Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 283 total)
  • "I am a practising member of the Church of England and so forth"
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

As for belief in a higher being, who cares, about 70% of the planet do. Get over it. Science can’t actually disprove it, so the “scientists” are up shit creek there. The absence of evidence isn’t proof one way or the other. In fact, you could argue that belief in god is simply the filling of the void of not understanding the mystery’s of the universe, and there seems to be an inherent need for humans to fill this lack of knowledge with something

….even when we know something to be true empirically….people fill their already filled void with faith. Humans will still be killing each other for religous reasons during the Third Earth-Mars War of 2652.

I don’t know how May reconcilles her party with the direction of the CofE though, she strikes me as being cut from the same cloth as the kind of Catholic that disavows the pope for not being Catholic enough.

richc
    Free Member

….even when we know aomething to be true empirically

True, however at the moment we know next to nothing about how the universe works. So it makes the assumption that ‘god’ in whatever form cannot exist more absurd.

If any scientist published a conclusion to such a complex problem, whilst admitting they knew less that a couple of percent of how something worked would be a laughing stock.

slackalice
    Free Member

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah religion is for sissy’s blah blah blah prove it blah blah blah blah real men especially from the north don’t need faith blah blah blah blah blah broken record.

First time I’ve dropped into one of these threads for a long time.

Same old same old. Numb nuts.

miketually
    Free Member

In starting this thread, I was more interested in how May being a practicing Anglican relates to her actions than the truth or otherwise of what she believes. (Not that we know what she believes; we just know that she’s a practicing Anglican, whatever that means.)

I find reconciling the two things difficult, though I am party to the conflict involved in the cake stall at the local church Christmas Fair so am aware of how Christianity and being a dick can easily go hand-in-hand.

I’m also struggling to see how her faith will help with Brexit, as a quick search found nothing.

Cougar

You can probably get some cream for that.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Whatever the universe is, in it’s entirety, it’s EXTREMELY complicated.

“god” is a simpleton’s response to an equally extremely complicated query.

“Not only is the universe queerer than we suppose, it’s queerer than we CAN suppose”.

“god” is something that superstitious humans supposed existed as an explanation, not having the means to even start out on the first step towards trying to understand the universe around them. The scientific method and the enlightenment hadn’t yet arrived to illuminate our little corner of things.

Most of the humans on the planet don’t seem to have kept up with even the minimal progress made so far.

But progress HAS been made and every new piece of information takes our understanding further away from the primitive and silly idea of there being a “god” of some sort “behind” everything.

Which is nice.

miketually
    Free Member

Whatever the universe is, in it’s entirety, it’s EXTREMELY complicated.

“god” is a simpleton’s response to an equally extremely complicated query.

“Not only is the universe queerer than we suppose, it’s queerer than we CAN suppose”.

“god” is something that superstitious humans supposed existed as an explanation, not having the means to even start out on the first step towards trying to understand the universe around them. The scientific method and the enlightenment hadn’t yet arrived to illuminate our little corner of things.

Most of the humans on the planet don’t seem to have kept up with even the minimal progress made so far.

But progress HAS been made and every new piece of information takes our understanding further away from the primitive and silly idea of there being a “god” of some sort “behind” everything.

Which is nice.

I know this is going to make me seem all molgrips about this, but this somewhat ignores all of the intelligent people of faith.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

and all the unintelligent ideas that even intelligent people can hold onto and justify to themselves despite lack of evidence…

we are – after all – a post-fact society… 😉

Lovely to see the usual suspects getting their “I’m persecuted because you dare to use rational thought to question my beliefs…” in after only a few pages 😉

colp

Have you tried tipping your saddle forwards?

Northwind

nealglover – Member

You are of course paraphrasing*

*making stuff up, that she didn’t say.

Um, no, not at all- I didn’t imply May had said this, I was responding to Molgrips. Which is why I quoted his post.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Even if he/she does exist he can suck my balls anyway…..atheism is so yesterday guys…..misotheism is where its at.

yunki
    Free Member

taxi25
    Free Member

We’ve done this topic to death before. The only abuse, narrow mindedness and bigotry I have seen comes the “anti-religious” posters. STW as a whole has effectively become an unsafe place for people of faith. As I said it’s the very worst of the place.

This is very true, and I say that as a person without religious faith. There also the most boring. I only dip in hoping someone has something new to say but no its the same old bores going around and around trying to out bore each other.

@cougar
    . Every time someone says or implies that a belief in God makes them a fool and stupid that’s your abuse right there. 🙁

mefty
    Free Member

… which is why we have a report button, so that Moderators don’t need to be omnipresent

Some seed falls on stony ground.

Cougar

Every time someone says or implies that a belief in God makes them a fool and stupid that’s your abuse right there.

I may be biased (though I try not to be), but it does seem to me that it’s a minority of the non-theist people who take that approach, and we’re all being tarred with the same brush and being judged on the merits of threads from years ago. Hell, even Mr Woppit’s managed a comparatively restrained post today. (-:

Rightly or wrongly (and I’m willing to be convinced otherwise) the line in the sand I’m using is that it’s abuse if it’s an attack on the person but not if it’s an attack on an idea. If I called you a fool for believing something, that is abusive; if I were to say that the belief itself was foolish, it isn’t.

Any other way of looking at it is veering too close to censorship and thought police for my liking. Shall I hop onto a sports thread and delete any comments criticising another’s favourite team?

This is why I’ve said time and again to use the Report Post link, then any abusive posts can and will be reviewed (by the team, not just me). Yet no-one ever does on these threads, not ever, they just occasionally jump into the thread to say how nasty the atheists are or accuse STW of bias. Whilst I occasionally might be opinionated as a User I do try to be as fair and impartial as possible as a Moderator, and I’m reasonably sure the others do to; there’s no intentional bias, but religion doesn’t get Special Privilege either.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Unsafe how?

Perhaps a bit of an overstatement?

jamj1974

jambalaya – Member
    We’ve done this topic to death before. The only abuse, narrow mindedness and bigotry I have seen comes the “anti-religious” posters. STW as a whole has effectively become an unsafe place for people of faith. As I said it’s the very worst of the place.

I don’t have any issue with faith. I’m not interested in bashing belief in God or faith – as my posting history would indicate.

I have an issue with hypocrisy pertaining to religion. An issue with politicians publically asserting that their religious belief and personal relationship with god supports and validates their decisions and position – especially when these run counter to the prevailing morality explicit in their proclaimed religions narratives. Frankly it stinks.

jamj1974

When listening to May, should we remember that the devil can quote scripture for its own purpose…?

mefty
    Free Member

This is why I’ve said time and again to use the Report Post link, then any abusive posts can and will be reviewed (by the team, not just me)

Matthew 5:39

miketually
    Free Member

I know Hilary Clinton is an actual demon, but didn’t realise that May was one too!

CountZero

When listening to May, should we remember that the devil can quote scripture for its own purpose…?

Princess Tony did it all the time.

jamj1974

I know Hilary Clinton is an actual demon, but didn’t realise that May was one too!

As long as she is not the Gatekeeper – that’s fine.

jamj1974

Princess Tony did it all the time.

Yes. He’s a hypocrite too. If there is a god, I hope there is a special place in hell for him, W and his ilk.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Can you Report Post on the abusive posts please? I seem to have missed them.

We’ve had many threads and they’ve all gone the same way. Look at the inferences here on the first page that all religious people are bigots. Even had the nonsense that Fillon (just won right to challenge for French Presidency, he’s Catholic) hates homosexuals, absolute garbage. Like many millions of French he was against Gay marriage but he has said he won’t change the law, he voted against Maastricht but he’s not going to take France out of the EU either)

As you know I am against reporting post after post, you’ve got better things to do. It’s simpler just to stay away from these threads. They are in my view the absolute worst of STW. Far worse than the politics one’s.

5thElefant
    Free Member

We’ve had many threads and they’ve all gone the same way. Look at the inferences here on the first page that all religious people are bigots.

If they’re not they’re doing it wrong.

jamj1974

Because their manual is so vaguely written / translated and self-contradictory that it can be used to support whatever world view someone already has.

And in the case of Christianity, selectively edited all through history.

anagallis_arvensis

Shall I hop onto a sports thread and delete any comments criticising another’s favourite team?

I’ve been a good boy recently!!

Cougar

We’ve had many threads and they’ve all gone the same way.

Historically sure, I was guilty of it myself at one point. But recently?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Dont stop yet, I predicted at least 8 pages….

chewkw
    Free Member

Are you lot anti-Christ?

Is that the right description?

Or is atheist the right description?

But then atheist are people that don’t care about what other belief is that right? i.e. do they go around condemning or anti-ing?

😯

molgrips
    Free Member

People’s twisted view of scripture makes them believe their stupid, selfish, often intolerant and persecutive (Is that a word? If not, I have invented it.) actions are morally right and justified.

If she were basing policy on scripture, then yes. But there’s no evidence that’s happening. People can base policy on Das Kapital, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, any book they like. In fact we all do. The books we read and the culture we absorb help to create our identities and guide our actions, regardless.

However, it’s not that simple; if she’s claiming “god agrees with me” then it may well add additional weight to her policies with those who believe in that sort of thing.

Again – IF she used that in debate – then you’d have a point. But she doesn’t.

jamj1974

Are you lot anti-Christ?
    Is that the right description?
    Or is atheist the right description?
    But then atheist are people that don’t care about what other belief is that right? i.e. do they go around condemning or anti-ing?

Not here. Just sick of people espousing one thing and pursuing another.

I am however anti-May!

jamj1974

If she were basing policy on scripture, then yes. But there’s no evidence that’s happening. People can base policy on Das Kapital, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, any book they like. In fact we all do. The books we read and the culture we absorb help to create our identities and guide our actions, regardless.

No, not the same thing at all. She is clearly using religion in her background to set herself up as a morally upstanding person – despite acting immorally.

We are all influenced by our background and experiences, the difference is that we don’t carefully state them on record in an attempt to influence large numbers of people and gain power.

chewkw
    Free Member

jamj1974 – Member
    Not here. Just sick of people espousing one thing and pursuing another.

I support PM May so she can belief all she wants because I will still support her.

However, I also belief in the walking dead or those with brain rot … 😆

p/s. We are all influenced by one thing or another even believing in nothing is still a belief, but if you admit to brain rot then you do not have a belief.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you believe that you had a conversation with God and received an answer then you are either a) schizophrenic or b) His prophet.

Says who?

I know this is going to make me seem all molgrips about this, but this somewhat ignores all of the intelligent people of faith.

I have my own trope – awseome 🙂

But yes. You (the militant aetheists) go on about inteligence being important, then you dismiss the intelligent responses to your arguments because they don’t agree with you. How incredibly ironic.

She is clearly using religion in her background to set herself up as a morally upstanding person – despite acting immorally.

If you are saying this is a cynical ploy to get votes, then fine – that may be it. If Christian philosophy influences her politics then well, she hides it well.

But she still has not yet based arguments on scripture. If she did then she’d get torn to pieces pretty quickly, and not just by you lot.

jamj1974

But yes. You (the militant aetheists) go on about inteligence being important, then you dismiss the intelligent responses to your arguments because they don’t agree with you. How incredibly ironic.

Speaking for myself… Militant? Certainly. Atheist? Not really.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Historically sure, I was guilty of it myself at one point. But recently?

Maybe not in fairness, I was so put off I don’t normally open them. I did this one as it referenced the PM.

dannyh
    Free Member

Oh my. A politics combined with religion thread on STW…….

Usual suspects in?

Check.

Predictable battle lines drawn and being defended to the last?

Check.

University Challenge on in a few minutes?

Check out.

jamj1974

dannyh – Member
    Oh my. A politics combined with religion thread on STW…….
    Usual suspects in?
    Check.
    Predictable battle lines drawn and being defended to the last?
    Check.
    Check out.

😆

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The correct answer – Barton-Singer’s a bright chap!! Not sure about Paxo’s Don Quixote (aka Quicksoat)!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 283 total)

The topic ‘"I am a practising member of the Church of England and so forth"’ is closed to new replies.