Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • I am not an ambi-stander…
  • BigDummy
    Free Member

It appears that my left leg is significantly weaker than my right leg, especially the hamstring. Several kilograms difference in my weights for single leg curls is the clearest evidence.

Of the stuff I do that might account for this, the most obvious thing is my stance on the bike – like (I think) most people, I stand left foot forward, which seems to put more of my weight on my right leg.

That suggests a question: have any of you who are naturally left-foot-forward successfully taught yourselves to stand goofy-footed? Any tips? And indeed, is it remotely worth the mental effort?

Thanking you

😀

scaredypants

depends really – are you lifting weights with either leg that the rest of us would consider inhumanly heavy ?

If so, carry on as you were. If not, ‘roids n shit until you are

Oh, and real men don’t ride pushbikes. Get a Harley and see how great you can become

BigDummy
    Free Member

are you lifting weights with either leg that the rest of us would consider inhumanly heavy ?

No, but the weak left leg seems to make my squats unnecessarily sketchy.

🙂

scaredypants

Ah, well you’re half way ( 😳 ) there; sketchy lifting and ‘roids are a match made in heaven

(I do either foot forward*, though tend to start with my left in front)

*sadly, ambi-shite is not something to covet

dpfr

Are your legs the same length? Getting my leg lengths equalised with orthotics some years ago had some quite gradual but very profound effects.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Are your legs the same length?

I think so, more-or-less. Shall check though.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

My mate was having problems with continual injuries running and was experiencing something like this with a lot less power in one leg. Eventually went to an osteopath who reckoned he has a tilt in his pelvis, straightened him up, and now has equal power.

Mate was a big skeptic and only went on the recommendation of the gym trainer.

rocketman
    Free Member

As above biking is a terrible activity in terms of muscular imbalance

Always led with my right up until around 2010 when I started making a conscious effort to lead with the left. Probably took around 18 months of thinking about it before it started to become involuntary, more than 2 years before it felt natural

But having both legs working together is a good feeling

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I have a significant;y weaker left side when standing or trying to do squats especially one-legged. Yet looking at L/R data from the power meter crank there is only a 1-2% deficiency in leg pressure when pedaling. So far the diagnosis is down to poor glutes and abdominals on the left side in comparison to the right. This is likely to be caused by subconcious compensation over time due to back injury.
    I have some specific exercises to do to try and bring the left side glutes and abs back to firing when they should but it’s a long road.
    What I’m saying is that it may not just be down to your legs, the problem may be elsewhere.

You mentioned squats, what happens when you try a one-legged squat with each leg? You can make it easier to balance to start with by bending the resting leg back from the knee and resting it on a stool/chair. Keep your torso relaxed and leaning forward lightly, not as far forward as you would be when squatting two legged with weights.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘I am not an ambi-stander…’ is closed to new replies.