Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • I bloody hate plug in air fresheners
  • IdleJon

hels – Member
    Clothes drying – sorry I forget British English sometimes – I mean the evil hot thing that sucks up electricity and burns your lycra. Is "tumble dryer" the right colloquialism ?

1. plan ahead – don't be in a position to need something dry immediately

2. hang clothes on washing line

3. if its raining, hang clothes on "clothes horse" "indoors" or drying rack inside your dwelling.

You so obviously don't have two kids and live in Wales!

coffeeking
    Free Member

hels – you're probably one of those people who's clothes stink like the 14 year old unwashed goths of the world. I can't believe the number of people who think indoor slow drying near a radiator is even remotely close to drying clothes properly. They end up smelling musty and damp and horrible. I've had 1 day here in the last 6 weeks that wasn't so misty and damp that I could put clothes out to dry; they froze instead.

Tumble drier is the only way for me I'm afraid.

Still, I still manage to have an electricity bill of £8.50 a month, so can't exactly be too power hungy 😀 And I've no idea what model of drier you've used, but mine doesnt wreck clothes.

I wash dishes by hand, but only because I have to – dishwashers make far more sense.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Shower gel (whats wrong with soap ?

Soap contains palm oil.

Palm oil is derived from palm nuts grown in Indonesia.

The land thus used has been obtained by destroying vast swathes of virgin rainforest, putting Orang-Utangs and many other indigenous creatures at risk of imminent extinction.

Palm oil is also present in many other products, like biscuits, for instance (but not, I'm pleased to note, low-fat Hobnobs).

coffeeking
    Free Member

Soap contains palm oil.

Not all soaps.

bruneep

Anyone want to tell me by what mode this plug ins start fires?

There's an urban myth email that floats around, if it was true and caused so many fires then it should have been reported and investigated. Bruneep is a plastic heed but I wonder what he means by a few?

I'd rather be a **** plastic heed 🙄 than a ninga turtle. 😉

So why do they go on fire, not entirely sure of the exact fault process.
    The main problems seem that they overheat causing the plastic that they are made of to melt dripping onto another surface (carpet, furnishing, papers etc) This in-turn causes a secondary fire, which if not detected can rapidly develop into something more serious.

I think off the top of my head I can recall 3 fires that I have personally attended caused by these demon things, I could probably find out through work by looking at the stats as to how many others there have been.

As for the dozy bint in the DM well who has a plug socket above their cooker hob? I suspect there is more to that than we know, was there something on hob that was left on (clean mark on tiled wall) or was it the radiated heat from the hob that caused that one.

As for urban myth email, believe what you want to but as I said before I would NEVER have them in the house because of the end results I have seen, same for these scented candles left unattended.

You pays your money, you takes your chances.

B

naokfreek
    Free Member

They are a frankly bizarre device, nasty, reeking waste of time. If one requires a nice ambient smell, burn some insence.

We use a dishwasher, it's more economical when full than doing the washing up by hand for 4 people constantly, as for tumble driers, used when dry clothes are required fast, not a regular thing.

Drac

Hehe ninja turtle like it.

Bunnyhop

coffeeking – I love putting out a wet teashirt on the line in winter and the fun of it being a frozen shape is very amusing.

Bit girly this – you can gather the lavender flowers, dry them and pop them into a little lavender bag, 'tis what my granny did.

hels
    Free Member

coffeeking – my clothes do not smell – charming from somebody I have never met ! But then I always make sure I don't live in a damp house, can't stand it, learned that lesson in cheap student flats.

Nainosliw
    Free Member

@ bunnyhop – or stick an orange full of cloves and stuff it in yr clothes drawer – it doesn't rot and fragrances the linen (and I'm a burly 50 year old bloke totally at ease with my sexuality :-))

bruneep

coffeeking – I love putting out a wet teashirt on the line in winter and the fun of it being a frozen shape is very amusing.

ah! but have you tried putting a folded T shirt on baking tray, topping it up with water and putting it in the freezer?

Oh how we laughed at our work colleague, he never saw the funny side of that.

Bunnyhop

😆

My friend once left his riding gear in mid winter during a visit to Coed Y Brenin, how we laughed when all his clothes came out of the boot frozen solid in the correct shapes.
    Turned his banana's black too!

jond
    Free Member

>coffeeking – my clothes do not smell

Same here.
    When we lived in a flat – generally dried the clothes on an airer in the bathroom, a few things in the drier or just to fluff up towels
    When we lived in our last house – couple of airers in the back bedroom
    Now – a couple of airers in the (somewhat larger) kitchen – which until recently had little heating in it, but was well insulated, so it's never been exactly a warm room.

Oh, and why anyone needs air freshners – plug-in or otherwise – beats me – just open the bloomin' windows if necessary. They're just more consumerist rubbish like fabric softener..

bigbloke
    Free Member

I use all of the above,can't stand all this eco pc crap. Use what you like who give's a toss?

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘I bloody hate plug in air fresheners’ is closed to new replies.