• This topic has 146 replies, 85 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 147 total)
  • Hype hype! Incoming! New standard alert
  • matt_outandabout

I’d buy a tweed frame..!

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Solid tyres that are relatively light and grippy .

molgrips
    Free Member

2wd e-bikes, there’s an idea. Easy to implement too. Think of the fun you could have with 5″ tyres and two 250W motors.

I thought crazy-legs might’ve been close – perhaps a shaft drive gearbox bike (even though it’s been done, marketers don’t really care) but a new frame material is a nice idea.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    julians
    Free Member

I reckon some kind or organic composite, like carbon fibre but not carbon fibre, maybe some kind of tree fibre

samuelr
    Free Member

Probably bamboo fibre of same sort.

Klunk
    Free Member

another attempt to do away with air in the tyres

Klunk
    Free Member

aheadsets are about 30 years old

twonks

To change something for everyone means all bike types and costs so I think it has to be something universal to a BSO.

Only thing that warrants a news story big enough not to fall flat on its face when it is finally launched is airless tyres imho.

The lattice background picture could be something to do with sidewall contstruction to give compliance.

Struggle to think that it would be a bike manufacturer that came up with the idea though – maybe in collaboration with a tyre manufacturer or similar.

If it is just a standard of something or other, like bottom bracket shell or drop outs etc, surely 90% of the bike buying public would be seriously underwhelmed and therefore not justify these wild claims.

pinetree
    Free Member

Only other standard I can think of that fits every bike from BSO to £12k wonder-machine is the humble bottle cage mount.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

To change something for everyone means all bike types

Unless it means everyone, be they cyclist or not, which would fit with some sort of super eco frame material. Saving the fluffy polar bears, innit.

lawman91

All the hype. All the tin foil hats.

And it’s just a helmet…

https://www.bikemag.com/gear/apparel/helmets/bontrager-introduces-wavecell-helmet-technology/

EDIT: A bloody expensive one too!!! $300 for an open face lid? I’m ooooout.

PJay
    Free Member

That’s rather dull; we’re still waiting the announcement on the Bontrager websites.

roverpig

Wow, that is seriously underwhelming

avdave2

You design a helmet so there is more chance that if you fall of you’ll be able to carry on riding as you always have then claim it changes everything forever. Where is the logic in that, surely it’s been designed to keep everything the same, well your brain anyway.

epicyclo

A return to vertically adjustable quill stems, says he hopefully.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A day early?

andybrad

disappointing

although a good move

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

WTAF

raybanwomble
    Free Member

650A

AlexSimon

If that is actually it, then their copywriter/marketing manager really needs to have a word with themselves.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Lets hope that STW are suitably sarcastic when the news is posted on the front page.

roverpig

Oops, wrong thread

DezB
    Free Member

And it’s just a helmet…

Man, I’ve gone n binned all my bikes in readiness! No way it’s just a helmet! 🙁

lawman91

The date on that image has been changed twice! Originally said 18th, then 19th, seems this morning they changed it to the 20th, perhaps on the back of SC launching the Megatower, which will surely grab way more attention than a helmet… Bad news for Trek/Bontrager is it was already out in the open today…

canopy
    Free Member

what a f’kin letdown.

monkeyboyjc

A lesson in how one instagram post can become the best bit of cycling marketing in 30yrs……

Massive over hype…..

DezB
    Free Member

Helmets are about as interesting as puncture repair kits. You (well most riders) have to have one, but you don’t actually ever want to use it. So how they can hype this in such a way, I do not know.

Something interesting is coming tomorrow, I bet… something else…

PJay
    Free Member

Trek’s Wavecell page has now gone live (it wasn’t accessible when Bike Magazine posted the link; I think they may have jumped the gun somewhat by posting the announcement before Trek) – https://wavecel.trekbikes.com

funkmasterp

Well that’s just shit. I’ve never felt under helmeted

sirromj

Why does the ‘commuter’ wavecell have so few vents? Madness!

rOcKeTdOg

naughty bike mag, we’ve been sworn to secrecy until tomorrow!

scotroutes

Why does the ‘commuter’ wavecell have so few vents? Madness!

Because it is

e-bike approved

PJay
    Free Member

naughty bike mag, we’ve been sworn to secrecy until tomorrow!

The Trek UK homepage is still heralding “Cycling’s most important change in 30 years” to be announced 20/03/19 and “Be the first to know” but supplying your email address; the UK appears to have missed the boat.

I was intrigued by “Trek and Bontrager have partnered with WaveCel to create a helmet technology…” If you Google Wavecell, hidden amongst the pages of Trek/Bontrager bumpf there is a Wavecell.com so it looks like Wavecell might not be a Trek development; have they bought them out or bought some sort of exclusive license?

— Edit —

From the FAQ – Currently, WaveCel is available exclusively in Bontrager helmets.

simondbarnes

The Trek UK homepage is still heralding “Cycling’s most important change in 30 years” to be announced 20/03/19

All of the helmets are on the uk site now. Why all of the hate? Surely improving the safety of helmets is a good thing?

mechanicaldope

Wahoo! I guessed right! Take that y’all…

epicyclo

Is disappoint.

Was out on the bike for several hours today. Wondering what could be so startling was one of the thoughts rattling around.

I came to the conclusion that if

Everything else is history

then it could only mean an end to satan’s chain mangling device, the derailleur. That would be history.

Still disappoint. 🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Why all of the hate?

Not seeing any hate here, more disappointment that it’s nothing really all that ground breaking. The associated ridicule is deserved after Trek having, it seems, massively overhyped this.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I like to feel i played a crucial role in the overhypery

w00dster

Just had the email from Trek and it is Wavecell helmets. Not quite as ground breaking as I expected.

sirromj

Waves. Sells.

Maybe that’s their thinking?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 147 total)

The topic ‘Hype hype! Incoming! New standard alert’ is closed to new replies.