Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Hydro Cross-Top brakes
  • AlexSimon

Haven’t heard anything from Hope in a while, so giving up waiting for them.

I’ve currently got SRAM Force CX1
    Has anyone read about compatibility with the newish Shimano BL-RX812-R levers?

If not, has anyone researched a reasonably priced Shimano groupset that will be compatible and not toooo much heavier than Force?

schmiken

SRAM use DOT and Shimano mineral so they definitely will not be cross compatible.

If you want hydraulic cross top I’d bite the bullet and buy GRX.

pdw
    Free Member

You can’t mix Sram and Shimano hydraulics as they use different fluids.

Have just built a new bike with GRX 810 and am very impressed. Much prefer it to Force CX1 on my other bike. Merlin have had some good deals on it recently.

Houns

Hope v twin user here

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Hope v twin user here

They’re not hydro top levers though and to be fair, I’d rather have drops only than those, having used them for a long time myself.

AlexSimon

Ok, understood about compatibility.
    Better get saving then. Are the cross-tops compatible with any Shimano grx groupset?

AlexSimon

I see that the left levers are dropper-ready on some models too. That might the final push to change over.

crazy-legs

They’re not hydro top levers though and to be fair, I’d rather have drops only than those, having used them for a long time myself.

I’ve got a v-Twin as well – specifically becasue when I built the bike it was for Three Peaks and back then that was the only option for cross-top levers. Used them for a few years but last time the bike got stripped down I removed the cross-tops and I’m just running the V-Twin now. The brakes feel far better – those cross-tops were a massive extra friction in the whole system.

As mentioned above the Shimano GRX uses mineral oil and SRAM is DOT fluid so if you want hydro cross-tops, your only realistic answer unless you can magically find a set of Hope anywhere (unlikely, they all went to team riders) is to go for a full GRX setup.

I was looking at that option for a while when I was rebuilding the CX but it would have been easier just to buy a whole new bike rather than screw around with all the changes required, especially since the drivetrain I have is perfectly good – the changes would all have been for the brakes.

tinribz
    Free Member

I’ve a pair of the GRX ones on a shelf waiting for a bleedkit to turn up. Will update on install and performance if I remember. Going to be fitted to 105 7020s and can’t see why Tiagra would not work either, all BH90 hoses?

tinribz
    Free Member
    AlexSimon

Thanks for the chart @tinribz

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Hydro Cross-Top brakes’ is closed to new replies.