Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 283 total)
  • "I am a practising member of the Church of England and so forth"
  • mudshark
    Free Member

Some people who called themselves Christians somehow managed to persuade themselves that slavery was OK – because they’re black and that’s their purpose in life or something.

Not sure how being a Christian helps guide on the Brexit thing though staying in must surely be better for people globally.

BTW, those that think following a religion implies some sort of lack of intelligence are deluding themselves to help justify their position.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Yesterday, I visited a Quaker meeting house, a Roman Catholic church, a Methodist chapel, a mosque, an Anglican church, a Sikh gurdwara, and a Buddhist centre.

The relentless drudgery of the religious iconography salesman.

kimbers

BTW, those that think following a religion implies some sort of lack of intelligence are deluding themselves to help justify their position.

its true that generally religion increases as IQ decreases, but there’s obviously a lot more factors at play

at an international level its more about income and education really
    (although intra nationally- thats just like brexit- so theres probably a healthy overlap between the 2!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_intelligence

kimbers

perchypanther – Member
    Yesterday, I visited a Quaker meeting house, a Roman Catholic church, a Methodist chapel, a mosque, an Anglican church, a Sikh gurdwara, and a Buddhist centre.

hedging your bets?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Yesterday, I visited a Quaker meeting house, a Roman Catholic church, a Methodist chapel, a mosque, an Anglican church, a Sikh gurdwara, and a Buddhist centre

Unluckiest Jehovahs Witness ever!

yunki
    Free Member

Is no-one seeing any more sinister side to this?
    In the present global situation, I’m not sure that it makes any sense whatsoever for a leader to identify with a particular religion, unless they are deliberately trying to be divisive..

footflaps

In the present global situation, I’m not sure that it makes any sense whatsoever for a leader to identify with a particular religion, unless they are deliberately trying to be divisive..

Well now they have the snoopers charter they’ll be working out the religion of everyone in the UK and starting a list……..

jam-bo

Is no-one seeing any more sinister side to this?

CofE sinister? I always thought it was the fluffier side of religion for people who just like a sing-a-long on a sunday morning.

Cougar

Don’t you lot get bored of posting the same shite over and over again?

Don’t you get bored of complaining about it?

saying ‘I talked to god and he agreed it was a good idea to put billboards on lorries telling immigrants to go home’ is no different to simply having thought of it yourself.

In and of itself you’re absolutely right. However, it’s not that simple; if she’s claiming “god agrees with me” then it may well add additional weight to her policies with those who believe in that sort of thing. Which, y’know, is one of the points of religion, the leverage of power / authority over the masses.

Cougar

Big in America, innit. I doubt very much that an openly atheist candidate would ever get voted in as President, there’s a large contingent of the US that would never want to be ruled by a godless heathen.

yunki
    Free Member

aren’t we a bit more developed than the US as a nation though? 🙁

I reckon she’s up to mischief

kerley
    Free Member

If Christianity really did affect her politics as suggested above then she’d not be quite such a nasty Tory…

Exactly. I am non-religious but more of a christian that any Tory.
    If everyone in this country had a truly christian attitude it would be the best place to live in the world.

ransos
    Free Member

‘I talked to god and he agreed it was a good idea to put billboards on lorries telling immigrants to go home’ is no different to simply having thought of it yourself.

People have been using religion to justify evil acts since year dot. It’s one of the reasons they get away with it.

jimjam
    Free Member

yunki

I reckon she’s up to mischief

God told her to say that, so she could use her snoopers charter to monitor everyone who objects and put them on “the list”.

Incidentally, god told me I should marry Jennifer Lawrence. He told me she’d be unhappy about it first but if I persist she’ll eventually give in.

Yes, god is a he. Sorry women, get off the internet and get back to your washing dishes.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

@sesomah77…you are correct. I am using my own belief system. It’s called logic, reasoning and evidence based knowledge. Something a group of people chanting in an old building and believing in an ancient book clearly aren’t practising. 😀

seosamh77
    Free Member

edenvalleyboy – Member
    @sesomah77…you are correct. I am using my own belief system. It’s called logic, reasoning and evidence based knowledge.

It really isn’t, based on the evidence provided, you are projecting your own bias on to Mrs May.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

@sesosmah77…do you have faith/are religious etc?

BoardinBob

Yip

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

@boardinbob.. excellent post.

seosamh77
    Free Member

edenvalleyboy – Member
    @sesosmah77…do you have faith/are religious etc?

Nope, gave up going to chapel when I was 12, and old enough to start defying my parents (well my grannies wishes, my parents just took us because of tradition.)

My religion would lie somewhere in speculating the questions I asked earlier in the thread, ie, what is beyond the big bang, what’s the point of the universe. There are theories there I’d believe in more than god, Ie some sort of multiverse theory. I believe god is a lack of understanding of physics.

miketually
    Free Member

It was for a thing.

richc
    Free Member

It’s a sad change in society that being openly religious is now socially acceptable.

Saddest thing I heard was an retired teacher talking about how she was hesitant to wear a cross or say she went to church due to the open hostility she got from strangers who liked to have loud conversations about her being stupid; apparently open hostility and aggression to someone with different views to yours is now OK.

epicyclo

I’m pleased to hear Mrs May is a practising Christian. It has a great moral ideology.

Now if she would just read the latest version of the manual and find the bit about how to behave to poor, the sick, and the oppressed it would be wonderful. At the moment she seems to be operating out of the Old Testament manual for genocide of “other” people.

As for science being superior, does that explain why we’ve had stuff like eugenics?

(I’m atheist)

seosamh77
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member
    As for science being superior, does that explain why we’ve had stuff like eugenics?

Science doesn’t provide a moral background. So your question doesn’t really make any sense.

footflaps

So your question doesn’t really make any sense.

very much like Religion then 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Half way and on a roll….

seosamh77
    Free Member

footflaps – Member
    So your question doesn’t really make any sense.
    very much like Religion then

See here’s the thing though, religion does make sense to some people, it gives them a sense of good well being and completeness, it gives them their guidelines, it can even give people their social lives and what not. Not in all cases obviously.

But, who am I to question that aspect of it, if it doesn’t impact negatively on others? tbh, I struggle to see what is bad from that point of view.

philjunior
    Free Member

Interesting the way this thread has gone, particularly as she referred to being a practising member of the Church of England, not to having a belief in God, which I find interesting.

I know plenty of people who go to church for the philosophy without taking everything too literally, although how you could take “love your neighbour” to mean “keep the darkies out and discriminate against the gays”, I don’t really understand.

Cougar

I know plenty of people who go to church for the philosophy without taking everything too literally, although how you could take “love your neighbour” to mean “keep the darkies out and discriminate against the gays”, I don’t really understand.

Because their manual is so vaguely written / translated and self-contradictory that it can be used to support whatever world view someone already has.

I’d like to hope that 21st Century sermons are all rainbows and unicorns, maybe with the option of a free glass of red and a biscuit, but I suppose whatever they preach is down to the whim of the preacher.

jambalaya
    Free Member

We’ve done this topic to death before. The only abuse, narrow mindedness and bigotry I have seen comes the “anti-religious” posters. STW as a whole has effectively become an unsafe place for people of faith. As I said it’s the very worst of the place.

Cougar

Can you Report Post on the abusive posts please? I seem to have missed them.

longwayhome
    Free Member

See here’s the thing though, religion does make sense to some people, it gives them a sense of good well being and completeness

So it’s a bit like homeopathy/the placebo effect then and is equally as valid?

mefty
    Free Member

Can you Report Post on the abusive posts please? I seem to have missed them.

There Are None So Blind As Those Who Will Not See.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀

(but tbf, this is a pale imitation of the norm)

miketually
    Free Member

I’d like to hope that 21st Century sermons are all rainbows and unicorns, maybe with the option of a free glass of red and a biscuit, but I suppose whatever they preach is down to the whim of the preacher.

There will be a range of acceptable views within each denomination, and that will shift over time. Even in the same parish, there could be two priests with differing views.

Northwind

molgrips – Member

May’s faith is of no significance here. If she started making policies directly based on scripture then yeah, it would. But saying ‘I talked to god and he agreed it was a good idea to put billboards on lorries telling immigrants to go home’ is no different to simply having thought of it yourself.

If you believe that you had a conversation with God and received an answer then you are either a) schizophrenic or b) His prophet. Either way, you shouldn’t be prime minister, you have other pressing business.

In this case though it’s just cynical politicking. If you look at Theresa May’s decision making, it’s obviously not influenced by the word of Christ.

BoardinBob

an unsafe place for people of faith

😆

Diddums.

Don’t worry, all us unbelievers will be smited and you’ll have the last laugh 🙄

Cougar

There Are None So Blind As Those Who Will Not See.

… which is why we have a report button, so that Moderators don’t need to be omnipresent.

If you look at Theresa May’s decision making, it’s obviously not influenced by the word of Christ.

It’s obviously influenced by the word “Christ.”

nealglover
    Free Member

If you believe that you had a conversation with God and received an answer then you are…

You are of course paraphrasing*

*making stuff up, that she didn’t say.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 283 total)

The topic ‘"I am a practising member of the Church of England and so forth"’ is closed to new replies.