• This topic has 13 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by benz.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hydration Pack With IntegratedBack Protector or Back Protector + Hydration Pack?
  • benz
    Free Member

A fun ride yesterday, with an off which lead me to think about my back….

So, looking at getting a bit more protection.

I note the following:

Camelbak T.O.R.O Protector 8 @ Merlin

or

LEATT Hydration DBX XL @ CRC

The Leatt seems to offer more space and flexibility for a bit more £

Any real world experiences?

Thanks.

bubs

I got the TORO for a recent trip to Finale. Very comfortable and unobtrusive when worn but possibly a little short if you are tall? I didn’t have an OTB and so can’t comment on the effectiveness. Mine was half price I think from Merlin and is now my main pack (although storage is not as good as the Mule it replaces).

koldun
    Free Member

Dakine may be worth a look too. I think you need to buy the protector separately but their packs are very good.

winston
    Free Member

Thule do the Rail 12 Pro if you want a bit more storage – its incredibly well made and usually can be found with quite a hefty discount. Also has a very high quality protector insert.

joebristol

I believe there is a Scott backpack that has a back protector in too. Start Fitness were knocking them out cheap a while ago. In hindsight I should have bought one at the time.

lardman
    Free Member

Evoc do a good one too.

kayak23

Evoc are great packs. Nicely low-profile. I have the FR Enduro, 12 litres I think.

It don’t come with a bladder though, so that’s an extra. Otherwise good.

maycontainnuts

I use an Evoc fr enduro which has an integrated back protector and bladder. It’s a really good backpack and I don’t really notice the back protector.

I also wear a Poc spine vpd air vest pretty much all the time too. This is good but a bit sweaty in summer and I can sometimes feel it is a little restrictive on the bac of my neck when you are going down steep stuff and you are looking up.

Paceman
    Free Member

I use an Evoc FR Enduro, a brilliant bit of kit.

bgascoyne
    Free Member

going from the topic title my two pence worth is that a pack with integrated back protector is more comfy. While in the Alps I used to wear a hard shell Back Protector and a hydration pack. It was ok and not overly uncomfortable. However I have recently bought a Endura MT500 bag with built in back protection and it is way more comfy – and less straps to worry about!

hatter

+1 for the Thule Rail 12 pro, I have the non-pro version and it’s a great bag, the magnetic hose management system is genius.

duncancallum

I’ve got a thule and its very good

1timmy1
    Free Member

The Camelbak Kudu is good and I use mine all the time. The older model I have has a removable back protector. The new model you can wear the back protector separately. The hydration part is the usual high quality from Camelbak.

benz
    Free Member

Thanks all. Mrs B has kindly purchased the Leatt one for me – seemed to offer the best bang for buck I could find.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hydration Pack With IntegratedBack Protector or Back Protector + Hydration Pack?’ is closed to new replies.