Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 283 total)
  • "I am a practising member of the Church of England and so forth"
  • miketually
    Free Member

Theresa May has described how her faith in God makes her convinced she is “doing the right thing” as Prime Minister.

In a rare interview – in which she said the “hugely challenging” task of Brexit leaves her with little time for sleep – Ms May opened up about her Christian beliefs.

Speaking with the Sunday Times, the Prime Minister was asked how she steeled herself for the job and the tough decisions ahead,

She replied: “It’s about, ‘Are you doing the right thing?’ If you know you are doing the right thing, you have the confidence, the energy to go and deliver that right message.”

Asked if that was a “moral” approach, Ms May added: “I suppose there is something in terms of faith.

“I am a practising member of the Church of England and so forth, that lies behind what I do.

“It’s not like I’ve decided to do what I’m going to do and I’m stubborn. I’ll think it through, have a gut instinct, look at the evidence, work through the arguments, because you have to think through the unintended consequences.”

Theresa May reveals how her faith in God gives her confidence she is ‘doing the right thing’

miketually
    Free Member

I’m mostly intrigued by the “and so forth”.

footflaps

and so forth

It normally means “I let bigotry and racism rule my decisions…”

thestabiliser
    Free Member

It’s a misprint, it’s actually an instruction to the residents of this forum “and so froth…”

DezB
    Free Member

Weird how people need to think there’s a 3rd party telling them what’s right or wrong. How do intelligent people not realise it’s all in their head?!

footflaps

How do intelligent people not realise it’s all in their head?!

The two are normally mutually exclusive in my experience.

bearnecessities

..and we’re off!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Having a Faith or Belief in something is admirable.

Using that as a foil for your Nastyness and Bigotry means you are absolving responsibility for Your Own Actions, thats not admirable and underpins her attitude of superiority.

She has a nice taste in Shoes does Mrs May, quite a collection.

jimjam
    Free Member

bikebouy

Having a Faith or Belief in something science or logic is admirable.

aide

They thought the same thing doing the crusade’s years ago, ‘in the name of god’

footflaps

Having a Faith or Belief in something science or logic is admirable

Again mutually exclusive, the whole point of science is that it’s not underpinned by faith but continually challenged and tested, with evidence deciding the outcome.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Err Jim Jam, you might want to have a little think about that one

footflaps

They thought the same thing doing the crusade’s years ago, ‘in the name of god’

Yep, Tony ‘the messiah Blair’ and the Iraq war….

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s a sad change in society that being openly religious is now socially acceptable.

mikey3
    Free Member

I love religion threads,its not like you get the same old fruitloops going around in circles at all,the thread is always zazzy.

GrahamS

Wow, things must be getting desperate if she is invoking faith already.

I suppose it’s slightly better than starting a new war to secure your premiership though.

allthegear
    Free Member

Arrrgh – this is my freedom / financial security / safety* that she is absolving to her belief in the sky fairy here. It’s just totally unacceptable to be talking like this! 😡

Rachel

*safety because I’m seriously worried much of the protections I enjoy being LGBT (various combinations of which) might well be lost when not pushed by such things as the EU Commission. I seriously worry we will go back to something like 2016 USA…

footflaps

I suppose it’s slightly better than starting a new war to secure your premiership though.

Give her time, when it all goes tits up, she may well yet declare war with the EU….

ninfan
    Free Member

Eh, you’re surprised that the daughter of a Vicar is open about her faith! 😯

seosamh77

GrahamS – Member
    Wow, things must be getting desperate if she is invoking faith already.

Would be my impression.

As for belief in a higher being, who cares, about 70% of the planet do. Get over it. Science can’t actually disprove it, so the “scientists” are up shit creek there. The absence of evidence isn’t proof one way or the other. In fact, you could argue that belief in god is simply the filling of the void of not understanding the mystery’s of the universe, and there seems to be an inherent need for humans to fill this lack of knowledge with something.

So until you can answer what came before the big bang, if there was a big bang, multiverse theories and what not, well, you’re just going to have to live with religion/god as you don’t really have an argument, could well be a god at the end of these questions.

FWIW, I’m not a believer.

johnners
    Free Member

There was a short flirtation with the idea of evidence-based policy making in government a couple of years back but political beliefs (and to a great extent politics) are a lot closer to faith than science.

I’ll think it through, have a gut instinct, look at the evidence, work through the arguments, because you have to think through the unintended consequences

is, sadly, just bullshit.

binners

We’ve been down this road before. Don’t worry though. Last time it all went ok though, and everything turned out really well, so I doubt this time will be any different

5thElefant
    Free Member

Eh, you’re surprised that the daughter of a Vicar is open about her faith!

The fact that a PM feels confident of not losing votes by doing god is shocking.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s just totally unacceptable to be talking like this!

It really should be, shouldn’t it.

kimbers

fillion’s a practising catholic, hates gays n everything

i think its time to get all nationalist again

seosamh77

5thElefant – Member
    It’s a sad change in society that being openly religious is now socially acceptable.

Change in society? Are you discounting history? 😆

Sandwich

Eh, you’re surprised that the daughter of a Vicar is open about her faith!

Unable/unwilling to rebel against her parents as a teenager and stick with it is the real shocker.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Change in society? Are you discounting history before 1990?

I was thinking of the 80s. From Not the Nine O’Clock News to Monty Python. Being openly religious was a guarantee of relentless piss taking.

Something went horribly wrong after that.

seosamh77

I couldn’t pick an actual date convincingly there as religion is so pervasive thoughout history, so I edited.

30/40 odd years though. religious belief was/is largely the default.

Nico
    Free Member

Are you discounting history?

A new twist on “Black Friday”?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Given that the PM seems to be indifferent at best to the less well off and disabled, not to mention the draconian internet surveillance legislation, I would be prepared to wager that Theresa May has a different definition of God than most religiously observant people.

All the same, I’d far rather have a politician steeped in humanism than one who defers all personal responsibility to a magical sky fairy.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Again mutually exclusive, the whole point of science is that it’s not underpinned by faith but continually challenged and tested, with evidence deciding the outcome.

You’re so wrong.

Dark energy and dark matter are both examples of scientific theories that are believed based on the compelling but still inconclusive evidence.

Therefore science still needs an element of ‘faith’ in order to operate. Scientists choose to believe in these theories becuase they make sense epistemologically, not because they are proven.

Indeed, from a purely philosophical and epistemological perspective, that which is held up to be ‘scientific’ is only valid as such if it can be falsified in some way. Therefore, it can never be proven true in all instances and beyond question. Therefore, that which is scientific needs a huge element of faith in order to operate.

Read Karl Popper ‘All Life is Problem Solving’ and then come back to the debate.

seosamh77

Nico – Member
    Are you discounting history?
    A new twist on “Black Friday”?

😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

Oh, and 3 pages by which we’ll all have given up Hope.

footflaps

You’re so wrong.

You don’t seem to understand the scientific method though. Just because there are unknown unknowns, doesn’t mean science if faith based, it just means there are still untested hypothesis.

Read the complete works of Richard Dawkins and then come back to the debate.

seosamh77

footflaps – Member
    You’re so wrong.
    You don’t seem to understand the scientific method though. Just because there are unknown unknowns, doesn’t mean science if faith based, it just means there are still untested hypothesis.

Like God?

binners

Given that the PM seems to be indifferent at best to the less well off and disabled, not to mention the draconian internet surveillance legislation, I would be prepared to wager that Theresa May has a different definition of God than most religiously observant people.

Not really. Some of the smallest-minded, most mean-spirited and unpleasant people I’ve ever met profess themselves to be devout christians

ransos
    Free Member

Like God?

Do we need to talk about celestial teapots?

Anyway, it would seem that religious fundamentalism (i.e, May doing what God tells her to do) is only a problem when it’s Islamic.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

8 pages?

seosamh77

binners – Member
    Some of the most open-minded, most good-spirited and pleasant people I’ve ever met profess themselves to be devout christians

Since we’re talking in wide brush strokes, I’ve presented another view above.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 283 total)

The topic ‘"I am a practising member of the Church of England and so forth"’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.