not do.

Premier Icon hooli
    Free Member

I’m a yes, I think that will run again. Good luck

Premier Icon jamj1974

I’m pretty positive it’s found the right place for its restoration. I already follow you on IG, so I will keep tracking the progress!

Premier Icon swavis

I’ll go for a yes as well! 🙂

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

If I got mine back on the road I’m sure you’ll be fine 🙂

Premier Icon timbog160

I would say that’s a very good buy McM! Good chassis and bulkhead which is well over half the battle. The engines are very robust and that is usually the simpler bit. I have a 1955 86” which ran for the first time last year after 20 years, 10 in my ownership being used as a storage unit.

I’ve had to go for a new bulkhead and chassis though!

Good luck with it.

Premier Icon mcmoonter
    Free Member

Timbog, that’s a cracking project. The patina makes it

Set back number one – the engine has been sitting in the chassis I believe for the last eighteen years. It’s seized. With no propshafts on it, I can’t give it a bump in gear. I’ve pulled the plugs and filled the bores with diesel and atf. I’ve ordered a head gasket set, so I’ll whip the head off and see what’s what

Premier Icon espressoal
    Free Member

As I lifted the hinged panel under the central seat to get to the gearbox I noticed and gasped that it was painted a pale blue

I’d be restoring that one.

Premier Icon oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

It can run again…. all depends on your will and the depth of your pockets.

Just don’t think you can turn a profit on it….

Premier Icon kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Set back number one – the engine has been sitting in the chassis I believe for the last eighteen years. It’s seized. With no propshafts on it, I can’t give it a bump in gear. I’ve pulled the plugs and filled the bores with diesel and atf. I’ve ordered a head gasket set, so I’ll whip the head off and see what’s what

Sounds like it needs a v8 😉

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.