Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Hydration pack with spine protector, reccommendations
  • falkirk-mark

After watching 24 hours in A&E last night I thought it may be a good time to invest in one , so does anyone use one or have any recommendations or check reviews and just buy one.
    Thanks

drovercycles
    Free Member

The new Camelbak packs look very well-thought-out. Nicely made too.

kayak23

Evoc. Most of theirs have back protectors.

I have the FR Enduro Blackline, which is a nice pack, feels very comfortable and light on the back.

I had a warranty issue with the first one I got though where some stitching came apart. The UK distributor bloke is a kin tool and was trying to say that it was my fault, and he wouldn’t warranty it.

I later managed to get Evoc to warranty it directly thankfully.

Initial problems aside, I love the pack, very nice and secure to wear, great hip belt which is comfortable and doesn’t move.

Downside is the price, and for the high price it is, you don’t even get a bladder…
    I don’t use one anyway, but still. I was surprised.

Overall I’d recommend it if you can get a discount to sweeten the deal.

junitrules
    Free Member

I just have a Berghaus Freeflow 25, which has those pointless (other than protecting your back) air flow plastic things in it.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/berghaus-freeflow-20-rucksack-p292909

It also has holes and loops for attaching a camelbak.

I got it on a deal from debenhams a few years ago so theyre a little more expensive now and prob more than a proper biking bag

mattjg
    Free Member

I have an Evoc FR Trail 20L, it’s an excellently designed and made bit of kit, has a back protector and a rain cover. (I regard a rain cover as essential). It’s a bit big for day rides (I bought it for guiding), if they did a smaller version with the rain cover I’d buy it.

Also the elasticated waist band is really effective at keeping it in place on bumps and jumps (those that I do), this is now an annoyance of other packs.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

That’s a big old bag. Do you carry a spare bike in that thing?

mattjg
    Free Member

Guiding kit, lots of stuff. I also find a big bag with a bit of space left more comfy than a smaller bag stuffed to the gills.

creamegg
    Free Member

the evoc 20L is huge so I went for the 16L one, which is still big but ideal for big rides and its really comfy. Too big for normal rides though imo

falkirk-mark

Had a look at the camelbak one but its not due out till start of next year (liked the fact it was a level 2 protector). I was really looking for one for Tenerife in 10 days time, dunno whether to take the chance and hold out to next year and just use the HAWG that I already have meantime.

mattjg
    Free Member

Cancel the holiday.

HansRey

i’d really recommend Ortovox bags. Theyre german and can be ordered from blue tomato.

http://www.ortovox.com/free-ride/free-rider-16

It’s more for snowboard/skiing, but it might work for biking too.

poah
    Free Member

used to have an evoc FR team and it was the M/L but slightly too big. however, it was comfy to use but not a huge amount of space in the back for stuff. I sold it and recently bought the non-team version for £59 from winstanley’s. Would have went with the enduro 16l version but it was just too expensive. You can get the FR lite from evans for about £76 I think.

make sure you test it on the bike.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Good old Camelback are bringing out a new range for 2015 & you have the option of a removeable back protector, slightly more room than a Mule so I’m waiting for one as the old trusy Mule is knackerd after three years of abuse.

kayak23

Hob Nob – Member 
    That’s a big old bag. Do you carry a spare bike in that thing?

The Evoc? It has a back protector so is designed long for coverage but because of that is lower profile.it’s all about the distribution.
    My 16l Dakine Nomad sticks out way more than this Evoc, which is far comfier.

Spare bike you say?
    Me carrying my mates bike off 2-Alpes after he broke his arm.

Got to have a decent pack… 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Can’t you ghetto something?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I use a slab of D30 from a Race Face “body armour” vest in my backpack as a Ghetto solution.

tomaso
    Free Member

I’ve got the Evoc Freeride Lite which is a skiny 10 litres pack. Its nearly 2 years old and I’ve crashed plenty and its been great. No quality problems to report. The pack is super secure and really sits well but the belly strap is large and takes some getting used to, but like a helmet it is too loose it will slip off and not protect you.

The design takes some getting used to because they are long as they need to cover from the base of your spine to the nape of your neck.

falkirk-mark

Can’t you ghetto something?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SaS-Tec-SC-1-12-Back-Protector/dp/B004DVO0R6

Was thinking of getting one of these and cutting it down to put between hydration bladder and back of the bag (or tie wrap it on between the back and bag)
    This would probably do for the Tenerife trip

falkirk-mark

Perfect hainman, I will need to send someone in the house out for that as I am dayshift all weekend at the refinery.

Edit, 😕 I see they are not due in till 20th we fly out on 18th

hainman
    Free Member

Order it and get it delivered…

chocolateteapot
    Free Member

kayak23 – Member

Spare bike you say?
    Me carrying my mates bike off 2-Alpes after he broke his arm.

Should of told him to man up and ride it 1 handed!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Hydration pack with spine protector, reccommendations’ is closed to new replies.