Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • I bought a record but…
  • 40mpg

Daughter dragged me into a record shop on Saturday so had a bit of a browse and found a copy of Kraftwerks Tour de France album on vinyl. Bit of an impulse purchase as I liked a bit of Kraftwerk back in the day, being an avid cyclist of all disciplines and thinking it would look hipster cool propped on my bookshelf.

Unfortunately I don’t have a record player.

Whats the cheapest, easiest way to play this? I’ve got a reasonable ipod dock with aux in which produces a half decent sound (to my tone deaf and untrained ears anyway) – is there something I can link directly or via PC?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

A few years back I’ have said a project Debut deck for around £100 and then a phono pre-amp (around £30).

There’s going to be no tangible benefit to getting a cheap nasty turntable when you could download a top quality version of the track for 99p

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I was hoping for a new vice thread. Imagine the disappointment.

nealglover
    Free Member

Whats the cheapest, easiest way to play this?

dmorts

Buy one of these:Vinyl frame

and this: Album on CD

Put vinyl on wall and rip CD at highest quality into iTunes. Play album from iPod dock

Done.

Unless you’re going to commit some serious money to a turntable then it’s not going to be worth it.

40mpg

Cheers Dmorts – thats a much more sensible approach. Had a nostalgic moment thinking about playing my old 80’s hiphop collection, but tbh thats probably best left in a dusty box at my mums.

ThePinkster

TBH the chances ar that if it was bought 2nd hand/’preloved’ it’ll sound dreadful if you were to play it as I could almost guarantee it’d be full of scratches & pops al the way through.

Follow dmorts advice, at least it’ll still look good.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Where is your mums? I love dusty old hip hop and have turntables…. I could be convinced to come and get them 😉

40mpg

Loong way South of you Rizla 😛

Anyway I’m saving them to inflict on the kids at Christmas 😀

prawny

passtherizla – Member
    Where is your mums?

This place is seriously going to the dogs

😉

DezB
    Free Member

What dmorts said.
    How annoying is it when you’ve just settled down with your cuppa and reading material and you have to get up and turn the stupid thing over!?

RustySpanner

Had a nostalgic moment thinking about playing my old 80’s hiphop collection, but tbh thats probably best left in a dusty box at my mums.

Why?
    Do you leave your bike unused in the garage when the tyres wear out?
    🙂

Get a turntable. You know you want one 😀

MrNutt
    Free Member

get one of these: http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=turntables&ProductId=MT10

you may need to buy a couple of other bits but you’d not be sorry.

midlifecrashes

Come on, I thought this was a geeky kind of forum. You need to scan or photograph the vinyl at the best resolution you can manage, then use an AI based image analyser to convert the wiggly spiral into a longitudinal wiggly waveform. Then a quick batch process using your favourite script to convert line postion to amplitude at the sample rate of your choice, then generate the appropriate file headers and metadata to give a finished .wav file. It’s what Kraftwerk would have wanted.

DezB
    Free Member

Crikey, MrNutt that is one ugly piece of kit! Go on, how much?

MrNutt
    Free Member

a mere snip at $9500

chakaping
    Free Member

Whats the cheapest, easiest way to play this?

Take it to a mate’s house.

MrNutt
    Free Member

get a mate to bring his battery powered record player around to your house?

DezB
    Free Member

a mere snip at $9500

Or £10.5K over here…
    Bargain!

😆

joolsburger
    Free Member

Pah lightweight nonsense, get yourself one of these

Milkie
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/KDyMe-KtDbE?t=38s[/video]

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

“With the addition of this table I heard the best music come out of my system I’ve ever heard. I now think I need better source components on the CD and SACD side before I upgrade amps and speakers. This has been an eye opening experience for me. I understand that no matter what CD player I get, it may not compare to this 8 thousand dollar table and all but man, if it can even get close that would be huge..”

Sounds familiar… 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Sounds like an idiot!

passtherizla
    Free Member

Always worth an ask… I have raided many collections of utter gems over the years 🙂

somafunk

Gatefold record sleeves were designed for just one purpose, i’m sure passtherizla understands.

Having sold all of my records 10 years ago i find myself in a position of having approx 2tb of cd quality or better (24bit) quality stored digitally, personally i wish i still had my records and pink triangle deck as i don’t have anything like the same experience browsing through my itunes library no matter how well organised i have my id3tagging, the experience is nothing like as good as sitting on the floor laying out my playlist for the night or just browsing through my collection and remembering memories of nights when the tunes seemed perfect, i made a terrible mistake selling them all and i’ve been paying for it ever since. 🙁

maccruiskeen

Anyway I’m saving them to inflict on the kids at Christmas

well I hope you’ve got this one then

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-DV1nI–d4[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

I sold a bunch of vinyl when I was a nipper and regretted it … so I’ve never got rid of any since. Still got them all in their nice Ikea rack, now happily living in my front room. 😀

passtherizla
    Free Member

Ha ha somafunk, guilty as charged…. Good for putting anything you can crumble/crush into its desired receptacle.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘I bought a record but…’ is closed to new replies.