Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Hymns are shite.
  • loddrik
    Free Member

There I said it!! Can’t think of a decent one, ever. Maybe faith brings with it the ability to appreciate hymns, and dress in a conservative manner.

oldnpastit

Loads of great ones. But vampires don’t like hymns. Fact!

loddrik
    Free Member

But they don’t go to church, so they don’t get to hear ‘the real sh!t’!!

toys19
    Free Member

bollocks!
    Jerusalem.

/endthread

jekkyl

All things bright & beautiful is OK and that one that sailors as always sing or play at sailors funerals. For those in peril on the sea.

leffeboy

‘How great thou art’,’ Amazing grace’?
    It clearly does depend on your point of view though

slugwash
    Free Member

Some of the Christmas ones like Little Donkey are alright.

oldnpastit

“Thine be the glory”.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Did anyone else read that as ‘hymens’?

toppers3933
    Free Member

Abide with me is a great hymn. Not that I ever go to church so rarely hear it. Oh and Jerusalem.

leffeboy

and you can always add beer
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V6zs-AKEes[/video]

prettygreenparrot

Lots of people love hymns. Played properly and sung with feeling they can be pleasant. But many seem to be be done either as dirges or happy clappy sing songs depending on their age.

I did not like singing them at school.

Overall, I’m not a really a fan, despite not being a vampire.

wukfit
    Free Member

I vow to thee my country

teethgrinder

There’s one with something about ‘purple-headed mountains’ that never fails to raise a wry smile. Not so good at funerals, though.

neilthewheel

All Things Bright and Beautiful? Utter cack…
    “The rich man in his castle, the poor man at his gate, God gave each his station and ordered his estate.”
    The rest denies evolution, geology etc

leffeboy

There’s one with something about ‘purple-headed mountains’

you’ve gone and ruined it for jekkyl now

jekkyl

🙁

teethgrinder

😆

mrblobby
    Free Member

From memories or being dragged to church as a child the hymns are nowhere near as bad as singing Psalms. Now they really are dire. All seem to be sung to roughly the same tune that doesn’t fit the words and no one really knows how it goes. Proper shite.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Roma’s and religion – normally good bets for STW loddrick. Better luck with this (today’s) troll! Yesterday’s opponents may well be more on your side today, given the subject, so may be less debate on this one.

globalti
    Free Member

Loddrik must be of the age when they were singing Graham Kendrick hymns in his church – they are shamefully banal, happy clappy garbage.

Some of the traditional Victorian hymns are pretty uplifting though. The Victorians invented some good traditions like Scottishness, kilts, bagpipes, the whole Christmas thingy, greetings cards etc. I sometimes wonder if the Victorians didn’t write the bible and invent Jesus.

muddy_bum
    Free Member

Where’s the link to “Every Sperm is sacred” from “the meaning of life”?
    I’m surprised no-ones posted it yet.
    🙂

maccruiskeen

bollocks!
    Jerusalem.

Sounds like more of a punk anthem

zippykona

…with the cross of Jesus left behind the door.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Any of them Romanian?

kimbers

hymns are a bit silly, but then they are about religion and stuff so its not surprising

khani
    Free Member

I like little donkey.. 😳

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Abide with me is a great hymn.

This.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

I’m as atheist as they come, and still think hymns are quality. Jerusalem, I Vow to Thee, My Country, Tell Out my Soul, How Great Thou Art, be Thou My Vision, Onward Christian Soldiers. Bangers.

MrWoppit
    Free Member
    AdamW
    Free Member

I liked ‘We plough the fields and scatter the good seed on the land’ but I can’t sing it now (apart from being atheist) without thinking about the sin of Onan 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

A few are quite rousing tbh but i dont sit and listen to them as a rule

the message is the bit that is poor not the delivery

Jerusalem – I love heckling NO at did his feet.

lerk
    Free Member

Like a lot of other arts, the church was at one point the best income for musicians. Hence why you have Gustavo Holst selling a bit of his ‘Jupiter’ with some words as a hymn rather than the secular work it was intended.

Agree with the point above about the Kendrick stuff though… That, and Sunday school songs goes in my room 101.

grum
    Free Member

At some point I believe they sent people round gathering up traditional folk tune melodies to pinch for Christmas carols etc. (probably the Victorians)

Quite like Good King Wenceslas – has a nice message.

Bangers.

🙂

mildred

I’m as atheist as they come, and still think hymns are quality. Jerusalem, I Vow to Thee, My Country, Tell Out my Soul, How Great Thou Art, be Thou My Vision, Onward Christian Soldiers.

+1

Old Rugged Cross

fasthaggis

It also depends where you hear them.

Not religious ,but I remember wandering in to St Pauls when they were rehearsing ( just before Christmas ). Absolutely amazing

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Sang my fav last Sunday as it happens … Be Still For The Presence of the Lord.

Not a classic a banger …( 😀 @ umop3)… more a get your lighter out

BlindMelon
    Free Member

How great thou art is outstanding and I’m a fan of A lot if Charles Wesley hymns. And can it be being my favourite.

I also love When the roll is called up yonder as it reminds me of my uncle. It was one of his favourite hymns. Johnny Cash does a great version of it.

Maybe OP you should just Faith bash rather than attempting a poor cover up.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Atheist with staunch Catholic upbringing.

Adeste Fideles FTW.

CountZero

I just enjoy a good tune, if it happens to be a hymn as well, that’s fine by me.
    Sometimes a song can have hymn-like qualities, like ‘Prayer in Open ‘D’ , by Emmylou Harris, just breathtakingly lovely song; it’s what I want played at my funeral.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Hymns are shite.’ is closed to new replies.