• This topic has 27 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by MTT.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • I am getting really ****** off with big brother!
  • RooleyMoor
    Free Member

read this!

This coming a week after news of the ‘possibility’ we’ll have to log our travel details on a uk database…

I despair!

Olly
    Free Member

surely if your phones in your car, and on, they can track your speed that way too.
    though indeed, if they activley start using it to control speed etc, it will be arse.
    everybody creeps up on a clear road.
    i wonder if that would be taken into account? if there are not other cars on the road, they go easy on you?

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

I would have thought it would be 24 hours a day regardless of road conditions/volumes.

it’s just a constant erosion of civil liberties and freedom. So much for us living in a free country! and, yes, I know there are worse countries out there…

AndyP
    Free Member

sounds like a great idea. And no, not everybody creeps up on a clear road.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

it’s not just about speeding though is it?

You have a black box in your car that’s constantly in communication with a satellite and the government knows the exact whereabouts of your car 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yep big brother will now know that your knobbing your secretary, which preuming she consented to, and your wife doesnt work for the DVLA still leaves you with nothing to worry about.

You chose to drive,
    you follow the RULES OF THE ROAD
    you understand the term speed LIMIT dont you?

And you would really struggle to get any meaningfull detail form a phone signal regardless of what bond/bourne/spooks would have you believe, best would be to within a few miles.

mt
    Free Member

1984 read it and see the future happening now. If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear…………..but yout own goverment.

Me I have have plenty to hide, cause I’m a thought criminal.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

😀

I do follow the rules of the road.

I rarely speed.

The black box doesn’t use mobile phone technology, it uses GPS

my wife does work for the dvla.. (not really!)

abductee
    Free Member

No problem. Simply buy one of these for when you are speeding or being pursued by a cruise missile. Or both.

http://www.nrebate.com/en/high-power-gps-blocker-with-ac-adapter-and-car-charger-110v-220v.html?language=en&currency=GBP

mk1fan
    Free Member

Useless idea based around the dictact that ‘Driving below the speed limit makes you a safe driver’ that has been used to raise revenue and bluff the public that Government is doing something about road safety in the last 15-years.

Stranger
    Free Member

April Fool?

kimbers

a family friend tried to kill herself onetime

the police were able to track her by her mobile and got there just in time

its not all bad

andywhit
    Free Member

Sorted

Hairychested
    Free Member

Don’t drive.

Smee
    Free Member

Simple way of avoiding being caught by this – drive other peoples cars when you are doing your dodgy stuff.

Olly
    Free Member

im all for just getting everyone chipped, like you do with dogs.

zaskar
    Free Member

I’ve nothing to hide! Let them follow me.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

All this stuff is immaterial – in 5 to 10 years time driving your own car will be a luxury for the rich.

zaskar
    Free Member

Doubt it.

Alternative fuels and transport.

So many drivers that you’ll have to be patient from too many cars and jams.

tinker-belle
    Free Member

Apart from the waste of funds if they ever did track me – oooh she’s off to work, and then back home, and once a week – oooh she extends her journey by 5 minutes to do groceries….

I never speed, I don’t break the law – what do I care?

willard

They never thought putting peoples’ religion on record in Holland was a bad idea either. Until it got invaded by Germany in WWII.

The problem with liberty and freedom is that you really don’t notice them being chipped away bit by bit. Then one day they are all gone. 1984 is here.

Now, where did I leave that tin foil? Dammit! Someone’s used it on their car!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Of course they’d rake in billions in fines. Everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE, breaks the speed limit from time to time. Anyone saying they dont is either lying or spends too much time focusing on their speedo instead of the road ahead 😆 . Cant see how they’d stop you from disabling the signal (piece of cake) and tracking 20 million cars would require such extensive hardware and admin that it’d be massively prohibitive.

willard

Unless the company doing it was taking a cut… Then people would fall over themselves to get in on the action.

GrahamS

Everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE, breaks the speed limit from time to time. Anyone saying they dont is either lying

This is an issue though isn’t it?

If a law criminalises 99% of a population then surely the law is wrong. The bigger issue is that people can then lose respect for the law generally and break other “minor” laws like littering, tax evasion, benefit fraud etc.

If a law is correct then it should be properly enforced – which in the case of speeding means constant monitoring of all vehicles on the road. To do anything else suggests that the law itself is wrong.

(Disclosure: I rarely speed on purpose, but I do slip up from time to time)

I can’t see this particular technology working though and the article does say that the DfT “says it has no plans to enforce makers to use the technology”

coffeeking
    Free Member

It’s funny isnt it. If so many people break the law, maybe the law is wrong. Or maybe everyone needs to be looked after. Not sure where I stand on that. It’s too greyscale for me to make a black and white rule about, this is why the law is stupid too. 35 in a 30 during the day is dangerous, 50 in an open-sided 40 at 3am IMO seems acceptable.

The use of indescriminate cameras means people spend too much time staring at the speedo rather than the road. IF all cars had cruise control it might be more sensible.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Millions of people use recreational drugs. The government ignores the advice of the experts. Are the drug laws wrong?

GrahamS

IF all cars had cruise control it might be more sensible.

Nah IMO cruise control is dangerous on anything but motorways and long straight A roads. I wouldn’t want to use it to stick to 30 on a winding urban street.

It would be better if the car could detect the local speed restrictions and audibly alert you when you break them. I think one of the new cars on the market can read speed signs, so that sounds like a possible step towards this.

Millions of people use recreational drugs. The government ignores the advice of the experts. Are the drug laws wrong?

Yep though that doesn’t mean they should be repealed completely, just revised. They may affect millions but that is still a relatively small minority – speeding laws are broken by the vast majority.

MTT
    Free Member

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘I am getting really ****** off with big brother!’ is closed to new replies.